Azzi Fudd April 2019 injury -with 1/3/20 update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd April 2019 injury -with 1/3/20 update

Reaction Score
If you've been following the recruit or recent Azzi Fudd threads you may already have the background. If not, Fudd went to the ground in severe pain on Saturday after coming down on a shot attempt. It appeared to be a non-contact injury.

Here's how she describes it:

“I was attacking the basket and I was playing against a more physical defender, so I did a hop-to-power move and got bumped while I was in the air,” Fudd recalled. “My foot slipped when I landed, and my knee just buckled. I knew whatever it was it could not be good because it hurt so bad.”

Fudd’s mother Katie Smrcka-Duffy Fudd said, per doctor’s orders, Azzi is waiting for her MCL to heal before undergoing surgery to repair her ACL.

“We’re looking at longevity for her and we want to make sure that everything’s taken care of all the way through,” Katie said. “She could be back at the beginning of her season, she could be back midseason, we’re just not sure. She’s not in any rush.”

ALL-USA Player of the Year Azzi Fudd in good spirits after tearing ACL and MCL
I Have spent a lot of time in Ortho Rehab. The MCL is a new term to me--what is it??

Reaction Score
I Have spent a lot of time in Ortho Rehab. The MCL is a new term to me--what is it??
9236982E-59D4-404A-A4C0-3F165FA48759.jpeg

Reaction Score
Terrible to happen, heart goes out to her.... not sure every time there is an injury or other event we all feel compelled to think that there was something that could have prevented it or we need to do something different (or blame something, somebody or group of people.) This is life, I am sure she had access to the right training/medical resources more than 99% of the other athletes her age considering her profile and affiliations.

Wishing her a speedy and full recovery!

Reaction Score
Terrible to happen, heart goes out to her.... not sure every time there is an injury or other event we all feel compelled to think that there was something that could have prevented it or we need to do something different (or blame something, somebody or group of people.) This is life, I am sure she had access to the right training/medical resources more than 99% of the other athletes her age considering her profile and affiliations.

Wishing her a speedy and full recovery!
I doubt Geno will stop recruiting her. Uconn does a great job fixing knee problems--hint, hint.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s going to be a long long l-o-n-g dry summer. I sincerely hope this is the last post I read about a player suffering a serious injury of any kind. I enjoy reading posts and comments about good things happening to our girls. These types of posts are depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
How can anyone stop recruiting Azzi? A player with her talent doesn't come along very often. You can bet the house that Geno will continue to recruit her.

Would you still recruit her if she doesn't play another game in high school?

I would but just curious about others opinion.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

If Fudd misses all of her junior and senior seasons in high school then something catastrophically wrong will have happened to her physically. Whatever that is would change the equation completely. But that's not the case here. She should be back strong as ever.

Reaction Score
If Fudd misses all of her junior and senior seasons in high school then something catastrophically wrong will have happened to her physically. Whatever that is would change the equation completely. But that's not the case here. She should be back strong as ever.

My medical knowledge tops out at boo boos (my youngest daughter can verify I'm amazing at them) but I read 12-18 months recovery and the surgery won't be until this summer.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
My medical knowledge tops out at boo boos (my youngest daughter can verify I'm amazing at them) but I read 12-18 months recovery and the surgery won't be until this summer.

From what I understand, she has to wait until the MCL heals--a couple months--then get the ACL operated on. I think that amounts to about 1 year, perhaps a bit more although her mom was quoted as thinking the timeline would be much shorter.

Fudd’s mother Katie Smrcka-Duffy Fudd said, per doctor’s orders, Azzi is waiting for her MCL to heal before undergoing surgery to repair her ACL.

“We’re looking at longevity for her and we want to make sure that everything’s taken care of all the way through,” Katie said. “She could be back at the beginning of her season, she could be back midseason, we’re just not sure. She’s not in any rush.”

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

I don't think that'll be the case and I agree with @Sluconn Husky that she'll be back stronger than ever. I think she'll rehab her entire junior school season, but I think you'll see her back to high level competition next spring/summer.

But like we've seen with Geno and other recruits, a high school injury doesn't scare him away as long as he feels like they'll contribute when they arrive.

Reaction Score
From what I understand, she has to wait until the MCL heals--a couple months--then get the ACL operated on. I think that amounts to about 1 year, perhaps a bit more although her mom was quoted as thinking the timeline would be much shorter.

I dont think a tear heals itself. What I read was they are waiting for MCL to strengthen before they do the surgery to repair both the MCL and ACL tears.

With her work ethic I agree she will be back stronger than ever. She also has some minor injuries (ankle, hip, shoulder) that some rest might be a good thing

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I dont think a tear heals itself. What I read was they are waiting for MCL to strengthen before they do the surgery to repair both the MCL and ACL tears.

With her work ethic I agree she will be back stronger than ever. She also has some minor injuries (ankle, hip, shoulder) that some rest might be a good thing

A tear of the MCL does indeed heal itself. It takes anywhere from 1-6 weeks depending on severity.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I'm kinda stunned at her [too?] quick return to playing. Best of luck to her...stay healthy.
I hope we can get an occasional Boneyarder report on how she looks on the court.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Change that original thread title!
Agree, I’m old and I don’t like the stress on my heart.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm kinda stunned at her [too?] quick return to playing. Best of luck to her...stay healthy.
I hope we can get an occasional Boneyarder report on how she looks on the court.

The rule of thumb is 6 to 9 months for an ACL injury and less time for an MCL, so a young athlete coming back on her schedule sounds about right. I imagine she was very dedicated in her rehab regime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom