Auburn (almost) a must-win game...... | The Boneyard

Auburn (almost) a must-win game......

Reaction Score
in terms of realistic shot at an at-large bid. At the start of the season I thought the worst case scenario would be 7-5 prior to start of AAC & losing AG or TL for extended time. That would be the reality if we lose to Auburn & we would be 1-5 in "meaningful" games. No we don't have any "bad" loses but the margin in our loses sure looks very bad on paper. A win vs Auburn wouldn't put us in great shape but it puts the train back on the tracks

Yes, we still have Nova & 8 games vs WSU / Cincy / SMU / Houston / Temple..........can we win 5 of those 9 with at least 21 overall wins?.....7-6 in non-conf & 12-6 in AAC won't do it.....it will take at minimum 8-5 in non conf & 13-5 in AAC IMO so anyway you slice it Auburn is (almost) a must win for at-large hopes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
in terms of realistic shot at an at-large bid. At the start of the season I thought the worst case scenario would be 7-5 prior to start of AAC & losing AG or TL for extended time. That would be the reality if we lose to Auburn & we would be 1-5 in "meaningful" games. No we don't have any "bad" loses but the margin in our loses sure looks very bad on paper. A win vs Auburn wouldn't put us in great shape but it puts the train back on the tracks

Yes, we still have Nova & 8 games vs WSU / Cincy / SMU / Houston / Temple.....can we win 5 of those 9 with at least 21 overall wins?.....7-6 in non-conf & 12-6 in AAC won't do it.....it will take at minimum 8-5 in non conf & 13-5 in AAC IMO so anyway you slice it Auburn is (almost) a must win for at-large hopes.

It's certainly a key game. But not a must win. What it will take to get in depends on who we beat and also how other teams on the bubble do. Some years it's tough to get an at large. Some years it isn't.

Reaction Score
I don't know who does it (maybe @huskymedic ?) on the baseball board, but they keep track of the objectives the team needs to hit in order to make a reasonable argument for a World Series bid.

It would be kinda neat for someone with more time on their hands than myself to do that for the basketball team.

Reaction Score
I don't know who does it (maybe @huskymedic ?) on the baseball board, but they keep track of the objectives the team needs to hit in order to make a reasonable argument for a World Series bid.

It would be kinda neat for someone with more time on their hands than myself to do that for the basketball team.

Not me... it’s @ucjoet and he does an awesome job with it.

Reaction Score
It's as close as a must-win for an at-large big as realistically can be forecasted.

Whenever you look at at-large bids, it's "who have they've beaten", especially out of conference. Beating Nova is a long-shot, so having Oregon and Auburn as OOC wins would be very helpful and a big morale boost for the team. They just played Arizona well, so if you beat Auburn and play a close game vs. Wichita, that's not a bad three-game stretch for this team to build on.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This team is a lot like most of Marvin Lewis' Bengals teams, without the dirty hits and jail terms. They beat who they should beat, they lose to who they should lose to. They never rise to an occasion.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If it's a "must win" game for an at-large bid, that probably means we have to win it and go really deep in the AAC tourney. The committee has shown they do not respect our conference and it remains to be seen how much difference Wichita will make in that.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wichita is 3-2 against they only good teams they've played.
Cincy is 2-2 against the only good teams they've played.
SMU and UCF are 3-3 against the only good teams they've played.
Houston lost to Drexel and LSU.
Temple lost to GW and LaSalle.

The AAC teams will have nobody to blame but themselves.

Reaction Score
Wichita is 3-2 against they only good teams they've played.
Cincy is 2-2 against the only good teams they've played.
SMU and UCF are 3-3 against the only good teams they've played.
Houston lost to Drexel and LSU.
Temple lost to GW and LaSalle.

The AAC teams will have nobody to blame but themselves.

Lol, are you actively trying to create yet another AAC vs NBE thread?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Anybody know who is calling the Auburn game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom