Azzi's "Home Town" Paper Gives Us More Insight | The Boneyard

Azzi's "Home Town" Paper Gives Us More Insight

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I think everything that transpired this year, Kobe and all those kids passing way; there was a kid that she went K through 8 with who passed away in December … I think she just realized life is really short,” Katie says. “And so Paige is up there, but everybody is like, ‘Paige, Paige, Paige,’ she’s best friends with Caroline Ducharme, and one of her best friend from St. John’s is up there. So it’s like three of them that she could be with for three years, four years with one, three years with the other. When are you gonna get that chance to be around these people that you know you love? Not that [she] wouldn’t make great friends elsewhere, but it just feels like life is short and all the boxes are saying yes on that side. So let’s go.”

“It’s something not many people have the opportunity to do,” Fudd adds, “and especially after this year, losing a lot of people, it’s just been kind of like a really special opportunity that I couldn’t turn down.”

"And then of course, there’s the basketball factor.

"The Huskies, under coach Geno Auriemma, have been a powerhouse for decades and produced some of the best pro players in the sport’s history, including Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Tina Charles, Maya Moore, and Breanna Stewart.

“Their players are always ready for the next level and Olympic teams and whatnot. And that’s where I want to be,” Fudd says. “So I know that they’re going to develop me and get me ready for the next level.”

1605797754533.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have generally discounted “friendship” as a key factor for recruits choosing a particular college. Remember when everyone on the U17 team was supposedly heading to ND because SB announced her decision to go there? In this instance, friendship does appear to have been a key factor for Azzi.

At the same time, having family nearby, whether it was mom & dad (MD) or aunt, uncle & cousins (UCLA), did not ultimately sway Azzi’s decision. This was similar to Boston’s decision to move away from her aunt’s family in MA to attend SC.

In any event, trying to get inside the head of a 17-year old can be a frightening prospect.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Still hard to understand how the decision was so hard and specifically with UCLA :confused:

Sounded like one of those 99 boxes vs 1 box checked decisions??
It seems like the draw was the facilities at UCLA. She specifically mentioned that she had no opportunity to get a feel for the team. UCLA can be looked on as an up and comer, but that gets a little old after a while. I agree @eebmg, it is hard to understand why the decision was so hard. I feel the process of making a decision was hard because Azzi doesn't like making decisions, but when she sat down to take a hard look the decision became clear.

As her mom Katie said "all the boxes are saying yes on that side. So let’s go.”

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It seems like the draw was the facilities at UCLA. She specifically mentioned that she had no opportunity to get a feel for the team. UCLA can be looked on as an up and comer, but that gets a little old after a while. I agree @eebmg, it is hard to understand why the decision was so hard. I feel the process of making a decision was hard because Azzi doesn't like making decisions, but when she sat down to take a hard look the decision became clear.
College choice, especially D1 athlete on scholly, is a big decision. Literally the biggest the decision of their lives to date. Most 17 year olds don't have much, if any, decision making experience. Is it any wonder that some struggle to pull the trigger and others are a little too quick? (At least by middle aged adult standards.)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
College choice, especially D1 athlete on scholly, is a big decision. Literally the biggest the decision of their lives to date. Most 17 year olds don't have much, if any, decision making experience. Is it any wonder that some struggle to pull the trigger and others are a little too quick? (At least by middle aged adult standards.)

In the abstract I agree. Specifically in Azzi's case she was blessed with 2 Div 1 basketball parents and she knew what she wanted: winning, NCAA championships, WNBA and Olympics. What program has the proven track record for developing people who achieve those goals?

Appropos of nothing much, did you notice her mother seems to say Paige's notoriety was a negative?

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So are we concerned she can't make quick decisions? :eek::eek:;);)

Reaction Score
“I think everything that transpired this year, Kobe and all those kids passing way; there was a kid that she went K through 8 with who passed away in December … I think she just realized life is really short,” Katie says. “And so Paige is up there, but everybody is like, ‘Paige, Paige, Paige,’ she’s best friends with Caroline Ducharme, and one of her best friend from St. John’s is up there. So it’s like three of them that she could be with for three years, four years with one, three years with the other. When are you gonna get that chance to be around these people that you know you love? Not that [she] wouldn’t make great friends elsewhere, but it just feels like life is short and all the boxes are saying yes on that side. So let’s go.”

“It’s something not many people have the opportunity to do,” Fudd adds, “and especially after this year, losing a lot of people, it’s just been kind of like a really special opportunity that I couldn’t turn down.”

"And then of course, there’s the basketball factor.

"The Huskies, under coach Geno Auriemma, have been a powerhouse for decades and produced some of the best pro players in the sport’s history, including Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Tina Charles, Maya Moore, and Breanna Stewart.

“Their players are always ready for the next level and Olympic teams and whatnot. And that’s where I want to be,” Fudd says. “So I know that they’re going to develop me and get me ready for the next level.”

View attachment 61466

Sluconn posted this article last Friday in the Azzi To UCONN thread. Thanks for extracting it again and creating a separate thread for those who may not have seen there.

Reaction Score
In the abstract I agree. Specifically in Azzi's case she was blessed with 2 Div 1 basketball parents and she knew what she wanted: winning, NCAA championships, WNBA and Olympics. What program has the proven track record for developing people who achieve those goals?

Appropos of nothing mush, did you notice her mother seems to say Paige's notoriety was a negative?

I think her mom just meant people may have assumed that her decision just came down to having Paige at Uconn, however she also has 2 other very good friends there as well which helped make the decision easier.

Reaction Score
I think her mom just meant people may have assumed that her decision just came down to having Paige at Uconn, however she also has 2 other very good friends there as well which helped make the decision easier.
So, it’s Paige, Caroline and who is the third friend up there from St Johns? I assumed it was from St Johns high school team, but it’s SJU?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Appropos of nothing much, did you notice her mother seems to say Paige's notoriety was a negative?
Good point, although I suspect neither of them saw the attention that Azzi did.

No, I didn't seem the mom's comment regarding Paige. Any more context or a link?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good point, although I suspect neither of them saw the attention that Azzi did.

No, I didn't seem the mom's comment regarding Paige. Any more context or a link?

Mom's comment is in the first paragraph quote in the lead post above @CL82.

Reaction Score
I have generally discounted “friendship” as a key factor for recruits choosing a particular college. Remember when everyone on the U17 team was supposedly heading to ND because SB announced her decision to go there? In this instance, friendship does appear to have been a key factor for Azzi.

At the same time, having family nearby, whether it was mom & dad (MD) or aunt, uncle & cousins (UCLA), did not ultimately sway Azzi’s decision. This was similar to Boston’s decision to move away from her aunt’s family in MA to attend SC.

In any event, trying to get inside the head of a 17-year old can be a frightening prospect.
I went through four of them Oldude and only one of them was a daughter. With the boys I'd just tell them to "Go out to the hill and straighten it out". With my daughter I'd just say "Duh" and yell for my wife.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As we know, Azzi is a fun kid.

Poor Colleen! My granddaughter still has no sense of taste after 2 months either.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Colleen Coch is apparently the UConn WBB team manager who was part of Azzi's SJC basketball team for two seasons before getting to UConn.
It's "Koch."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom