B1G/SEC Collab | The Boneyard

B1G/SEC Collab

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I would love to see a class action lawsuit of all the other conferences vs. the BIGSEC, but I think schools would be too scared to sign onto it as they want to be one of the chosen to get onto the life raft.

Reaction Score
It is ominous that the P-2 ADs want to meet alone!
But it is not surprising. This is really about the dominance by the P-2 (BIG and SEC).
What the Big 12 and the ACC don't see is that the concept of a "P-4" group of conferences is really a charade.
At best, there is a P-4A and a P-4B. The Big 12 and the ACC comprise P-4B.

My biggest concern is that the P-2 will seek to monetize and dominate college BB in the future.
MM is a huge money maker that currently benefits the NCAA. I suspect that the P-2 imagines it can
dominate BB by taking over MM ala CFP.

I think the Big 12 and the ACC need to wake up!
IMO, BB is going to end up being critically important in stemming the influence of the P-2.
We can't make the Big 12 or the ACC see this unless their BB powers - Duke, UNC, Kansas, Baylor etc see it first.

We deserve to be at the BB table when decisions are being made. How do we get there? Sadly our conference does not help us. It is better to be in the Big 12 or the ACC, because, although they may be second class citizens in CFP, they have some considerable BB clout.

If we are not at that table, pick any BIG or SEC school and imagine that they get into the club and get the gobs of money to develop BB
while we languish. It will be a daunting challenge to compete under that scenario. Can you imagine playing second fiddle to the four P-2
teams we decimated in our most recent BB title run? We ran through NW, Illinois, Alabama and Purdue - each by double digits! If the P-2 has its way, they will be "richer than Croesus" and use that money to dominate in FB and BB (and any other sport that tickles their fancy...).

Right now CFP is really a playoff series for P-2 teams with a bone tossed to Big 12 and the ACC as well as the G-5. Currently 12 of the 14 top ranked FB teams are either BIG or SEC members. I don't see that changing any time soon. But in BB, UConn along with Duke, UNC, Kansas, Baylor etc can move the needle with their gravitas. Now if we could just get them together for a little chat...

Reaction Score
shutting out everyone else from a shot at a playoff berth will kill interest in college football for the majority of the country. pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered
Sadly, I believe you are mistaken. Two of the biggest reasons for P-2 FB dominance are playing on Saturday night in Tuscaloosa (Georgia at Alabama). It probably will break a regular season TV rating record...

Reaction Score
shutting out everyone else from a shot at a playoff berth will kill interest in college football for the majority of the country. pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered

I want to agree with this, but the more programs are left out of the picture and the smaller the group of "haves" becomes, the greater the success has been for college football ratings overall. Ratings suggest that consumers overwhelmingly favor what's happening. If they didn't, wouldn’t the ratings drop?

Reaction Score
The next step has to be some sort of collective bargaining agreement with the players. The P4 are happy grabbing players from G5 schools but don’t like other peer schools stealing their kids.

As we move into the next world of schools legally paying kids the P4 is going to want some guarantees that it’s not a wild world where free agency is rampant. My guess is they will want something in place where if they pay a kid he/she has to stay for a period of time before they can transfer.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear talks of this coming from these meetings.

Reaction Score
The next step has to be some sort of collective bargaining agreement with the players. The P4 are happy grabbing players from G5 schools but don’t like other peer schools stealing their kids.

As we move into the next world of schools legally paying kids the P4 is going to want some guarantees that it’s not a wild world where free agency is rampant. My guess is they will want something in place where if they pay a kid he/she has to stay for a period of time before they can transfer.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear talks of this coming from these meetings.
See Curt Flood

Reaction Score
They don't care. They're all old and just want to enrichen themselves as much as possible before they croak. It's the American Way™

By the time the sport is dead they're long gone.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It is ominous that the P-2 ADs want to meet alone!
But it is not surprising. This is really about the dominance by the P-2 (BIG and SEC).
What the Big 12 and the ACC don't see is that the concept of a "P-4" group of conferences is really a charade.
At best, there is a P-4A and a P-4B. The Big 12 and the ACC comprise P-4B.

My biggest concern is that the P-2 will seek to monetize and dominate college BB in the future.
MM is a huge money maker that currently benefits the NCAA. I suspect that the P-2 imagines it can
dominate BB by taking over MM ala CFP.

I think the Big 12 and the ACC need to wake up!
IMO, BB is going to end up being critically important in stemming the influence of the P-2.
We can't make the Big 12 or the ACC see this unless their BB powers - Duke, UNC, Kansas, Baylor etc see it first.

We deserve to be at the BB table when decisions are being made. How do we get there? Sadly our conference does not help us. It is better to be in the Big 12 or the ACC, because, although they may be second class citizens in CFP, they have some considerable BB clout.

If we are not at that table, pick any BIG or SEC school and imagine that they get into the club and get the gobs of money to develop BB
while we languish. It will be a daunting challenge to compete under that scenario. Can you imagine playing second fiddle to the four P-2
teams we decimated in our most recent BB title run? We ran through NW, Illinois, Alabama and Purdue - each by double digits! If the P-2 has its way, they will be "richer than Croesus" and use that money to dominate in FB and BB (and any other sport that tickles their fancy...).

Right now CFP is really a playoff series for P-2 teams with a bone tossed to Big 12 and the ACC as well as the G-5. Currently 12 of the 14 top ranked FB teams are either BIG or SEC members. I don't see that changing any time soon. But in BB, UConn along with Duke, UNC, Kansas, Baylor etc can move the needle with their gravitas. Now if we could just get them together for a little chat...
Pretty soon these mettings aren't going to be about how to keep the P2 from staying a P4. It's going to be about how do we drop the dead weight and take the name brands and add even more to our already outrageous TV deals. Bye Miss St, hello FSU. Good bye South Carolina, hello Clemson. Good Bye Northwestern, hello UNC. Goodbye Rutgers.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I want to agree with this, but the more programs are left out of the picture and the smaller the group of "haves" becomes, the greater the success has been for college football ratings overall. Ratings suggest that consumers overwhelmingly favor what's happening. If they didn't, wouldn’t the ratings drop?
Because they haven’t fully broken off yet. Those small teams still, in theory, have a shot at the playoffs. The NFL-ificiation of college football and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Reaction Score
Because they haven’t fully broken off yet. Those small teams still, in theory, have a shot at the playoffs. The NFL-ificiation of college football and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.
“A disaster for the human race”??? It’s only college football, for Pete sake.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The fact that this meeting occurred would (will?) be used as evidence in an anti-trust lawsuit. Either these two leagues should talk to a lawyer before doing something like this, or they don't care who knows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom