Awful guard play | The Boneyard

Awful guard play

Reaction Score
Too many forced shots. Too much one on one. Too many times driving into the teeth of St Joes defense only to get swallowed up and stripped or blocked. Gilbert needs to play like a point guard and look to set up his teammates I’ve seen enough of this selfish style of ball and we are only two games in. Gaffney looks like a deer in headlights but at least he looks to pass first

Reaction Score
Fully agree that the guard play was awful. Unfortunately, you also need someone to pass to and other than the two guards who were forcing shots and overdribbling, of the other seven eligible scholarship players on the roster three (Carlton, Polley and Akok) only contributed offensively for brief moments and four (Whalley, Wilson, Adams and Gaffney) decided not to contribute at all.

My point is only that everyone who stepped onto the court was horrible to varying extents of horribleness. It seems a little easy to blame only certain horrible players.

Reaction Score
Too many forced shots. Too much one on one. Too many times driving into the teeth of St Joes defense only to get swallowed up and stripped or blocked. Gilbert needs to play like a point guard and look to set up his teammates I’ve seen enough of this selfish style of ball and we are only two games in. Gaffney looks like a deer in headlights but at least he looks to pass first

Remember when Rothstein projected our starting 5 and Vital wasn’t on it??

CV needs a Jalen Adams to get him open shots. No coincidence CV had great stats when defenses had to worry about JA and AG on the floor at the same time. Spot up shooter is his strength.

AG penetrates with his head down. But the team doesn’t move to find the angles so Al can kick it out. Needs more confidence to use the floater, because he doesn’t get enough separation to use the scoop lay up.

Bottom line: Play JG and JB 25 minutes a night together, kiss the AAC good-bye, start 20-21‘S Big East return ranked With two studs full of confidence.

Reaction Score
It's hard to be critical when you score 87 points but we had 7 assists in a fast-paced, high scoring game. A 1:2 assist to turnover ratio. That is brutal. A lot of boneheaded decisions on top of that. That's just not on our backcourt either. Akok trying to go LeBron-style from the top of the key right into the defense. I knew that was a turnover before he even put the ball on the floor.

I didn't watch a ton of Hurley's URI teams but this was the gist of his offensive system from what I saw back then. It's not the prettiest basketball from an X's and O's perspective. Not always a ton of ball movement or crafty sets. Still, we need smarter shot selection and decision making.

Reaction Score
What frustrates me is the quick shots that can be had at the end of the shotclock if needed. When Carlton went on his tear last year the ran offense, and he was in position to get rebounds. Give a chance to get underneath. I can't stand it when CV throws up a shot with 4 teammates standing outside the 3 point line.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's hard to be critical when you score 87 points but we had 7 assists in a fast-paced, high scoring game. A 1:2 assist to turnover ratio. That is brutal. A lot of boneheaded decisions on top of that. That's just not on our backcourt either. Akok trying to go LeBron-style from the top of the key right into the defense. I knew that was a turnover before he even put the ball on the floor.

I didn't watch a ton of Hurley's URI teams but this was the gist of his offensive system from what I saw back then. It's not the prettiest basketball from an X's and O's perspective. Not always a ton of ball movement or crafty sets. Still, we need smarter shot selection and decision making.

Hard not to be when you give up 96!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom