August non-UConn recruiting thread | The Boneyard

August non-UConn recruiting thread

Reaction Score
Not sure why a 5 star point guard (Chance Gray to Oregon) wants to potentially end up relegated to playing backup to Paopao (5 star PG with 4 yrs of eligibility left), Rogers (5 star PG with 3 yrs of eligibilty left), and maybe even Scherr (5 star Combo guard with 4 years of eligibility left). Nike $ a factor perhaps? (no, it's not a bad thing)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not sure why a 5 star point guard (Chance Gray to Oregon) wants to back up Paopao (5 star PG with 4 yrs of eligibility left), Rogers (5 star PG with 3 yrs of eligibilty left), and maybe even Scherr (5 star Combo guard with 4 years of eligibility left). Nike $ a factor perhaps? (no, it's not a bad thing)
Graves historically has played with multiple positionless guards/wings at the same time - Ionescu/Cazorla/S Sabally/Chavez/Moore, PaoPao/Scherr/Parish/Chavez, etc. All can shoot, pass, drive. And distribute ball handling responsibilities. Go Ducks!

Reaction Score
Not sure why a 5 star point guard (Chance Gray to Oregon) wants to potentially end up relegated to playing backup to Paopao (5 star PG with 4 yrs of eligibility left), Rogers (5 star PG with 3 yrs of eligibilty left), and maybe even Scherr (5 star Combo guard with 4 years of eligibility left). Nike $ a factor perhaps? (no, it's not a bad thing)
But in theory Paopao would be a junior when Gray gets there.
if paopao (or anyone else) is not going pro after 4 years, then not sure they’re 5star quality.

Reaction Score
Look at UCLA and Arizona and you can see where the trend is heading. Adia can't get enough PG's in case you have not noticed the style they run there.

And if you look at a polar opposite situation I am not sure why Scott Rueck at Oregon State runs things so lean at the point guard position the last couple of years. Could it be it is harder to recruit point guards with a system of half court sets?

MK74 has given a good answer in the style Graves like to play. Multple PG's

Reaction Score
Look at UCLA and Arizona and you can see where the trend is heading. Adia can't get enough PG's in case you have not noticed the style they run there.

And if you look at a polar opposite situation I am not sure why Scott Rueck at Oregon State runs things so lean at the point guard position the last couple of years. Could it be it is harder to recruit point guards with a system of half court sets?

MK74 has given a good answer in the style Graves like to play. Multple PG's
I think you are right about Rueck's system or preferred style of play. It does not seem to attract the top tier of truly quick, agressive, ball-hawking, ball-stealing, full court pressure, run and gun, drive and dish point guards. Heck, if he had one (and Destiny Slocum came the closest) he would probably make them run extra laps as punishment if they went for ball steals instead of playing straightup position defense or constanty pushed the ball up court after makes or misses. The fact that Destiny transferred to Arkansas, probably is an indicator as well. Rueck is known to have a huge playbook, not something one would normally associate with a free-wheeling, improvisational style.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you are right about Rueck's system or preferred style of play. It does not seem to attract the top tier of truly quick, agressive, ball-hawking, ball-stealing, full court pressure, run and gun, drive and dish point guards. Heck, if he had one (and Destiny Slocum came the closest) he would probably make them run extra laps as punishment if they went for ball steals instead of playing straightup position defense or constanty pushed the ball up court after makes or misses. The fact that Destiny transferred to Arkansas, probably is an indicator as well. Rueck is known to have a huge playbook, not something one would normally associate with a free-wheeling, improvisational style.
Totally agree with everything you said.

Reaction Score
Two top 50 recruits for 2021 class re-open their recruiting.

Lattimore was a 6-foot-4 five star forward who picked Syracuse over Cal, UCLA, Florida, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Baylor and Tennessee, according to ESPNW. She was ranked as the 6th best player at her position in the 2021 class. Dan Olson, who covers women's basketball recruiting for ESPNW, broke down Lattimore as follows

Day-Wilson was a 5-foot-5 four star point guard who was ranked as the 9th best point guard in the 2021 class. She chose the Orange over Florida, Notre Dame and Michigan.

Canadian teammates Shayeann Day-Wilson, Latasha Lattimore decommit from SU women’s basketball

Latasha Lattimore, Shayeann Day-Wilson Decommit from Syracuse

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Her social media activity certainly suggests that.
I dont think LSU was in her top group previously. She had been on visits to Ole Miss, Baylor and a couple other schools. That said, her parents are big Coach Yo fans.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I dont think she stays in state as of now. She was at Ole Miss 3 times this summer alone...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
5j7gfv.jpg

Reaction Score

Guess the new OU staff didn't have enough time to make an impression. DLB is a stud, and if I'm Coach B, I don't want her leaving the state without giving OU a close look.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom