Awesome Hartford Courant Uconn Preview | The Boneyard

Awesome Hartford Courant Uconn Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Great stuff available online about the upcoming season, previewing players taking on bigger and better roles, good write-ups on Uconn's opponents, a look at the Big East now and the future members.

Wait a minute. I didn't see any of that today, yesterday or any day yet.

The last article they have to view online is from August 23rd and Des has a blog entry from yesterday with a link to the depth chart but no opinion/comment/perspective on it.

Hopefully the paper copy y'all get up north has something in it.

Straight garbage coverage from the Courant.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Great stuff available online about the upcoming season, previewing players taking on bigger and better roles, good write-ups on Uconn's opponents, a look at the Big East now and the future members.

Wait a minute. I didn't see any of that today, yesterday or any day yet.

The last article they have to view online is from August 23rd and Des has a blog entry from yesterday with a link to the depth chart but no opinion/comment/perspective on it.

Hopefully the paper copy y'all get up north has something in it.

Straight garbage coverage from the Courant.
I blame ESPN.

Reaction Score
normally no beefs w/Courant coverage. But zero word about any college football in Sunday paper five days before season kicks off at home is puzzling. Expect Courant will have a special section this week in print and online, but it was an oversight not to have anything today. Gotta figure that Cincy, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt papers & papers covering rutgers, USF, Temple had something in their Sunday sections.

To be fair, PP isnt helping matters by putting program on media lockdown, especially not opening the two scrimmages at the Rent to the media or at least discussing them. Kinda limits what can be written about/reported.

Reaction Score
Great ideas!! I would send an email to the Hartford Courant. I think he does the opponent write up on a weekly basis though

Reaction Score
normally no beefs w/Courant coverage. But zero word about any college football in Sunday paper five days before season kicks off at home is puzzling. Expect Courant will have a special section this week in print and online, but it was an oversight not to have anything today. Gotta figure that Cincy, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt papers & papers covering rutgers, USF, Temple had something in their Sunday sections.

To be fair, PP isnt helping matters by putting program on media lockdown, especially not opening the two scrimmages at the Rent to the media or at least discussing them. Kinda limits what can be written about/reported.

Game Week Press Conference @ 1:00 today.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If your the Courant trying to sell papers, do you pack the FB preview into the Sunday paper, or do you add it to the Monday or Tuesday edition? {this is a rhetorical question}

They should have had something today, if only a getting ready for the season, press conference tomorrow, season preview on Tuesday teaser.

Reaction Score
Media Availability This Afternoon, Talking UMass

by DCONNER on AUGUST 26, 2012

The UConn football media has availability this afternoon in Storrs around 1:15, 1:30, where head coach Paul Pasqualoni will preview the Thursday night opener against UMass.

Players will be available shortly after the coach.

News, notes and updates will follow but I will also be tweeting live during the Pasqualoni presser (@desmondconner).

Reaction Score
Print newspapers are in such a weird spot now - a constant battle between the cost to print additional pages, and the amount of money they can sell. I wish I knew the solution to the problem, but I'm apparently not the only one who is stumped. Gone are the days when the local newspaper can be looked to for great previews. Heck, even now, Des is the best we've got - but how many of you read it on the paper instead of his blog?

Reaction Score
Best example of the relative importance of college FB here (Bham) versus CT. The Bham News has run at least 3 pages a day on college FB for the last month. Today there were 88 pages in the special CFB section. Shows what happens when CFB is really the only game in town. Hard to say how long this might last since all three of the major AL newpapers (Bham, Huntsville, Mobile) will be shifting to online delivery only for three days a week starting later this year. Full paper is available on any internet connected device already. Tested it a couple of times and it is not bad.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best example of the relative importance of college FB here (Bham) versus CT. The Bham News has run at least 3 pages a day on college FB for the last month. Today there were 88 pages in the special CFB section. Shows what happens when CFB is really the only game in town. Hard to say how long this might last since all three of the major AL newpapers (Bham, Huntsville, Mobile) will be shifting to online delivery only for three days a week starting later this year. Full paper is available on any internet connected device already. Tested it a couple of times and it is not bad.

I'm with you with the cultural difference.

Birmingham is home to the SEC offices and is a hop and a skip from Alabama. Bu you still have lots fans and have significan coverage of Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee.

Where I'm at in Pensacola, the papers and sports radio cover Alabama, Auburn, LSU, FSU and UF.

As for the online version or paper copy we're still keeping paper copies (Gannett owns both the Mobile and Pensacola papers).

Reaction Score
Print newspapers are in such a weird spot now - a constant battle between the cost to print additional pages, and the amount of money they can sell.
They are selling money? How much does does $1 million cost??

Look on the bright side. There's Bleacher Report. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
News moves too fast for print now. I wrote about the Waterbury paper in another thread. Here you've got a paper that serves in the neighborhood of 200,000 people when you look at the population of waterbury and immediately surrounding towns, and they've got a nice article on the front page of sports - UConn football. THen you get to the second page, and yay - MORE uconn football, except you read the article.........and it's the same crap the sports page has been forever. It would be better off they just didn't bother trying to cover uconn sports. And New London? Never mind.

We are very lucky to have the beat reporters we've got in the courant, register, etc....in the hartford, new haven, and extending down into fairfield county with norwalk. Desmond's been covering UConn a long time, he was covering UConn,I believe he started UConn football with Tom Jackson, and has been with us through Skippy, Edsall and now Pasqualoni - who was just starting at his alma mater, when he started covering uconn.

It's good to have long time coverage that can be relied on.

It's also a good idea to try to stop comparing Hartford, CT, to anything in the south. DIfferent cultures.

You've got to win in this culture to get big time coverage, it's not enough to be the only game in town.

Reaction Score
Dez tidbits from presser...

Desmond Conner@desmondconner
Follow On Twitter As UConn Football Holds Its Week 1 Media Day Sunday http://Post original url/PgqLNM

#UConnFootball senior tight end Ryan Griffin talks starting and the #depthchart http://yfrog.us/5i64dmfehhtcxhsmveqtxuewz …

#UConnFootball DT Julian Campenni talks about starting - and turning 19 today http://yfrog.us/0wrhzunchasemgkvkuzfypxfz …

Take a few to load so be patient (not a strong suite of the BY).

Reaction Score

Perfect example of why CT newspapers are not going out of their way to print extra pages for UConn football. Even if they did 5 pages a day for the 2 months before the season they wouldn't get a measurable jump in subscriptions.

We are lucky to have Dez and the Courant. The stories and videos are starting to pop up today and I expect decent coverage this week. If we were opening vs MD or Mich this week I would expect more but UMass.....

Reaction Score
It's not always the local media's fault that coverage is so bad or unimaginative. If you want to grab the public's attention then you actually have to give them something worthy of their attention.

I think that scheduling I-AAs in week one so often during week one is just another steaming pile of poo left behind by Hathaway. I know this is common practice but it doesn't do the program any good. I know UMass wasn't I-A when this was put on the schedule, but if you actually want some media anticipation then you have to give them something to sink their teeth into. Pretty hard to go crazy with coverage of UConn/URI or Fordham. These games have no sex appeal.

The I-AAs might be ok in week 3 or 4. Or even really late in the season, which is what the SEC does. They almost serve as a bye week.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Dez just tweeted that a special section on UConn Football will be include in Wednesday's paper.

Reaction Score
Dez just tweeted that a special section on UConn Football will be include in Wednesday's paper.
The special pullout section on UConn football IS in this morning's edition!

Reaction Score
It's not always the local media's fault that coverage is so bad or unimaginative. If you want to grab the public's attention then you actually have to give them something worthy of their attention.

I think that scheduling I-AAs in week one so often during week one is just another steaming pile of poo left behind by Hathaway. I know this is common practice but it doesn't do the program any good. I know UMass wasn't I-A when this was put on the schedule, but if you actually want some media anticipation then you have to give them something to sink their teeth into. Pretty hard to go crazy with coverage of UConn/URI or Fordham. These games have no sex appeal.

The I-AAs might be ok in week 3 or 4. Or even really late in the season, which is what the SEC does. They almost serve as a bye week.

Produce a consistent top 20 winner and interest levels would change no doubt. Put a team on the field where the receivers look like they are playing keep away instead of football and the QB throws like a Thalidomide child and you can guarantee empty seats at the stadium and little news coverage. You are spot on.

And no, the team isn't entitled to unquestioning support from alums. You earn admiration. It's not a birthright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom