Azzi's Ascension | The Boneyard

Azzi's Ascension

Reaction Score
There are some not-so easy--to-see facts from the Northeastern game from UConn's next star:

• Her shot wasn't falling so she decided to be aggressive and perfect from inside the arc to offset
  • She knew this team still needed threes so she set Aubrey, Dorka and Lou up to knock'em down (she was trying to set Aaliyah up on that rebound putback.)
  • She went 1-9....if she's taking 9 shots from 3. I'm happy, I'm fine with 15 or 20 honestly.
  • The most reliable shot on this team is her (or Aaliyah recently) at the free throw line, she went 7-7. leading the team in FTA/FTM
  • She can adapt. On Monday, Schaefer deny her all game. There may be someone guarding her during warm ups. But she will use the overplay against them

We're seeing the ascension of Azzi in real time. I think she thinks too much on the court, but she's most likely assessing what she has to do be effective. "Are they playing me tight, is my shot falling, who's the hot hand, how much time is left in the game and does everyone know who they should be guarding." Im excited to see her run point because she's so unselfish that she looks for the best shot down the floor until she remembers that it's her own.

Reaction Score
Azzi's star is ascending with every game and she will be an AA this year. What a difference this year from last year. I know it's only 2 games, but, her confidence is her driving force this year and from now on. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Azzi's star is ascending with every game and she will be an AA this year. What a difference this year from last year. I know it's only 2 games, but, her confidence is her driving force this year and from now on. GO HUSKIES!!!
You and AzzisBraids hit the nail on the head. She's got the tools, it was simply the mental part that need refreshing after her injury plagued Freshman year. Now that she's again got that national press noticing, odds are she may make that 10 person AA team this year. While we love all our Huskies, Azzi's positive vibe makes it easy to root for her! Yep - we're finally getting a glimpse of her future stardom. As Geno said, and we've witnessed these first couple of games, this team's chemistry is a strength, and Azzi - with her varied repertoire - is the perfect fit - go Huskies!

Reaction Score
As Geno said, and we've witnessed these first couple of games, this team's chemistry is a strength, and Azzi - with her varied repertoire - is the perfect fit - go Huskies!
Exactly. Chemistry is the strength of every great program, and none has a longer tradition of great chemistry than we do. It’s always been at the core of Geno’s approach. It’s how he recruits, it’s how he runs practices, it’s how he talks about his players. It’s everything. You don’t get players like Paige and Azzi otherwise.

Reaction Score
Good player. Not yet great. I think defenders like Jones and Beal can basically shut her out a game. Maybe she shows more but I'm just not sold that she is that great. Hopefully I'm wrong would love to see it. Paige is great

Reaction Score
Good player. Not yet great. I think defenders like Jones and Beal can basically shut her out a game. Maybe she shows more but I'm just not sold that she is that great. Hopefully I'm wrong would love to see it. Paige is great
I hear you. Last season, her game was narrow -- mainly perimeter shooting -- and she could be knocked off it. After the Tennessee game and the game at Marquette, this was less true and she rediscovered other aspects of her game. In the FF and the NC games, Stanford and SC were able to defend her effectively, and she made the sort of mistakes you'd expect from a freshman on such a large stage. One tiny sign of better things even then was her free throw shooting down the stretch -- that was a hint that she wasn't completely dazzled by the bright lights.

But yes, I also want to be shown what the new Azzi can do before I anoint her Paige 2.0. I think we're seeing indications that this may be exactly what's coming, and I'm optimistic. Right now, though, I just want to see the full reality of it. If that comes to pass, we're all going to invite you to join the Azzi parade with the rest of us.

Reaction Score
Azzi hasn't shown it enough to be sure she will be great, but that first game is a good sign of the changes she needs to make to be great. As others have said, she was largely a spot up three point shooter last year. Part of that was being a freshmen, trying to fit in not dominate, and of course her mobility was affected by her foot problems.

This year she is healthy, and needs to dominate with Paige's injury. The first game was a great sign for two main reasons. She looked aggressively for two point shots on her own, and she wound up on the foul line a great deal. Last year her rate of 2pt attempts was actually quite low and she rarely got foul shots.

If she can get enough separation, we know she can nail pull up mid range jumpers. At the foul line she is close to automatic, so it is a shame if she doesn't wind up there much. Almost all of her increase in points per minute will come from inside the arc and foul line, where potentially she could go from a relatively low rate of attempts to much much higher ones. Instead of fitting in, she will be turned loose.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the tone of this post. It's the "basically shut her out a game," comment. UCONN doesn't play isolation basketball. And there is no way one player could guard her off of a pick to the degree you are implying unless the UCONN team is playing badly.

Right now Dorka is possible WNBA player. Edwards looks like a future pro player. Lou is an extremely savvy expereinced offensive player. Caroline when healthy is terrific. So these four players will be incapable of getting Azzi shots? If that is the case then it's not Beal that shut Azzi down.

And no opportunity for just a handful of fastbreaks? Barring injury this version of UCONN if healthy wont have to have Evina guarding Boston in the post. So at least some rebounds will give Azzi some opportunities at the other end too.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Azzi has been inordinately dazzled. She was limited some by her foot injury, which inhibited her ability to get to the hoop and create off the dribble. That was a huge part of her game before last year. Everyone raved about Kiki Rice last year but Azzi was at a complexly different level with her total game in high school. With Paige absent she knows this is her team and, if anything, I want to put the ball in her hands even more often.

Reaction Score
I think she is ready to embrace the challenge of being the top dog / bell cow for the Huskies. You know she certainly has the support of her team - and especially Paige's. As many others have pointed out - the Huskies certainly are not devoid of other weapons - and Azzi will love it when they pop too.

But get ready, because one of these games in the near future I sense Azzi is going to put it all together - inside game, mid range game, and beyond the arc......and the ol 'Yard here will go nuts. :)

Reaction Score
In the FF and the NC games, Stanford and SC were able to defend her effectively, and she made the sort of mistakes you'd expect from a freshman on such a large stage. One tiny sign of better things even then was her free throw shooting down the stretch -- that was a hint that she wasn't completely dazzled by the bright lights.

I don’t think Azzi has been inordinately dazzled.
Yes, she wasn't inordinately dazzled. But in the Stanford game and the NC game her production fell off considerably and she made a few mistakes that we might reasonably attribute to the pressure of performing in such a game as a freshman. Was she playing through a foot injury and an illness? Yes, that was also the case.

Well, she's not a freshman anymore and we have good reason to expect much greater things from her. And I for one am on the edge of my seat waiting for Monday's game. That was the upshot of my post -- that she hasn't proven herself to be Paige 2.0, or whatever comical way we have of saying this is now "her team," but there are plenty of indications that she is about to.

Reaction Score
I hear you. Last season, her game was narrow -- mainly perimeter shooting -- and she could be knocked off it. After the Tennessee game and the game at Marquette, this was less true and she rediscovered other aspects of her game. In the FF and the NC games, Stanford and SC were able to defend her effectively, and she made the sort of mistakes you'd expect from a freshman on such a large stage. One tiny sign of better things even then was her free throw shooting down the stretch -- that was a hint that she wasn't completely dazzled by the bright lights.

But yes, I also want to be shown what the new Azzi can do before I anoint her Paige 2.0. I think we're seeing indications that this may be exactly what's coming, and I'm optimistic. Right now, though, I just want to see the full reality of it. If that comes to pass, we're all going to invite you to join the Azzi parade with the rest of us.
That is all I'm saying once I see her dominate like we tend to believe she is capable of. I really hope she does

Reaction Score
Yes, she wasn't inordinately dazzled. But in the Stanford game and the NC game her production fell off considerably and she made a few mistakes that we might reasonably attribute to the pressure of performing in such a game as a freshman. Was she playing through a foot injury and an illness? Yes, that was also the case.

Well, she's not a freshman anymore and we have good reason to expect much greater things from her. And I for one am on the edge of my seat waiting for Monday's game. That was the upshot of my post -- that she hasn't proven herself to be Paige 2.0, or whatever comical way we have of saying this is now "her team," but there are plenty of indications that she is about to.
I look at lateral movement and first step burst. I didn't see either last year, yet maybe it was because of her injury. But Northeastern is not a barometer to judge that

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the tone of this post. It's the "basically shut her out a game," comment. UCONN doesn't play isolation basketball. And there is no way one player could guard her off of a pick to the degree you are implying unless the UCONN team is playing badly.

Right now Dorka is possible WNBA player. Edwards looks like a future pro player. Lou is an extremely savvy expereinced offensive player. Caroline when healthy is terrific. So these four players will be incapable of getting Azzi shots? If that is the case then it's not Beal that shut Azzi down.

And no opportunity for just a handful of fastbreaks? Barring injury this version of UCONN if healthy wont have to have Evina guarding Boston in the post. So at least some rebounds will give Azzi some opportunities at the other end too.
No offense but if u watched last year certain defenders were able to bother her game. Especially big Gaurds like Jones and Beal. It's not saying she hasn't improved, but it us to note that can she score when she got a defender in her pocket. Paige can, Taursi could, Stewie could. Do we know if Azzi can. I'm not sure

Reaction Score
I look at lateral movement and first step burst. I didn't see either last year, yet maybe it was because of her injury. But Northeastern is not a barometer to judge that
Azzi's not a "twitchy first step" type guard, like Harmon or Diamond Johnson. She's more of a "get the defender on her hip" and then power through to the rim guard. This is also how I'd describe Caroline. They can be effective this way because their perimeter shooting means they have to be guarded tightly. This allows them to get past defenders more easily. Here's an example of this from last year's Tennessee game. Azzi drives past Horston (look for the 1:15:20 mark):

Reaction Score
I agree with Bone Dog. Azzi is not a twitch fast type guard. Yet, she can be more like Curry, i.e., rain 3's and when the defender comes out to cover, with deft handles, drive to the basket. Also, Azzi is good at running fade away's in the mid range and fake fades turned into moves to the rim. This variety of moves/shots may be enough to propel Azzi to AA status. It depends on how aggressive Azzi is. Viewing her HS video history suggests that she, when comfortable, has significant aggression to carry her to AA status and primier point guard. We will learn this year. Her teammates must cooperate, however. Must get her open shots, to start her off and raise the temperature. Once she gets hot, its over. We will also learn a lot about her mental composition this year. What happens when you make Azzi mad? What does it take to get her focused on burning the house down?

Reaction Score
Azzi's not a "twitchy first step" type guard, like Harmon or Diamond Johnson. She's more of a "get the defender on her hip" and then power through to the rim guard. This is also how I'd describe Caroline. They can be effective this way because their perimeter shooting means they have to be guarded tightly. This allows them to get past defenders more easily. Here's an example of this from last year's Tennessee game. Azzi drives past Horston (look for the 1:15:20 mark):
I'm getting a lot of flack for stating something I've seen. Like i said I hope she shows out this year. Honestly she deserves it. I see sometimes if you are a realist you get hammered lol

Reaction Score
I'm getting a lot of flack for stating something I've seen. Like i said I hope she shows out this year. Honestly she deserves it. I see sometimes if you are a realist you get hammered lol
I wasn't giving you flak. I was responding to you with how she looks to me. You invited me to watch last year's games, and so I linked to a video of an important game from last year that illustrates the very question at hand. That's realism.

Our guards are not slow, but that quick jab step style of attack is not what we have. Paige is fast, but not quick, same with Azzi Caroline Lou. They make decisions before their defender is ready for it. That's mental quickness, often called "court savvy" or "high basketball IQ."

Nika is quick in the traditional sense, but she doesn't have the offensive skills yet to turn that quickness into a jab step jumper, or other quick move to the basket.

You know who's super quick on the team? Aubrey.

Reaction Score
No offense but if u watched last year certain defenders were able to bother her game. Especially big Gaurds like Jones and Beal. It's not saying she hasn't improved, but it us to note that can she score when she got a defender in her pocket. Paige can, Taursi could, Stewie could. Do we know if Azzi can. I'm not sure
None taken. Hope you don't mind the back-and-forth. I agree regarding "bother her game" but don’t agree "shut her down." And I agree she hasn't shown to be DT, Stewie and Maya and Paige. But that wasn't my reply to you.

It was the terminology you initially used vs now when you say "bother her game." It's completely different than the terminology "basically shut her down."

But if you are going to compare her to DT, Stewie and Maya and Paige, that wasn't my intent in my reply to you. It was your comment "shut her down." I agree she isn't those yet only that if she isn't that doesn't mean she is "shut down." We're probably talking the same thing. "Shut her down" - maybe you meant you're skeptical going against South Carolina that she is going to be as dominant as the others?

Reaction Score
None taken. Hope you don't mind the back-and-forth. I agree regarding "bother her game" but don’t agree "shut her down." And I agree she hasn't shown to be DT, Stewie and Maya and Paige. But that wasn't my reply to you.

It was the terminology you initially used vs now when you say "bother her game." It's completely different than the terminology "basically shut her down."

But if you are going to compare her to DT, Stewie and Maya and Paige, that wasn't my intent in my reply to you. It was your comment "shut her down." I agree she isn't those yet only that if she isn't that doesn't mean she is "shut down." We're probably talking the same thing. "Shut her down" - maybe you meant you're skeptical going against South Carolina that she is going to be as dominant as the others?
No offense taken friend. By numbers they did shut her down. In 3 games against those two name defenders she had 0, 3 and 8 points.

Reaction Score
No offense taken friend. By numbers they did shut her down. In 3 games against those two name defenders she had 0, 3 and 8 points.

Paige on anybody goes off. I guess that is why I say she ain't there yet

Reaction Score
I'm looking at SC. She was hurt one game and sick in the other. The 1st game she went on injured list immedately after. She onll played 10 minutes.

The other game she was actually pulled too- it's a title game - she was so sick she couldn't play even half the game. Every kid's dream is to play in a title game on Nat'l TV. And you're going to use hard numbers in those games to claim "shut down?"

Reaction Score
I'm looking at SC. She was hurt one game and sick in the other. The 1st game she went on injured list immedately after. She onll played 10 minutes.

The other game she was actually pulled too- it's a title game - she was so sick she couldn't play even half the game. Every kid's dream is to play in a title game on Nat'l TV. And you're going to use hard numbers in those games to claim "shut down?"
Maybe but Paige was gimpy also and she balled out. I think what I'm saying is I see her get buckets, but when big strong defenders guard her it's not the same. The big guards bodied her and closed quick. So her first step when they close needs to be assertive. I think last year maybe injury and Paige played with that. But to say now she is a great is premature. Can she be, I hope so and I think skillset wise she is. Just show it when things get uncomfortable.

Reaction Score
I agree about those games. But I may interpret them slightly differently. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to explain this, since I'll just end up with a similar conclusion to yours. But here goes:

In both games against SC, Azzi didn't perform well. The first one was freshman inexperience -- no way Beal or Cooke or Henderson, does that to her again. In the NC game, I think she was under the weather, so I don't credit the defense with that. It reveals little.

By contrast, in the Stanford game, she shot well and was money from the free throw line down the stretch. BUT, she made a few freshman errors that helped allow Stanford back in the game. I don't expect those to recur. This isn't freshman Azzi anymore, as Geno himself has said.

Now, here's the thing which I think you'll agree with me about: Freshman Paige torched SC. She torched Baylor in the EE game. Beal's hair was on fire after the first one. And she would have done the same thing in both subsequent games last year if her team had been ready to "have her back." When Paige scores over Beal, or DiDi in the Baylor game, or any other great defender, it's because she knows how to use screens, how to read an opponent's stance, how to move before they're ready. She never faces down an opponent, faking one two three times before dribbling between her legs and trying to out quick them. That is not her game. She sets up plays well in advance, shoots over a defender, rubs them off a screen, throws a skip pass, etc. In other words, she makes them commit to covering too close and uses that to get past them, or she forces them to back off for fear of a drive or a pass, and then she shoots over them. She has too many weapons, and doesn't need to rely on twitchy-quickness. She beats you with her team, not with a jab step or a spin move. This is the Azzi I hope we see this season -- Paige 2.0.

By the way, I suspect a healthy Caroline can do these things too.

Reaction Score
Azzi did have the flu last year which didn't help. So cut her some slack. Still, it's real hard to score on top competition and we should all know that by now. A player like Paige is the anomaly, not the norm. And we only have one Paige. Ergo, needing a little more from everyone else and an optimized offense. Notice the entire team seems to be running more this year, instead of mainly just CW. We are going to need that. Geno is great at looking to see what he has to work with and then making the best of it, which is what coaching is all about IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom