Autonomy Vote Today | The Boneyard

Autonomy Vote Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
75 votes against are needed to (postpone?) and 125 to shelve it.

If the B1G or ACC need one vote to sway the outcome, I know a school that just might be willing to vote yes if there is an invite. Too bad there are not 74 others in our same position.

Anyone know if the votes will be made public?

Last edited:

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
FourRings said:
75 votes against are needed to (postpone?) and 125 to shelf it.

If the B1G or ACC need one vote to sway the outcome, I know a school that just might be willing to vote yes if there is an invite. Too bad there are not 74 others in our same position.

Anyone know if the votes will be made public?

Watching a love fest about how great this is on Morning Joe with the Big Twelve Commissioner and Baylor President.

Reaction Score
I don't think it will be a close vote at all. Most of the measures have broad support outside of the Power 5, as the Atlantic 10 Commissioner mentioned in the article.

Reaction Score
Motion has passed.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/board-adopts-new-division-i-structure

The 16-2 vote adopted the updated Division I model that was released to the membership last month. Board members changed little from that proposal, only reducing the number of conferences required to sponsor a proposal within the group of five conferences from three to one (what is currently required to sponsor Division I legislation). Any amendment is subject to approval by a five-conference presidential group before consideration by the full voting group. The steering committee, which will continue as a transition committee, indicated it was open to tweaks over the next year.

Reaction Score
I think there may be a way out of it...

The even bigger question is whether or not the AAC agrees as a league to offer the stipend. Because here's the catch with the "Permissive" rules, if the majority of your conference votes against allowing a stipend for all scholarship athletes, then none of the schools are allowed to offer it. So even if UCONN wanted to offer the stipend, if the AAC schools voted against it, then UCONN wouldn't be allowed to offer it. My guess is that the AAC wants to make UCONN as happy as it can be, so maybe they'd allow "permission?"

Any thoughts?

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
I think there may be a way out of it...

The even bigger question is whether or not the AAC agrees as a league to offer the stipend. Because here's the catch with the "Permissive" rules, if the majority of your conference votes against allowing a stipend for all scholarship athletes, then none of the schools are allowed to offer it. So even if UCONN wanted to offer the stipend, if the AAC schools voted against it, then UCONN wouldn't be allowed to offer it. My guess is that the AAC wants to make UCONN as happy as it can be, so maybe they'd allow "permission?"

Any thoughts?

I believe it is actually up to the individual conferences to decide whether or not individual schools can enact the permissive rules or whether they implement a voting structure as you have described. That being said, the AAC has been pretty up front that it agrees it will offer a stipend. Not sure about any of the other rules or future ones. The question is not so much an immediate question but long term can these schools (including UConn) afford to offer these benefits without the insane TV deals that the P5 have.

Reaction Score
@dennisdoddcbs: Solomon: Autonomy Q&A. http://post original url/DpaqLw7lye

Reaction Score
Welcome back to Division 1AA...

UConn has the money to play by P5 autonomy rules, just like independents ND and BYU. I wonder if there is an option to go independent in football like those 2 in order to be a part of the P5? May mean having to join another conference for all other sports for a while. Other schools like SMU, Rice, Houston, SDSU and some others have the money to do this as well, if ever an option. Not the best situation, but there were quite a few independent 1-A schools in the 70s and 80s that eventually found a P5 home like PSU, South Carolina, FSU, Miami, VT, BC, WVU, Pitt, SU, Rutgers and UL.

Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconns-susan-herbst-on-power-5-autonomy/

>>UConn is on the outside looking in of this structure, though the Huskies have pledged to mirror many of the policies of those power schools. UConn President Susan Herbst reiterated on Thursday that UConn’s practices and goals align closely with the Power 5:

“The philosophies and practices we use to run athletics here at UConn are very closely aligned with those used in the five conferences seeking more autonomy,” Herbst said. “The NCAA vote allows institutions to provide their student-athletes with more support, and we too strive for this, of course.

“We just had another superb year, with two national basketball championships and another in field hockey. And we hired one of the most sought-after coaches in the country to lead our football program — Bob Diaco. UConn will continue to be a leader and national powerhouse on the athletic scene, across sports, after the vote and well beyond.”<<

Reaction Score
UConn has the money to play by P5 autonomy rules, just like independents ND and BYU. I wonder if there is an option to go independent in football like those 2 in order to be a part of the P5? May mean having to join another conference for all other sports for a while. Other schools like SMU, Rice, Houston, SDSU and some others have the money to do this as well, if ever an option. Not the best situation, but there were quite a few independent 1-A schools in the 70s and 80s that eventually found a P5 home like PSU, South Carolina, FSU, Miami, VT, BC, WVU, Pitt, SU, Rutgers and UL.

I don't see how UCONN could function as an independent. BYU is being treated as a G5 School, and they have a historic football pedigree and national following tied to The LDS. The reality is that all schools that meet certain support criteria should be allowed to reconfigure into a P6 Conference. A school like UCONN that competes and wins at the highest level, has good fan support, as well as financial backing from its state should not be forced to the sideline because a conference mate like Tulane can't draw flies. Just because UCONN and a school like Tulsa are in the same league, they realistically are not.

As to your comment on the independents of the 70's and 80's, if only there had been a person with a unique vision to try to start an all sports conference. Just imagine what that might look like today...

North
BC
UCONN
Cuse
Rutgers
PSU
Pitt

South
WVU
VPI
Louisville
South Carolina
FSU
Miami

Something like that was actually possible, if not for the small minded nature of a few former administrators. The ACC might look like The A10 today if this ever got off the ground.

Reaction Score
There is going to be a battle of attrition where we separate the true haves from have nots. Many outside the p5 simply are not going to be able to keep pace for very long. The AAC and Aresco want to desperately to keep pace and become the defacto P6 conference. If that is unattainable to some schools in the league expect yet another coast to coast league to emerge of all schools that do not want to be at a recruiting disadvantage versus the current p5 leagues. I vote Mark Cuban for commissioner of that next league.

Reaction Score
I don't see how UCONN could function as an independent. BYU is being treated as a G5 School, and they have a historic football pedigree and national following tied to The LDS. The reality is that all schools that meet certain support criteria should be allowed to reconfigure into a P6 Conference. A school like UCONN that competes and wins at the highest level, has good fan support, as well as financial backing from its state should not be forced to the sideline because a conference mate like Tulane can't draw flies. Just because UCONN and a school like Tulsa are in the same league, they realistically are not.

As to your comment on the independents of the 70's and 80's, if only there had been a person with a unique vision to try to start an all sports conference. Just imagine what that might look like today...

North
BC
UCONN
Cuse
Rutgers
PSU
Pitt

South
WVU
VPI
Louisville
South Carolina
FSU
Miami

Something like that was actually possible, if not for the small minded nature of a few former administrators. The ACC might look like The A10 today if this ever got off the ground.
The Metro Conference came close to achieving that. That lead to some of those teams joining a conference or creating Big East football.

Reaction Score
I may be reaching here but there is some conversation on the Virginia Tech realignment board relating to the service academies and whether or not they will be included. Maybe Army will get a seat at the table in the B1G? The alternative is that the service academies will be relegated to second-class citizenship, which may not be a politically acceptable situation. My perception is that the service academies have not pressed hard to be included in any way to date. But, this is America, and to the extent autonomy redefines NCAA football, the question is whether it will be acceptable to leave these schools on the outside looking in?

http://chat.virginiatech.sportswar.com/message_board/vtrealignment/

Maybe ESPN and the other networks will make it happen by agreeing to pay for it to protect their investment in this new system?

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
F everything especially the NCAA.*

*only as long as we are being excluded, then we're cool.**

** not really, NCAA will always be awful, but these reminders of our demotion suck balls. :mad:

Reaction Score
I believe it is actually up to the individual conferences to decide whether or not individual schools can enact the permissive rules or whether they implement a voting structure as you have described. That being said, the AAC has been pretty up front that it agrees it will offer a stipend. Not sure about any of the other rules or future ones. The question is not so much an immediate question but long term can these schools (including UConn) afford to offer these benefits without the insane TV deals that the P5 have.

Can someone come up with a link that says this will be allowed? I have searched & have not been able to find anything other than Aresco saying the AAC wants to participate.

My understanding is that the NCAA has now provided autonomy to the P5 conferences & ND. While many here have said that G5 conferences will have an option to participate or not, I have not seen that written anywhere.

My understanding is that any non-P5 conference would need NCAA authority to implement any of the changes that the P5 choose to make. If that is the case, we are royally ducked. There is no way that the remaining NCAA schools will allow the AAC or MWC (the 2 most likely conferences that would want in) to separate themselves.

Reaction Score
I may be reaching here but there is some conversation on the Virginia Tech realignment board relating to the service academies and whether or not they will be included. Maybe Army will get a seat at the table in the B1G? The alternative is that the service academies will be relegated to second-class citizenship, which may not be politically acceptable situation. My perception is that the service academies have not pressed hard to be included in any way to date. But, this is America, and to the extent autonomy redefines NCAA football, the question is whether it will be acceptable to leave these schools on the outside looking in?

http://chat.virginiatech.sportswar.com/message_board/vtrealignment/

Maybe ESPN and the other networks will make it happen by agreeing to pay for it to protect their investment in this new system?

Does it really matter when it comes to the service academies? They are not going to compete for anything within a P5 League. It might make a lot more sense if they were to drop down in football to The FCS level, where they could compete and win titles.The general public would still watch The Army Navy Game if they dropped down a level.

Reaction Score
The American released a statement today on where it stands on the subject:

"We are pleased that the NCAA Governance Redesign Model was adopted today by the NCAA Board of Directors. We extend our congratulations to Dr. Nathan Hatch and to the NCAA Steering Committee for its excellent work in designing a model that we believe will enjoy broad acceptance. We also appreciate the exemplary efforts of our NCAA Board representative, Dr. John Hitt of UCF, and our Conference Board chair, Dr. Gerald Turner of SMU, who were deeply engaged in this process.

Our conference membership supports the new governance model and the opportunities it will present to enhance the student-athlete experience and student-athlete welfare. Our presidents and athletic directors are steadfast in their commitment to these ideals and also to providing our student-athletes with the ability to compete at the highest level of collegiate athletics."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UCONN football would die if it went Independent. P5 coaches want to only play each other. Scheduling would be horrendous for the same reasons why UCONN is on the P5 sidelines right now: no football recruiting. They'd be better off turning the Rent into a parking lot for Cabellas.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The American released a statement today on where it stands on the subject:

"We are pleased that the NCAA Governance Redesign Model was adopted today by the NCAA Board of Directors. We extend our congratulations to Dr. Nathan Hatch and to the NCAA Steering Committee for its excellent work in designing a model that we believe will enjoy broad acceptance. We also appreciate the exemplary efforts of our NCAA Board representative, Dr. John Hitt of UCF, and our Conference Board chair, Dr. Gerald Turner of SMU, who were deeply engaged in this process.

Our conference membership supports the new governance model and the opportunities it will present to enhance the student-athlete experience and student-athlete welfare. Our presidents and athletic directors are steadfast in their commitment to these ideals and also to providing our student-athletes with the ability to compete at the highest level of collegiate athletics."

Time to push for P6. At worst, fringe P5 conferences like the ACC and B12 would be forced to act in order to save themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom