Azura: A Question | The Boneyard

Azura: A Question

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Question arises from this little soliloquy of Geno's :

“I guess I’m old-fashioned when I come to that,” Auriemma said. “I think the players should play to their stature. When you’re 6-5, 6-6 and all you want to do is stand there and shoot 3s, you’re not a basketball player; you’re a guy who just likes to shoot the basketball. That first quarter I wasn’t too thrilled and got her to be more aggressive; she was a lot better in the second quarter and in the second half because we got her moving. she went to the offensive glass, she did things that basketball players do. A lot of the stuff is brand new to her. She’s used to standing in one spot; we’re trying to get her to move and that’s not natural. Those guys were pretty big out there, and she had a pretty good day.”

(you can see him say it too here: Stevens stars as UConn rolls to victory in PK80 event)

The question is actually a 2 parter. What were they teaching her at Duke for 2 years? What were we teaching her in her sit down year at UConn?

I guess it is so starkly surprising to me. When he says: "A lot of this stuff is brand new to her." Well, I'm just amazed.

Then the question: If she takes to all this "new stuff", how good can she get?

Reaction Score

“I guess I’m old-fashioned when I come to that,” Auriemma said. “I think the players should play to their stature. When you’re 6-5, 6-6 and all you want to do is stand there and shoot 3s, you’re not a basketball player; you’re a guy who just likes to shoot the basketball. That first quarter I wasn’t too thrilled and got her to be more aggressive; she was a lot better in the second quarter and in the second half because we got her moving. she went to the offensive glass, she did things that basketball players do. A lot of the stuff is brand new to her. She’s used to standing in one spot; we’re trying to get her to move and that’s not natural. Those guys were pretty big out there, and she had a pretty good day.”

(you can see him say it too here: Stevens stars as UConn rolls to victory in PK80 event)

The question is actually a 2 parter. What were they teaching her at Duke for 2 years? What were we teaching her in her sit down year at UConn?

I guess it is so starkly surprising to me. When he says: "A lot of this stuff is brand new to her." Well, I'm just amazed.

Rocky: Geno knew all the above a year ago. After I read your first paragraph (the large one) Immediately your questions came to mind.
Geno has had a year and about 4/5 months--to transfer Azura from a 3 point shooter, which everyone who watched Duke knew she was, into a post player. Many here on this board were sure she would remain (mostly) a 3 shooter and occasionally enter the post--that being Napheesa domain.
Geno as some of us thought --you can't waste that height on perimeter-I- is trying to make her into a true post.
It is a work in progress, obviously, and even with Geno's comments above, he is not surprised.

I'll answer your last line question: If she takes the training seriously: The stars are the limit/unlimited--her pockets shall be full in the WNBA/Europe.

Reaction Score

I commented on this very subject on another thread........it shows that we aren't all a bunch of blowhards when we insist that the training a player gets at UConn is far more intense and multifaceted then at other big basketball programs.................instead of just polishing existing skills, UConn challenges a player to expand their game into areas they didn't know were even possible....................when a talented but flawed recruit turns down UConn, I just shake my head because the odds are that player will never reach their full potential......................

Reaction Score
It is mentioned by countless analysts that UConn players are much better basketball players when they leave than when when they enter UConn and it is because Geno pushes them to work on things they don't like but will make them better players. There is typically a Hugh jump in performance for UConn players from freshmen to Sophomore year or latest from sophomore to junior (see KLS, Phee, Danger, Gabby, etc for recent examples). Z came to UConn as a tall player who likes to shoot 3's and somewhat avoid physical contact (reminded me a bit of Isis Tillis from Duke past) and Geno is working on her to become closer to Stewie type player. That is the reason why she should stay the 2 years at UConn as next season with a full season of UConn actual basketball, she'll be ready to claim her spot as one of the top players in the country!

Reaction Score
I commented on this very subject on another thread...it shows that we aren't all a bunch of blowhards when we insist that the training a player gets at UConn is far more intense and multifaceted then at other big basketball programs.......instead of just polishing existing skills, UConn challenges a player to expand their game into areas they didn't know were even possible.....when a talented but flawed recruit turns down UConn, I just shake my head because the odds are that player will never reach their full potential.......
\

You know more about lower level and top recruits than I---but if a "questionable designation" top recruit, opts to not go to Uconn--Que Sera-what never was-never is. Look at EDD, moan, moan, moan--I wasn't happy in the mode of exit-but she was not truly missed. And she has done well on the world stage. Please refrain from using the name my cousin registered for me.

Reaction Score
It is mentioned by countless analysts that UConn players are much better basketball players when they leave than when when they enter UConn and it is because Geno pushes them to work on things they don't like but will make them better players. There is typically a Hugh jump in performance for UConn players from freshmen to Sophomore year or latest from sophomore to junior (see KLS, Phee, Danger, Gabby, etc for recent examples). Z came to UConn as a tall player who likes to shoot 3's and somewhat avoid physical contact (reminded me a bit of Isis Tillis from Duke past) and Geno is working on her to become closer to Stewie type player. That is the reason why she should stay the 2 years at UConn as next season with a full season of UConn actual basketball, she'll be ready to claim her spot as one of the top players in the country!

Many programs can say : Their players are better players and better humans when they leave than when they arrived. Some is just natural maturation.\
Geno and Christine are not the only "life"/basketball teacher, maybe the best. Every year out of 20 or more players Uconn only puts 1,2,3 into the Wnba and from there Europe, all the rest come from some other college. What separates the Uconn players going into the WNBA--Uconn is the ONLY college that prepares a player to hit the floor producing, immediately. The Uconn game is an image of the pro's.
Uconn and Geno/Chris are good, but I could name 20 that I consider good--even with Geno's 11 NC's. But not one that can put a pro on the Professional scene so well prepared.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno complained about Stewart when she first got to UCONN . She was reluctant to play down low. It took time but, she eventually figured out how to be effective there. Z will master that part of her game and that will help her to be a very hard player to guard, imo.

Reaction Score
I suppose Geno is going slow with Azura because with all the talent on the team, they are going to win anyway no matter whether she sits on the perimeter or not. Azura may have a decent 3 point shot, but we haven’t seen it materialize. What we have seen is the success when she goes inside. We have plenty of perimeter shooters and the team will have a much better half court game with Azura in the paint. Gabby will be the biggest beneficiary of this shift as she will have option of the passing inside or using Azura to drive to the basket herself.
I don’t know all the factors as to why these changes haven’t be implemented on a consistent basis already, but i for one would like to see it sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
I think the announcer of maybe the Michigan State or maybe it was the UCLA game covered this some. They had asked Geno why Z was having trouble adjusting to what he wanted in spite of the fact that he was coaching her all last year. His reply was that last year she was on the practice squad and that he wasn't therefore paying too much attention to what she was doing.

I dunno. I understand that she wasn't working with the first team last year, but still wouldn't some of the coaches anticipate this year's needs? And also, over the summer and early fall Geno was crowing about how great she was going to be. Didn't he see that she wasn't playing the game "his" way? Whatever. As some forgotten playwright once muttered: all's well that ends well....

Reaction Score
\

You know more about lower level and top recruits than I---but if a "questionable designation" top recruit, opts to not go to Uconn--Que Sera-what never was-never is. Look at EDD, moan, moan, moan--I wasn't happy in the mode of exit-but she was not truly missed. And she has done well on the world stage. Please refrain from using the name my cousin registered for me.

I can only assume that any recruits that UConn offers have been judged to have the necessary skill set and the desire to be successful within the system..................those are the players I feel badly for when they chose another school................at least from a basketball standpoint..............

Reaction Score
I can only assume that any recruits that UConn offers have been judged to have the necessary skill set and the desire to be successful within the system...those are the players I feel badly for when they chose another school......at least from a basketball standpoint....
\
I don't feel glee nor sorrow for those that choose another College BB program;; Choices belong to the kid/parents, not me. Also, I don't feel any of those going to other schools are making mistakes--their choice. Sometimes, if not mostly, those choices for them are equal or better than Uconn. Uconn does not have the concession for the WNBA conduit or Europe--if basketball is the desire. If the kid has the talent, or even near that talent, it shall show and be used in Europe or Wnba. if
I'm not so arrogant of a Uconn fan to think Uconn is the ONLY choice for any particular kid, as much as I chide C. Collier for opting out and going to Texas--her choice..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Q: What were they teaching her at Duke for 2 years?
A: I don't think Duke is unique in this regard from most other schools and the answer is what really separates UCONN from every other program. When Duke and most other schools get a player of Azura's caliber they are very content with what they have and the proceed to milk it for four years. Expanding the players game is as foreign a concept as the idea that some players can actually impact the game on defense. You don't see expansion of a players game at most other schools. If you don't see expansion of a players game at UCONN that player will be relegated to the bench.
Azura was a very gifted player at Duke and she became a featured player almost by default.
Q:What were we teaching her in her sit down year at UConn?
A:With the schedule that UCONN played last year and the youth of the roster the expansion of Azura's game was not as high a priority. Last year Geno could and probably did yell at Azura in practice but Geno could not yell at Azura in a game situation and this is where it matters the most and learning becomes mandatory.
Q:If she takes to all this "new stuff", how good can she get?
A: Huskies Wall of Honor good.

Reaction Score
Broadway VA
Geno knew all the above a year ago. After I read your first paragraph (the large one) Immediately your questions came to mind.
Geno has had a year and about 4/5 months--to transfer Azura from a 3 point shooter, which everyone who watched Duke knew she was, into a post player. Many here on this board were sure she would remain (mostly) a 3 shooter and occasionally enter the post--that being Napheesa domain.
Geno as some of us thought --you can't waste that height on perimeter-I- is trying to make her into a true post.
It is a work in progress, obviously, and even with Geno's comments above, he is not surprised.

I'll answer your last line question: If she takes the training seriously: The stars are the limit/unlimited--her pockets shall be full in the WNBA/Europe.

Just to insert some facts into the discussion I looked up Stevens' stats in her sophomore year. She attempted 300 2pt shots and 53 3pt shots. Her 2pt% - 57% 3pt 36%. Hardly a player who hung around the perimeter shooting 3's.

For comparison purposes Stewart attempted 344 2pt shot and 104 3pt shots that same season, which for Stewart was her senior year.

Sometimes Geno talks out of his ass for effect.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I think the announcer of maybe the Michigan State or maybe it was the UCLA game covered this some. They had asked Geno why Z was having trouble adjusting to what he wanted in spite of the fact that he was coaching her all last year. His reply was that last year she was on the practice squad and that he wasn't therefore paying too much attention to what she was doing.

I dunno. I understand that she wasn't working with the first team last year, but still wouldn't some of the coaches anticipate this year's needs? And also, over the summer and early fall Geno was crowing about how great she was going to be. Didn't he see that she wasn't playing the game "his" way? Whatever. As some forgotten playwright once muttered: all's well that ends well....
I'm thinking the same.....I am sure they did not ignore her actions during practices last year. Also, what about the practice sessions this year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom