OT: Australian Open | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Australian Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank you. I remember the point being taken away from her at the US Open on a clear winner that Stosur had no chance of returning.

IMO, if they allow the screeching and hollering, then the hinder call is a bit disingenuous.
I agree. The hinder should only be call if it actually disrupts play. To call a hinder on a clear winner is kind of an oxymoron

Reaction Score
Thank you. I remember the point being taken away from her at the US Open on a clear winner that Stosur had no chance of returning.

IMO, if they allow the screeching and hollering, then the hinder call is a bit disingenuous.
I agree. The hinder should only be call if it actually disrupts play. To call a hinder on a clear winner is kind of an oxymoron

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Tlhe rules committee does not want to create extra judgment responsibilities for the ump. You could
imagine the disputes that would follow. Why it could turn mild-mannered players into John McEnroe!

Reaction Score
I don't think it would be that bad, it is not a call that is made very often. What Serena did in this game was a clear hinder. Maria had a play on the ball and did return it. Against Stosur it was a winner and Sam had no chance of getting to the ball.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Congrats to Djoker and Serena the queen o' tennis.

She sailed through the Australian Open. She's won the other three majors at least twice, all recently at least once. She fell at Roland Garros each of the five years she won the Aussie previously, but that doesn't mean that this conclusively isn't her year to do something that hasn't happened in 27 years.

There was a time when Serena was at 14 slams, at which point Martina and Chrissy were within reach. It took a while, mainly for physical reasons, but she surpassed them. At this point, the distance between 19 and 22 isn't prohibitive at all. It would be unprecedented to win so many Slams at her age and older, but if she makes hay now, she could well become the greatest champion of the Open Era.

And if she did get to 22...might she get to 24? Seems unlikely to say the least, but I'd love for it to happen. With all due respect to Margaret Court, I think Serena would be a more fitting greatest champion for the sport.

With the singles, doubles, and Olympic success, I think there's no question she's the GOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom