OT: Attic Fans

I had an attic fan BEFORE I installed AC. It helped but no where near the comfort of AC. Not worth the money and hassle to install if you already have air, in my opinion.

I had an attic fan BEFORE I installed AC. It helped but no where near the comfort of AC. Not worth the money and hassle to install if you already have air, in my opinion.
Putting in new siding on the north wall of my house, and was thinking it might be a good idea if it will reduce costs for AC.

Worth noting - I’m likely installing a minisplit AC unit for my living room and bedroom (200 sq ft total), which will likely be more efficient than the current window AC I’m using for my bedroom (~90 sq ft).

Putting in new siding on the north wall of my house, and was thinking it might be a good idea if it will reduce costs for AC.

Worth noting - I’m likely installing a minisplit AC unit for my living room and bedroom (200 sq ft total), which will likely be more efficient than the current window AC I’m using for my bedroom (~90 sq ft).
Window AC units are a different animal and an attic fan can certainly help. I used to open one window on each side of my house and then turn the fan on. Had to sleep under the covers most nights. But, you still deal with humidity issues you don't get with central air. Good luck.

In my last house I had central air, but we had trouble keeping the 2nd floor cool, especially when the sun was out on hot days. We installed a gable fan to cool down the attic. It worked well and help to ventilate the attic during the humid months. I thought it was well worth it.

It sucks that you wife makes you and your buddies watch UConn games in the attic. However I can understand given the yelling and profanities that can happen throughout a close game. I guess if you have a decent tv and easy access to a fridge it doesn’t matter where you watch the game. All hail the Attic Fans!

Fishy

Puncher of Throats

If the idea is reducing AC costs, don’t bother.

There’s a better chance of it increasing your energy use.

CL82

Trust the process
This article was pretty good on the pros and cons.

Fans in the Attic: Do They Help or Do They Hurt?

Note that they are talking about whole house fans here which is what I think you mean. The concept behind a whole house fan is to suck in cold air at night to cool your house. Here's the money quote from the article:

Whole-house fans are intended to be used in homes that are not air-conditioned. It makes no sense to introduce lots of (potentially humid) exterior air into a house at night if you intend to turn on an air conditioner the next day. If you're using your air conditioner, keep your windows closed, 24 hours a day, so that the air conditioner isn't faced with an increased latent load due to exterior humidity entering the house at night.

I have an "attic fan" which turns on via thermostat to vent excess heat out of the attic. I have a very large section of roof that orients to the south and my attic gets amazingly hot. I think the fan kicks on at like 120 degrees to vent. That's useful but won't impact your heating bill materially.

huskypantz

Freestyle mumble rapper
I have a gable vent fan with both thermostat and humidistat, but I do not have central air. I installed it about 2 years ago along will baffles as I've got gables and soffits, of course no ridge vent. I had a case of mold that was related to an ice dam via that hellacious winter. I had a full mold remediation and had mold resistant paint coated, so the upgraded fan was worth it to me (prior model was lower powered and had thermostat only). My attic was previously smoldering hot. After installing, attic temp has been incredibly well controlled.

If the idea is reducing AC costs, don’t bother. There’s a better chance of it increasing your energy use.
If @temery has ridge vents, attic fans likely compete with vents. If no ridge vents exist, solar-powered attic ventilation fans can potentially help knock down attic temps. At least in a hotter, more humid location than western Mass, they've helped a LOT in a lake/rental house with no ridge vents. The solar fan manufacturer's suggested coverage capacity was not as large as advertised, but the units didn't cost too much, we added an extra fan, and combined they definitely knocked Jun-Sept attic temps down 20+ F. One caveat, the attic fans' lifespans are TBD