OT - Avon (CT) HS Football Helmets | The Boneyard

OT - Avon (CT) HS Football Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know if this has already been posted or if anybody has seen this, but with all the discussion over the past year or so in regards to the like/dislike of our new helmet design, it appears Avon HS has taken a liking to it. They have basically the same design replacing the husky with their mascot a falcon, and instead of using the team name on the side they went with the uniform numbers. Color scheme is even exact. Thought it was interesting.

Attachments

• Avon.jpg
    Avon.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 320

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What a rip off, jk. They are fine with me

Reaction Score
I like the numbers on the side. We have UConn across the bottom back. I would welcome the numbers on the side if were keeping the current design.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I like the numbers on the side. We have UConn across the bottom back. I would welcome the numbers on the side if were keeping the current design.
Still wonder
What a rip off, jk. They are fine with me
image.jpg

Yep. How about this rip off from the thieves in Durham? LMFAO. They kept the block C.

Reaction Score
Since people like to complain about the helmets, I always thought a way to enhance them would be having the husky logo engulf the front of the helmet from the eyes up to the snout stripe (with no red trim or ears) along with a matte blue finish, number decals on each side (like Avon's, which harkens back to earlier UConn helmets). Then like the Jaguars helmets, have alternative helmets that fade from matte blue to red or white, with the same "UConn Huskies" decal on the back, along with a helmet that's entirely blue. Probably the traditionally white or grey face masks. That'd be a way for them to be flashy without losing their identity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, Avon did the impossible...took an awful design and made it worse! Congrats to them.

Reaction Score
While I've accepted the new helmets for what they are, I still miss the Block C.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Bob's furniture digital edition wearing the helmet...

XqdzSRx.jpg

Reaction Score

beat me to it bro.. the #s on the sides makes the helmet look better....

Reaction Score
Since people like to complain about the helmets, I always thought a way to enhance them would be having the husky logo engulf the front of the helmet from the eyes up to the snout stripe (with no red trim or ears) along with a matte blue finish, number decals on each side (like Avon's, which harkens back to earlier UConn helmets). Then like the Jaguars helmets, have alternative helmets that fade from matte blue to red or white, with the same "UConn Huskies" decal on the back, along with a helmet that's entirely blue. Probably the traditionally white or grey face masks. That'd be a way for them to be flashy without losing their identity.

Hey bro... can you give us a picture to go by with your suggestions? it would better illustrate your thoughts...

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I always thought a way to enhance them would be having the husky logo engulf the front of the helmet from the eyes up to the snout stripe (with no red trim or ears) along with a matte blue finish, number decals on each side.

I was thinking the same thing, but was also want the light blue eyes so that Jonathan's intensity. The ears add nothing - just have the eyes /husky markings & then fade to the stripe.

Football fans are so used to having markings on the side, that the blank sides on our helmet make us uncomfortable - we think empty & equate as boring. But next time you look at a game on TV from a sideline view take a look & notice that even with HD you can not make out the markings/designs - it is just a mark but you can not clearly get see the design.

Next time you see the white or blue panel on the sides of our helmets - think to yourself of the intensity/focus of the Husky eyes glaring forward.

Reaction Score
@ktuck911 @HuskyV Unfortunately I'm no good with graphic design or photoshop, but I'll attach a some pictures for examples or a good point of reference.

Basically, part of the concept would be inspired by Syracuse/Jaguars helmets. A primary blue matte finish (non-reflective surface) in the front, then fading roughly halfway into either a red version or a white version (for variety sake) with the current "UConn Huskies" decal along the back of the helmets. Number decals could go on both sides of the helmet (like an Alabama, for a more "classic" look) in UConn font-lettering and red outline. I would even have an all blue version as a primary helmet.

upload_2014-10-10_20-23-8.png

upload_2014-10-10_20-23-51.png

Reaction Score
upload_2014-10-10_20-25-2.png

upload_2014-10-10_20-25-37.png

As far as the eyes in front, instead of the eyes being contained by the red trim and stripe in the front of the helmet, like this...

Reaction Score
upload_2014-10-10_20-26-35.png

upload_2014-10-10_20-26-57.png

...remove the red trim and enlarge the eyes of the logo so that it basically consumes the entire front view of the helmet right above the (preferably white) face masks. Basically in the vein of the new mid-field field design, even with the blue eyes.

Reaction Score
upload_2014-10-10_20-28-2.png

upload_2014-10-10_20-28-24.png

And whether they upgrade their uni design anytime soon or not, it would be sick if they had some red alternative jerseys to go with it, too. But of course, they need to upgrade the product on the field first before any of that happens. Sexy uniforms aren't any good if we're still losing games that we should be winning -- or it could actually help us with recruiting since kids love flashy uniforms.

*As you can tell, I had to make multiple posts for one message, but hopefully these pictures help illustrate my description.

Reaction Score
I wish you all would go back to the Block C Helmets you sported not that long ago. It was a clean classic look, and to me easily identifiable as UCONN. Much like Pitt ditching their light blue and yellow script for some bargain bin ND knock off, newer is often not better.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
That's my alma mater. Not the highest quality of football programs from distant memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom