Awhile ago I posted about an issue I was having with the Boneyard site... | The Boneyard

Awhile ago I posted about an issue I was having with the Boneyard site...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wanted to post an update. I'm not sure of the exact problem, but it's clearly related to Adobe Flash running in Safari. I've never worked with Flash, so I'm not going to speculate, but it certainly looks as though the site uses Flash in some capacity. (perhaps someone can enlighten me on the specifics). At any rate whenever I access the site with Safari, the Flash plugin crashes, the browser locks up until I use Activity Monitor to force quit Flash.

I tried updating Flash to the latest version ( I already have the latest version of Safari) to no avail. As you might recall from my previous post the initial symptom was that the main page would only load the first ten titles in the thread list. Mac OS X Activity Monitor would show that Flash CPU utilization was at or near 100%.

In order to access the Boneyard using my default browser, I finally blocked the Flash plug-in for the site and all seems to run fine. I've never been a big fan of Flash and I know of other sites where it doesn't play nice, but the issues with Flash and the Boneyard seem to be noticeably worse than others. I haven't the time or inclination to look into whether Google Chrome and/or Firefox have similar issues with Flash and the Boneyard, but if someone has time to look into the Boneyard/Flash/Safari connection it might be enlightening.

Reaction Score
This doesn't help, but I empathize.

I'm on windows and have used the Opera browser as long as I can remember. Development of the version that I is my current default was suspended years ago but I keep using it for the obvious, I'm used to it, but also because it saves web pages to the mht file format, a complete web page in a single file.

Flash is "real" bad here too. I've grown accustomed to kludges, I just run two browsers almost all the time.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I wanted to post an update. I'm not sure of the exact problem, but it's clearly related to Adobe Flash running in Safari. I've never worked with Flash, so I'm not going to speculate, but it certainly looks as though the site uses Flash in some capacity. (perhaps someone can enlighten me on the specifics). At any rate whenever I access the site with Safari, the Flash plugin crashes, the browser locks up until I use Activity Monitor to force quit Flash.

I tried updating Flash to the latest version ( I already have the latest version of Safari) to no avail. As you might recall from my previous post the initial symptom was that the main page would only load the first ten titles in the thread list. Mac OS X Activity Monitor would show that Flash CPU utilization was at or near 100%.

In order to access the Boneyard using my default browser, I finally blocked the Flash plug-in for the site and all seems to run fine. I've never been a big fan of Flash and I know of other sites where it doesn't play nice, but the issues with Flash and the Boneyard seem to be noticeably worse than others. I haven't the time or inclination to look into whether Google Chrome and/or Firefox have similar issues with Flash and the Boneyard, but if someone has time to look into the Boneyard/Flash/Safari connection it might be enlightening.
I access the BY from different computers. When I visit from my home computer, which is very capable (an Alienware gaming computer), I seldom have Flash crashes, but when I visit from work, I often have problems with the site.

In a related issue, many times when I visit this site, a fake Abobe Flashplayer downloads automatically and is caught by my browser before it can harm me by installing. But it happens only when I visit here, not any other site. You can tell that it's not Abobe because of the address on the "install page" that pops up. Anyone else have this problem?

Reaction Score
I don't know diddly about flash (and I'm often prompted to update it but I'm never able to complete the process) but, I have particular problems navigating the site with my Win 10 laptop. Takes forever to load and the "back" key never works (have to click on UCWBB) to go back to the listing of topics every time.
I've attributed the slowness to the possibility that the site is over-loaded with ads.
PS: My laptop isn't super powerful. My desktop (a Win 7 machine)seems to have less difficulty with the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I access the BY from different computers. When I visit from my home computer, which is very capable (an Alienware gaming computer), I seldom have Flash crashes, but when I visit from work, I often have problems with the site.

In a related issue, many times when I visit this site, a fake Abobe Flashplayer downloads automatically and is caught by my browser before it can harm me by installing. But it happens only when I visit here, not any other site. You can tell that it's not Abobe because of the address on the "install page" that pops up. Anyone else have this problem?

I have been having a similar problem. But only on my work desktop and not on my ancient MacBook.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of opening threads in separate tabs. Tends to make my Macbook Air a little temperamental, so I changed the "view" of the Boneyard for a while. My Activity Monitor would lose it's mind. I just disabled Flash for this website, so should be interesting to see if it removes the issues.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I figured out what I have to disable too. It's important. Helps things run smoothly.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
scrolling by youtube videos in threads freezes up my IPad mini... but the Boneyard experience overall is cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom