Aubrey Griffin... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin...

Reaction Score
UConn needs to figure out how it will be able to score 40 points per game with the absence of KLS and Collier. And land it's hands on 15 to 20 rebounds per game. In addition, folks will need to step up because Katie Lou won't be their to get bashed in the head in almost every physical game and take it.

Reaction Score
I remember most were trying to figure out where the points were going to come from after Stewie and gang left. It worked out ok. we have plenty of scorers that will step up as CW and ONo will be huge next year after their sophomore leap. CD and MW will increase their output too.

Reaction Score
From what I've seen (highlights on YouTube), she is a dynamic slasher and gets to the rim with ease. She can absorb some contact and play through it. I'm not sure what her percentages are and I have no idea where to find those so I can't really speak on her shooting prowess or her range, but she seems to be a good passer, too. However, this is all at the high school level. She has a good frame and I would equate it to MW her freshman year of college--solid, but definitely will need to get stronger to handle the physical nature of college basketball. I have no doubt she will be able to develop the strength needed to continue her slash and drive nature. She also seems to get a lot of foul calls, so getting a few less of those in college might be an adjustment for her, too. Overall, I imagine she could be that player that fearlessly drives to the basket even in traffic that has eluded UConn for so long. Could mean that other teams will finally get a taste of their own medicine.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As I said in an earlier post, Griffin will lead the Huskies in scoring next season. She just has so many different ways to score. She can't be stopped from putting up points, one way or the other, eh?

I couldn't resist this one. :rolleyes: At the outset, let me be very clear in stating that I would not have a problem with her being the leading scorer if she were able to pull it off. I couldn't care less who scores for us. Do you as a UConn fan really care who scores the most buckets/points for us, as long as we win?

The starters are going to take turns being the "game high" scorer during the season. You think Geno is going to care who wears that badge game to game as long as the job is getting done? For Aubrey to be the leading scorer next season, there are several dynamics that would have to take place BEFORE that were to happen.
  • She would have to start. Not impossible, but unlikely at this point. Things could change depending on Geno's success/failure of bringing in a graduate transfer or two that CAN/WILL help right now. If she were to start, that would mean Geno was unsuccessful in bringing in a graduate transfer or an as yet unsigned player that could take (command) the other starter's spot.
  • None of the reserves were able to step up and claim that 5th starters spot. I'm 99 44/100 % sure that ONO will start next season. She became the 6th man on the bench this year as Walker did the year before. Walker started the next year, so will ONO. She was the only player to come off the bench during the tournament. Coombs, Camara, Irwin and Bent all failed to improve their skills and abilities sufficient enough over the summer to be promoted to starter.
  • The other starters would have to defer to her. Plays would have to be run for her, and she would have to have a green light. SVCBeercats reminded us that the last freshman to lead UConn in scoring was Maya Moore. Most underclassmen defer to the upperclassmen on the floor. The seniors and juniors usually (not always) take most of the shots. For Aubrey to lead the team in scoring, she would have to take a minimum of 12-15 shots a game. Assuming she's only going to score a little more or less than half of them, plus her free throws. I don't see Walker or Williams deferring to anyone next season. Now that Collier and Samuelson are gone, the stage is theirs. I look for them to shoot more than last season. Geno is looking for someone to step up and take the lead. You can bet those two will have the green light from tip to buzzer. Someone will have to step up and replace the production of Lou and Phee. We know it's not going to come from the bench. Again this year, the starters will have to do ALL of the heavy lifting for the team in 2019-2020. One other very important adjust she will have to make is learning how to play without the ball. Remember, Christyn said that was something she had to adjust to.
  • Geno would have to let her play through those freshman mistakes (not pull her) she will inevitably make. Remember Walker's freshman year. She was not afforded that luxury. When she made an error, oft-times she was pulled. Geno had options then, He didn't last year which is why Williams was seldom pulled when she made an error or omission in judgment or execution.
  • She would have to break through that freshman wall quickly. She can't linger behind the wall too long. She must get beyond it and continue to stay in rhythm and sync with the other starters. Her production can't take a nose dive for any length of time. Katie Lou (2322) missed 4 games with her back injury at the end of conference play. She missed passing Tina Charles (2346) for 4th place on the UConn career scoring list by 5 points. Missing a game or two can be the difference in coming in first or second. Griffin would have to find a way to shrug off the effects of fatigue during the second half of the season, as the college season is much longer than that of high school. She will need to adjust quickly to the longer season and the rigors of D1 WCBB. I will not use or mention the "I" word here or in any narrative that I talk about Aubrey. She's already paid her dues in that area of concern. She must stay healthy and available the entire season.
If she can over come all of these points, she very well could be UConn's leading scorer next season. I wish Aubrey all the best not only next season, but her entire four years in the program. All of that being said, I don't see her freshman year being anything other than a "period of adjustment". Based on the further development of the reserves, and Geno's ability to bring in some additional players, Aubrey's time on the floor could be limited at best. Regardless, she'll be fun to watch and grow into an elite talent for UConn, similar to that of Lou and Napheesa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
New piece up on Aubrey:

Storrs is only two hours away from home in Ossining, which Griffin viewed as a major advantage. She also said she wanted to put herself in a position to be surrounded by elite players.

That’s something she believes she can find with the team that’s won six of the last ten women’s basketball national championships.

“Going to UConn, you know there’s going to be great players there,” she said. “No matter who I pass the ball to they can all score. It’s a great environment and it’s close to home, so it’ll be good.”

Following the All American Game, the exciting spring for Griffin continues — next is high school graduation, before she heads to Storrs.

“I’m really excited just to go there and experience what most players don’t, really,” Griffin said. “And I’m excited to get to meet my new teammates.”

Her goals at UConn remain the same as they were heading into the McDonald’s game, the USA trials, and looking ahead to big things as a Husky.

“I want to be a better player overall,” Griffin said. “I just want to leave my own legacy.”

StorrsCentral.com - Husky Signee Aubrey Griffin on UConn and Netflix Favorites

Reaction Score
Like Kaleena, Aubrey is a scorer who is taller, faster and more athletic than K. Aubrey, with her exceptionally long strides, gets up and down the court faster than most, and likes to take it straight to the hoop, The only person who can stop her is Geno. She'll score even more when the PGs come to town - Paige and Nika.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Like Kaleena, Aubrey is a scorer who is taller, faster and more athletic than K. Aubrey, with her exceptionally long strides, gets up and down the court faster than most, and likes to take it straight to the hoop, The only person who can stop her is Geno. She'll score even more when the PGs come to town - Paige and Nika.
UCONN already has a pretty good PG on the roster - Crystal Dangerfield. Perhaps you've heard of her?! ;):p

Reaction Score
Paige and Nika are a lot taller than CD and can see over defenders

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like Aubrey. I think she’s almost in the Diamond DeShields category in terms of athleticism. But she doesn’t have Kaleena’s shot. Only Azzi Fudd has a comparable shot.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I’ll say this again. Be patient Husky fans. It’s going to take a little time, but Aubrey has a huge upside.

giphy.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom