Awesome birthday present from my sister | The Boneyard

Awesome birthday present from my sister

Reaction Score
It was the year I was born (1990). The defining Break through NCAA tournament season for our program! Pictured are Tate George, Jim Calhoun and Steve pikiell. I turn 27 today! She got it at the elephants trunk in I think it's in bethel. (I live in lower Fairfield county but my sister lives in Redding so I don't know that area all that well). Was so happy with this gift!

Attachments

• IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 415

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Cool gift -- some of my favorite, most memorable gifts were UConn related. They've given and given, for me, in my sports life.

Reaction Score
I'm glad they switched to posters with photos.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Can anyone over 50 explain to me what in the hell a Marathon Oil is?

I am not over 50 :), but they were the exhibition team we played what seemed like every year for a period. Bunch of former college guys.

Reaction Score
It's in New Milford. @Huskybass is a regular there. Maybe that's who your sister brought it from?

I sell antiques and collectibles every Sunday at the Elephant's Trunk. Sports items are one of my specialties, but that piece wasn't mine. I sell more Yankees stuff than anything, due to the proximity to New York.

Reaction Score
Back in the day ...

Before you were born. And I am over 50. The best college stars - nondrafted contingent (and there were 6 to 12 rounds of draft NOT 2) based themselves in groups sponsored by AAU (ok - need to define terms here) barnstorming to make money. It was all year ... and I bet the paychecks weren't more than $500 a game. So the Schaefer Brewers would play all over NY & NE & PA in college gyms and armories.

The Marathon Oil team was a successor to that level. You could have a game in the middle of basketball season in Scranton, PA with 1500 attendance of post college players making a paycheck.

Those type of Teams existed thru the 80s.

By 1990, Marathon Oil (and other like teams) played only late October and early November as fodder exhibition opponents. Same Post college type guys. Occasionally they'd win.

Reaction Score
I had that exact poster in my dorm. And yes we played Marathon Oil many consecutive years and I think they beat us once too. Good times, good times

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great Gift - Happy B'day
Remember going to a lot of those Marathon Oil games - neat seeing very good but not good enough for the NBA/ABA
Even remember a few ex-Huskies playing

Reaction Score
I remember an EA Sports all star team or something like that too

I remember a team, I think it was called Athletes in Action that starred Teddy Dupay who was banned for life from the NCAA.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I remember a team, I think it was called Athletes in Action that starred Teddy Dupay who was banned for life from the NCAA.

That was the Christian team. Ironically.

@Robertelamin Yeah, the Beltway Ballers, or whatever they were called, helped bring the demise of the pay-to-play semipro teams. I still hate Gary Williams, btw. Biggest crybaby to coach an NCAA game.

Reaction Score
I sell antiques and collectibles every Sunday at the Elephant's Trunk. Sports items are one of my specialties, but that piece wasn't mine. I sell more Yankees stuff than anything, due to the proximity to New York.
What is the recommended time for a buyer to arrive? Is it worth it to wake up early and be one of the early buyers?

Conversely when is the worst time to arrive? I have about a 45 minute drive and also would have to pry my wife out of bed.

Reaction Score
What is the recommended time for a buyer to arrive? Is it worth it to wake up early and be one of the early buyers?

Conversely when is the worst time to arrive? I have about a 45 minute drive and also would have to pry my wife out of bed.

7 a.m. to 9 or so would be my recommended arrival time. Don't get there after 10 or parking may be tough.

Unless you are looking to buy lots of stuff to resell, the $$ early buyer thing probably isn't worth the $20 or $40.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom