OT: - Back from the Dead (past BY member) | The Boneyard

OT: Back from the Dead (past BY member)

Reaction Score
Guys...Idahohusky here. I posted this on the beer thread, but realized many folks wouldn’t see this.

back from a multiple year hiatus. Been lurking, but not much time beyond that. I stopped being active once the kids started getting born in 2012...but, I’ve been working on a project the last two years, which is about to launch in about six weeks that’s relevant to this beer thread. And since it’s one of your own, I thought you’d enjoy it.

This UConn grad and HUGE husky fan is about to open the Great Falls Brewing Company in Canaan (officially, North Canaan) CT. We’ll be a brewery/taproom built in an renovated train station. We’re currently contract brewing and have a west coast style IPA called “Cascadia Farewell” and a brown called “Derailed”. We were at the Waterbury Brew & Que this past weekend and will be at the Small State Great Beer Fest in Hartford this weekend. Also, we’ll be at Prime16 this week for craft beer week & Three Sheets when the Beeracks takes over their taps. Up north, our beers are on tap at the Woodland, the White Hart, and Lone Oak campground. The reception of both of these beers has beentremendous.

Well open our doors in November, so once we do I’ll let you know. And I hope you come up and give us a try. You can find us on Our website(GreatFallsBrews.com), FB, andInstagram.

I’m looking to support many Husky and BY events in the coming years from my position as owner of this brewery.

Good to be back to connect with you folks...especially if Fishy, UpstateNY, and Tom are still around.

Cheers,
Idahohusky (Trip)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Best wishes on this project. I no longer live in CT but will be visiting a couple times this Fall, including November.

I would love to get Derailed, so please advise when you're opening.

Reaction Score
Awesome. I go to Salisbury 4-5 times a year. I think i know exactly where you are opening this brewery. I will pm you next time i'm coming up - would love to check it out and meet up

Reaction Score
That's awesome. Back in the late 1980's/early 1990's, when craft breweries were becoming popular, I wanted to open a microbrewery and actually wrote a business plan to do that. Then I went to graduate school and never did it. I was into beer very early in the craft beer revolution and still kick myself today for not capitalizing on that.

As you know there have been so many breweries that have opened in the last few years that there is a great risk that many of these places aren't going to make it. I always say that the places that make average to below average beer are going to go out of business. So my advice is to make really good beer and give your customers an interesting experience when they're at the brewery. Also, just based on my experience, I would release special beers pretty often so you create a buzz and people will want to keep going to the brewery to get those beers. Trillium, and Treehouse to a lesser degree, do a great job of doing that.

Congratulations and good luck. I hope you kill it.

Reaction Score
Awesome. I go to Salisbury 4-5 times a year. I think i know exactly where you are opening this brewery. I will pm you next time i'm coming up - would love to check it out and meet up

That would be great! Just let me know, and I’ll give you a tour any time.

Reaction Score
That's awesome. Back in the late 1980's/early 1990's, when craft breweries were becoming popular, I wanted to open a microbrewery and actually wrote a business plan to do that. Then I went to graduate school and never did it. I was into beer very early in the craft beer revolution and still kick myself today for not capitalizing on that.

As you know there have been so many breweries that have opened in the last few years that there is a great risk that many of these places aren't going to make it. I always say that the places that make average to below average beer are going to go out of business. So my advice is to make really good beer and give your customers an interesting experience when they're at the brewery. Also, just based on my experience, I would release special beers pretty often so you create a buzz and people will want to keep going to the brewery to get those beers. Trillium, and Treehouse to a lesser degree, do a great job of doing that.

Congratulations and good luck. I hope you kill it.

I totally agree with you in this assessment. We hired a head brewer from McMenimens from Oregon with some award winning recipes. We also hired his wife and she runs our sales and taproom. So, we emphasized our core mission of making “Great Beer”, because as you say...it’s all that matters...and the UConn Huskies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You left?

Guys...Idahohusky here. I posted this on the beer thread, but realized many folks wouldn’t see this.

back from a multiple year hiatus. Been lurking, but not much time beyond that. I stopped being active once the kids started getting born in 2012...but, I’ve been working on a project the last two years, which is about to launch in about six weeks that’s relevant to this beer thread. And since it’s one of your own, I thought you’d enjoy it.

This UConn grad and HUGE husky fan is about to open the Great Falls Brewing Company in Canaan (officially, North Canaan) CT. We’ll be a brewery/taproom built in an renovated train station. We’re currently contract brewing and have a west coast style IPA called “Cascadia Farewell” and a brown called “Derailed”. We were at the Waterbury Brew & Que this past weekend and will be at the Small State Great Beer Fest in Hartford this weekend. Also, we’ll be at Prime16 this week for craft beer week & Three Sheets when the Beeracks takes over their taps. Up north, our beers are on tap at the Woodland, the White Hart, and Lone Oak campground. The reception of both of these beers has beentremendous.

Well open our doors in November, so once we do I’ll let you know. And I hope you come up and give us a try. You can find us on Our website(GreatFallsBrews.com), FB, andInstagram.

I’m looking to support many Husky and BY events in the coming years from my position as owner of this brewery.

Good to be back to connect with you folks...especially if Fishy, UpstateNY, and Tom are still around.

Cheers,
Idahohusky (Trip)

Reaction Score
Is this the old train station that was burned down by an arsonist and rebuilt?
Interestingly enough both the Canaan and Salisbury train stations were intentionally burned to the ground back in the day. The Salisbury one is a really sordid tale which led to murder, a book was written about it.

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough both the Canaan and Salisbury train stations were intentionally burned to the ground back in the day. The Salisbury one is a really sordid tale which led to murder, a book was written about it.

I would love to get a copy of that book! What’s the name?

Reaction Score
I would love to get a copy of that book! What’s the name?
Resized_Screenshot_20180915-110035001_3159.jpeg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You missed a miserable few years around here, so it sounds like the joke is on all of us.

Somehow that's make you broke.

Tom is the pack mule by which this place trudges steadily forward. He's gonna take this to his grave. Sorry @temery

Reaction Score
Hey Idaho. Cool to hear your update. If I recall correctly, didn’t you drive from like Tennessee or something for a BYC once?

I will definitely swing by if I’m in the area. And if there’s swag on the website I will buy up some too.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score

Cheers,
Idahohusky (Trip)

I’d like to add a brewery owner to my CT FB networking group. Meet new neighbors & share your journey. The vineyards post, so why not beer. It’s been a good source of networking for my real estate & awareness. Lots of CT talk.
Cheers!

Grupo público Live, Work, & Play Connecticut | Facebook

Mike

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69