OT: - Auto Insurance... which is the best? | The Boneyard

OT: Auto Insurance... which is the best?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
shopping around for a few 2012 vehicles... besides Geico?

oooops OT - :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
not an expert on this but I think that depends a lot on the state you live in and your driving record..............if you go to an independent insurance agent that handles many different companies you should see a variety of prices as opposed to just checking out a single company..............remember it's not just about price, the coverage you get may be initially cheaper from one company yet they may be quicker to raise your rates should you have an accident and make a claim..........

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We haven't had any problems since switching to Liberty. But as they say YMMV. If you can find a good agent, that is very helpful with getting things done.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
While your address has a great deal to do with your rates, that should be true across all companies. I have found that each company has a preferred customer demographic. I am not talking about some type of biased business, but rather that certain companies do not want to insure younger drivers, or sporty cars, or much older drivers, etc. The advice above to seek an independent agent is sound indeed. Just be sure that your desired level of coverage is quoted by every company at the same level.. And give consideration to higher deductibles too. Good luck. This does not have to be as painful as popularly portrayed.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Beware auto insurance companies that have funny tv commercials. Insurance is one of the least funny products on the market.

I’ve had Liberty for a.while. I’ve switched many times. I hate commercials that brag that they don’t raise rates after your first accident. They shouldn’t because it’s already built into the rate. Shouldn’t raise it after the second either.

I shop every year or two. If you are old enough to be AARP eligible and have membership, they insure through The Hartford and can have good initial rates. AAA can also offer decent insurance I think through Travelers. . I’d see what an independent agent can find, but also check through any group you might be eligible to use that offers insurance programs.

Reaction Score
I shop every year. In terms of quality, I hear (cannot verify, because I don't qualify) that USAA is great. It used to be (may still be, for all I know) that AMICA is very good as well. Back years ago, they had a wonderful reputation in Rhode Island.

Over the years I've had Liberty and the Hartford (through AARP). Both had good initial rates and for whatever reason, decided to raise rates, so I switched. We liked AAA, but they don't insure here in Florida, so when we moved, we needed someone else.

I've been with Progressive for three years now. The prices remain at about the best, but the claims-paying record is what keeps me there. Fortunately, we have not had a car claim, but until recently, we have had RVs insured through Progressive. Over the years we had three claims. All were settled for amounts that were more than fair and as quickly as anyone could hope for. One was in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, when insurers were really crunched, so I was very impressed. We're down to just car insurance now, so unless they raise their rates, we'll stick with them.

Reaction Score
I have used Hartford for decades and switched to their AARP division when I hit the age. Can't say whether they are more or less expensive than others but from experience I have had a couple of claims over the last 25 years and their service has been outstanding. Saving money is nice but it's also important to know that when you have an accident that you get hassle-free service.

Reaction Score
Suggest you check out whether you meet USAA's eligibility criteria because, if you do, you're not likely to find better insurance
Absolutely agree, I have been with them for more than 50 years. No one is close to them in terms of price, service.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
shopping around for a few 2012 vehicles... besides Geico?
oooops OT - :rolleyes:

If military then USAA. otherwise Amica was best 3 years ago. Based on several rating services. You said best, not the cheapest.

Reaction Score
If military then USAA. otherwise Amica was best 3 years ago. Based on several rating services. You said best, not the cheapest.

Amica is a great company. But when evaluating Amica's rates, you have to remember that you get an almost automatic 20% dividend back at the end of each policy year. You might not get it if Armageddon occurs, but it has been paid every year forever. You can also get a non-dividend quote but ultimately it is more expensive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Beware auto insurance companies that have funny tv commercials. Insurance is one of the least funny products on the market.

I’ve had Liberty for a.while. I’ve switched many times. I hate commercials that brag that they don’t raise rates after your first accident. They shouldn’t because it’s already built into the rate. Shouldn’t raise it after the second either.

I shop every year or two. If you are old enough to be AARP eligible and have membership, they insure through The Hartford and can have good initial rates. AAA can also offer decent insurance I think through Travelers. . I’d see what an independent agent can find, but also check through any group you might be eligible to use that offers insurance programs.
I agree The Hartford AARP are excellent and I don’t believe they can cancel you even if you have multiple accidents.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I shop every year. In terms of quality, I hear (cannot verify, because I don't qualify) that USAA is great. It used to be (may still be, for all I know) that AMICA is very good as well. Back years ago, they had a wonderful reputation in Rhode Island.

Over the years I've had Liberty and the Hartford (through AARP). Both had good initial rates and for whatever reason, decided to raise rates, so I switched. We liked AAA, but they don't insure here in Florida, so when we moved, we needed someone else.

I've been with Progressive for three years now. The prices remain at about the best, but the claims-paying record is what keeps me there. Fortunately, we have not had a car claim, but until recently, we have had RVs insured through Progressive. Over the years we had three claims. All were settled for amounts that were more than fair and as quickly as anyone could hope for. One was in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, when insurers were really crunched, so I was very impressed. We're down to just car insurance now, so unless they raise their rates, we'll stick with them.
yeah Im looking at them... I currently have Geico (30yrs) and they seem to be inching up every year so Im looking around

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I have had USAA for over 30 years and don't have one complaint about them. Just got my home back after being in a hotel for 5 weeks due to my house had a water pipe break and it flooded most of the home. They had a remediation team out to the house in less than 90 minutes and the claims adjuster the next day. Over $31,000 in repairs and all I had to do was pay my deductible.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From the ads I have checked, if you quickly jump through 3 or 4 insurance companies, by the 4th your premiums will be in negative numbers, so they'll actually pay you to have their policy.

Reaction Score

Amica is dead to me. Was the last car in an accident where 2 cars cut me off before they all slammed on their brakes. Where rt 17 met rt 2 in Glastonbury, and 3 lanes went to 2, with an exit thrown in (in 1979, and I think it’s all been changed). Was only given a warning because the cop knew what happened. Amica dropped me.

Reaction Score
Well you have eight different options in this thread alone.

Only advice I would offer is to be wholistic in your approach. I recently had my auto bumped 15% by Metropolitan for reasons that I did not completely understand so I decided to quote around. My employer offers pretty considerable group discounts through Marsh with about 5 or 6 insurers. What I found was that my auto with Met was actually lower than the market, but property was substantially higher. Then there is the fact that if you have an umbrella, carriers will discount it if they carry all your underlying risks. So I went with The Hartford -- auto was +$200, umbrella -$200 and property -$1000. So while I hate to jump around the thousand seemed worth it. From what I could find out, Hartford is about average with claims settlement.

So my advice would be to look whether you have access to any consolidators through work or professional associations etc and be wholistic.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom