B. Adams mea culpa | The Boneyard

B. Adams mea culpa

Reaction Score
I questioned whether this kid could really offer much to the team in the future. I was wrong and think he could be a 'piece'
moving forward.

For me, it was never about his shot. I do think his numbers will improve even more. And I still think he will struggle at times
against quick speedy players especially on the defensive end. I hope he learns to use his size and intelligence to help him in these situations.

That said, I have liked what I have seen and believe he could be valuable moving forward.

Reaction Score
Someone made the apt comment that BA is probably more athletic than he seems but he is really overthinking things on the court and playing mechanically. In the past few days I have seen claims that Sid is not that athletic and I think that the comment about BA especially applies to Sid. Maybe Sid is just a guy with a good vert and lacking agility (think noted sub-par Big East athlete Stanley Robinson) but I think he has the whole package.

Reaction Score
Someone made the apt comment that BA is probably more athletic than he seems but he is really overthinking things on the court and playing mechanically. In the past few days I have seen claims that Sid is not that athletic and I think that the comment about BA especially applies to Sid. Maybe Sid is just a guy with a good vert and lacking agility (think noted sub-par Big East athlete Stanley Robinson) but I think he has the whole package.
More seriously, I don’t know how many times I’ve seen this in the course of my fandom. It’s the rare freshman who’s composed enough to take a measured approach to their play in their first year. Generally they just try and go 1000mph, like Brendan, or they’re used to their superior athleticism to continue to help them excel, like Sid. It takes quality coaching to get them to slow down and focus their strengths in order to take advantage of them on the court. Let’s check back in 8 months and we’ll have a better idea where they stand.

Like you Walker, I think Sid has the whole package and will in time be a terror on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
B Adams took a 3 last game that missed, but form and release looked spot-on. Once he gets out of his own way, works out for a summer with Sal and finds a rhythm he'll be alright.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I like BA. He will improve over his 4 years and be an important piece of bringing Uconn back to where it should be.

Four year guys like that are an important part of any successful program. He doesn't have to be BG or Lamb or whomever people want UConn 2-guards to be.

Reaction Score
Due to the transfers & things, we’ve had a weird roster composition of extremely raw & undertalented 5th Years. How bout we let a real “team” mature where we have developed, developing & strictly talented players. Current roster composition has led us to really undervalue some pieces that may be players next year/the year after. Ones where 5-7 years ago they would have been more afterthoughts

Reaction Score
I like B and see the potential. He needs to spend some time with Al this off-season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I remember when people were patient and let kids develop.

Actually no. But that's just me.

I will say, it's a lot easier to be patient when you've got high end talent as juniors and seniors carrying the load.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Due to the transfers & things, we’ve had a weird roster composition of extremely raw & undertalented 5th Years. How bout we let a real “team” mature where we have developed, developing & strictly talented players. Current roster composition has led us to really undervalue some pieces that may be players next year/the year after. Ones where 5-7 years ago they would have been more afterthoughts

You need guys like this, yes, but you can't have too many. Not if you want to be really good.

I don't think we are in a position to take on too many projects right now. Fact is, we don't have a lot of talent at the moment. We need space for that talent. Can't plug them up with guys who may (or crucially, may not) develop.

5th years are very useful too us now, in that they give us an immediate something, without tying up the scholarship.

I'm fine with BA and think he'll be a nice piece, but we don't need a roster full of em.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Four year guys like that are an important part of any successful program.

Correct but...

He doesn't have to be BG or Lamb or whomever people want UConn 2-guards to be.

...somebody does. Hopefully that's Gaffney and Bouk in time.

Reaction Score
I mean we saw what the staff did with Carlton in about one year. He went from another underachieving recruit to a solid starter who will get the bulk of the minutes at the 5 for the next two years. Hopefully we get a repeat of that development with Badams.

Reaction Score
You need guys like this, yes, but you can't have too many. Not if you want to be really good.

I don't think we are in a position to take on too many projects right now. Fact is, we don't have a lot of talent at the moment. We need space for that talent. Can't plug them up with guys who may (or crucially, may not) develop.

5th years are very useful too us now, in that they give us an immediate something, without tying up the scholarship.

I'm fine with BA and think he'll be a nice piece, but we don't need a roster full of em.

Agree, my main fact is that over the past 2 seasons before this one, we lost; MAL, Vance, Durham, Enoch, Akinjo while whiffing on Carey, Reddish & Diablo. Our current roster is guys who in the right scenario wouldn’t have been thrust into the role they were with this team. Let’s give them a little time to develop while also bringing in good talent.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agree, my main fact is that over the past 2 seasons before this one, we lost; MAL, Vance, Durham, Enoch, Akinjo while whiffing on Carey, Reddish & Diablo. Our current roster is guys who in the right scenario wouldn’t have been thrust into the role they were with this team. Let’s give them a little time to develop while also bringing in good talent.

Yeah, I'm one of those who had this season as a write off before going in. Rephrasing, I said I'd be happy and consider it a good season above .500, given where we were, and who we got. We're close.

It's been good to see these guys develop a bit. Carlton has gone further than I thought he would. I still think his lack of athleticism in conjunction with his overall size (he's not 7'1) limits his ceiling a fair bit. But I have liked what I've seen there.

I think picking on any freshman for not being where they "should" or "you expected" is dumb. Sid, B Adams, and even Gilbert I give a lot of leash to. First full season for these guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom