OT: - Avery Johnson out at Alabama | The Boneyard

OT: Avery Johnson out at Alabama

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AJ will coach again next season - probably in the NBA
This is a weird job because it is such a huge football school but has had some fairly decent basketball teams
This is a perfect job for an AAC or highly visible mid major coach like Oats
Money wont be an issue but I doubt if some current P5 coach will take it

Reaction Score
Who cares about the replacement ? I just want to know if they have any good recruits that may decommit.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Who cares about the replacement ? I just want to know if they have any good recruits that may decommit.

I don't think Hurley will be flying out to SC, MS, or CA. I'd like to see us continue recruiting nationally, but I think I recall him commenting that for the first couple of years, he'll probably keep things local.

Reaction Score
Hope they don’t try to go for Kelvin Sampson.

Arkansas is supposedly gearing up for a run at him as well. I don't see it. Maybe if he was an up and comer. He has the money and the reputation. It's easier to be good at Houston and I see him staying unless he gets offered a position where he could compete for titles. Texas would be a good fit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I real deep in SEC country and have Kentucky and Bama fans within 10' of my desk.

I told them firing Johnson was dumb. Bama trying to be Kentucky in basketball is like Kentucky trying to be Bama in football. If you make the NCAA's at Bama be happy. You aren't going to FF's. Kentucky firing a football coach for always going 7-5 and making a bowl game is plenty good enough too. Know who you are and don't waste money over shooting what you think you can be.

Reaction Score
AJ will coach again next season - probably in the NBA
This is a weird job because it is such a huge football school but has had some fairly decent basketball teams
This is a perfect job for an AAC or highly visible mid major coach like Oats
Money wont be an issue but I doubt if some current P5 coach will take it
Would really surprise me if Oats had any interest here. He'll have bigger and less risky jobs calling.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bama is a pretty good job. I thought Johnson was doing a good job recruiting, and yet they don't win much.

Reaction Score
Would really surprise me if Oats had any interest here. He'll have bigger and less risky jobs calling.

Oats will take a B1G or ACC when he leaves. He doesn't have many connections in the deep south SEC locales.

Reaction Score
KO recruited Juwan Gary pretty hard early on. Maybe Hurley would go for him if he decommits. The rest I doubt.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
the SEC is clearly going "all-in" on trying to become the best basketball conference. in recent years they've put put initiatives to schedule better in the OOC and have shelled out big money to coaches (and recruits :)). the results have been good though. they went from being the 6th best conference getting only 3-4 bids (with 2 of them being last 4 in type teams) to this year getting 7 bids -- 5 of which were in the top 20.

mick would do great at alabama. trust me. pls. im super serious. hes awesome. the best really.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Has Johnson ever been a good coach? Besides giving good quote?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Heard from a Bama fan about 20 minutes ago:

Bama has already reached out to Jay Wright and his people say he is willing to listen.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score

Bama has already reached out to Jay Wright and his people say he is willing to listen.
Uh... what kind of money are they putting up for this coach?

Reaction Score

They have plenty of football $$$ to pass along to the basketball team there....

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
the SEC is clearly going "all-in" on trying to become the best basketball conference. in recent years they've put put initiatives to schedule better in the OOC and have shelled out big money to coaches (and recruits :)). the results have been good though. they went from being the 6th best conference getting only 3-4 bids (with 2 of them being last 4 in type teams) to this year getting 7 bids -- 5 of which were in the top 20.

mick would do great at alabama. trust me. pls. im super serious. hes awesome. the best really.

Mick Cronin is a good coach...I don't understand why cinci fans hate the guy so much. Yeah he can't win the big one but how many coaches can. Also, why would a recruit go to Cinci you have the same problem UConn has and you haven't even won anything. Wait till Mick leaves...you'll wish he didn't.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

They have unlimited money they can go after whoever they want doesn't mean they'll come there, Jay Wright in Bama would be truly hilarious.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Uh... what kind of money are they putting up for this coach?
They have plenty of football $$$ to pass along to the basketball team there....

I'm not saying it's true, I'm not saying this guy is hooked up at a level he would know. I'm just saying he offered the info up like it was something Bama gets if Bama wants.

Everyone on this board knows Bama has the cash to pay for that level coach if they want to spend it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom