Azzi Fudd April 2019 injury -with 1/3/20 update | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd April 2019 injury -with 1/3/20 update

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If you've been following the recruit or recent Azzi Fudd threads you may already have the background. If not, Fudd went to the ground in severe pain on Saturday after coming down on a shot attempt. It appeared to be a non-contact injury.

Here's how she describes it:

“I was attacking the basket and I was playing against a more physical defender, so I did a hop-to-power move and got bumped while I was in the air,” Fudd recalled. “My foot slipped when I landed, and my knee just buckled. I knew whatever it was it could not be good because it hurt so bad.”

Fudd’s mother Katie Smrcka-Duffy Fudd said, per doctor’s orders, Azzi is waiting for her MCL to heal before undergoing surgery to repair her ACL.

“We’re looking at longevity for her and we want to make sure that everything’s taken care of all the way through,” Katie said. “She could be back at the beginning of her season, she could be back midseason, we’re just not sure. She’s not in any rush.”

ALL-USA Player of the Year Azzi Fudd in good spirits after tearing ACL and MCL

Reaction Score
Women and girl players are far more athletic than they have ever been. They are doing moves on the court that were once exclusive only to males. Unfortunately, women's joints are lighter constructed so that makes them more susceptible to these type of joint injuries. They really need to take extra pains to strengthen those area's via weight training.

I can not understand why they have not yet constructed a lightweight and flexible reinforcement brace for those areas of high risk.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The title of the story is

'Her jump shot is one of the best in high school hoops. It’s an exact replica of her mom’s. "

Come on Azzi, you don't have to do everything your Mom does. :(

Reaction Score
If you've been following the recruit or recent Azzi Fudd threads you may already have the background. If not, Fudd went to the ground in severe pain on Saturday after coming down on a shot attempt. It appeared to be a non-contact injury.

“I was attacking the basket and I was playing against a more physical defender, so I did a hop-to-power move and got bumped while I was in the air,” Fudd recalled. “My foot slipped when I landed, and my knee just buckled. I knew whatever it was it could not be good because it hurt so bad.”

Fudd’s mother Katie Smrcka-Duffy Fudd said, per doctor’s orders, Azzi is waiting for her MCL to heal before undergoing surgery to repair her ACL.

“We’re looking at longevity for her and we want to make sure that everything’s taken care of all the way through,” Katie said. “She could be back at the beginning of her season, she could be back midseason, we’re just not sure. She’s not in any rush.”

best wishes to for a swift and full recovery...................certainly doesn't make it sound like she was involved in a dirty play.....................

Reaction Score
The "more physical player" she had the collision with was Hailey Van Lith, right?
Yes. See the video near the bottom of page 107 in the UConn recruiting thread and determine for yourself if you see a collision. After 20 views I'm still looking.

Reaction Score
Azzi has her work cut out for her. Tough girl the way she's handled things...color me very impressed.

Hope you take it slow and make a full recovery, young lady!

Reaction Score
Women and girl players are far more athletic than they have ever been. They are doing moves on the court that were once exclusive only to males. Unfortunately, women's joints are lighter constructed so that makes them more susceptible to these type of joint injuries. They really need to take extra pains to strengthen those area's via weight training.

I can not understand why they have not yet constructed a lightweight and flexible reinforcement brace for those areas of high risk.

There are many braces, but none of them help much when it comes to non-contact injuries. There are almost a dozen possible causes and no brace really deals with them.

Reaction Score

That's terrible news. I hope she recovers and I wish her the best.

Reaction Score
Yes. See the video near the bottom of page 107 in the UConn recruiting thread and determine for yourself if you see a collision. After 20 views I'm still looking.
Yeah I couldn't figure out how to watch it in slow motion, but it doesn't look intentional to me. Certainly not "malicious" like that one guy said.

Reaction Score
There are many braces, but none of them help much when it comes to non-contact injuries. There are almost a dozen possible causes and no brace really deals with them.
At least they could help eliminate some of the contact ones.

Reaction Score

At least they could help eliminate some of the contact ones.

Yes, they probably would help somewhat for the 25% of female ACL injuries that are caused by contact. But most players don't want to wear two braces, which may affect their game, as a purely precautionary instrument on healthy knees.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The local CBS affiliate ran a brief story on Azzi on the 11 PM broadcast. They mentioned that she was the first sophomore and first player from DC to be NPOY, she just tore her MCL and ACL in Colorado, and her dad said her spirits are good. It's good for HS girls to get recognition. I'm also glad to hear Tim saying that Azzi's spirits are good.

Reaction Score
Players on a college level have access to sports doctors and PT programs and still get injured. Great players in high school don't have that kind of support.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom