Attic stairs. 24 hour thread. | The Boneyard

Attic stairs. 24 hour thread.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone have any experience with these? I am trying to decide between Werner and Century. Both have the same loads; both are insulated; both have medal folding steps. The differences that I can see are and extra 5" in width (14.75" vs 20") and a "gas locking mechanism." Price is about $193 for Werner and $395 for the Century ones.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No experience, but I'll be interested as I'm sick of bring a ladder upstairs every time I need to get up there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We needed to replace the ones in the house we bought 16+ years ago and I went with the Werner one. Tread width has not been an issue but I'd be curious about the locking mechanism because there is a weird pressure point at one specific angle, while standing in the lower section and leaning into the ladder, when the joint between that section and the next gives and the bottom section moves up off the ground. It's disconcerting when it happens, especially if you have a load in your arms and are unable to grab the railing. No accidents yet, thank God, and once you remember it you also remember to brace yourself for it so you can avoid it, but it would be nice not to have that issue. Not sure it's worth twice the price, but I'd probably feel differently if one of us fell.

Speaking of which, thank God also that the statute of limitations has long ago run for the contractor to make a claim against us. Unrelated to the stairway design, he managed to fall out of the attic and onto his back while doing the job and he had to have his cousin come help him finish it because he was injured in the process. He was self-employed and waived worker's comp for himself, but he told me he was insured when I hired him so I just reminded him of that fact afterwards and never heard from him again.

Reaction Score
It depends on how often you use the stairs
If it’s once a year does it really matter which one you go with but If it’s once a week durability and ease of use are bigger issues.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tread width has not been an issue but I'd be curious about the locking mechanism because there is a weird pressure point at one specific angle, while standing in the lower section and leaning into the ladder, when the joint between that section and the next gives and the bottom section moves up off the ground. I
That is weird. Did you figure out what is causing it?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That is weird. Did you figure out what is causing it?
No. I haven't investigated it much at all actually, other than trying to replicate it when it first happened. I think I concluded that it has something to do with the angle, which isn't perfect. If we're in the attic, that means we're in the middle of doing something else, and by the time we're done with that something else I've forgotten about, until the next time we use those stairs. It's not a huge issue but it would be nice not to have it.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
do you know the spacing of the ceiling joists? they are both designed to fit between existing framing , either 16" oc or 24" oc (on center) so all you would be required to do is box out the 2 open ends instead of a much larger re-frame of the ceiling if you were to cut an existing joist to accommodate the width you will need sister the outer joists and box out the ends with joist hangers or risk compromising the soundness of the structure, this is much more involve and I would recommend avoiding. They install easily enough. The difference in cost has more to do with more material for stairs (aluminum) & the less frequent the ones for a 24"oc framing are sold and needed.

Reaction Score
Anyone have any experience with these? I am trying to decide between Werner and Century. Both have the same loads; both are insulated; both have medal folding steps. The differences that I can see are and extra 5" in width (14.75" vs 20") and a "gas locking mechanism." Price is about $193 for Werner and $395 for the Century ones.
I sell HVAC systems so I’ve gone into a few attics a day, everyday for the past 10 years. I’ve noticed the Werner ones and they are nice. I did see one that was broken not long after it’s installation though. Werner makes a pretty good ladder in general but their mechanisms usually need to be kept oiled. I haven’t noticed a century one. If you’re having it professionally installed then pick the wider stair set. Especially if you have a central air system in the attic. It could save you hundreds on your quote some day if the technicians don’t have to dismantle the air handlers to bring them up and down the attic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom