Attendance (Redux) | The Boneyard

Attendance (Redux)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have read enough posts here to conclude that some people think attendance being down is specific to UConn Women's Basketball. An article in USA Today, admittedly about NCAA men's basketball, makes some points that I think also address our own attendance issues.

The article (LINK), suggests otherwise-- and provides some reasons why (i.e. technology available to allow easier and more universal viewing, younger viewers with their different expectations, etc.) we might not make be able to draw (erroneous?) conclusions about our "product."

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
You beat me to it. I saw the headline on the front page of USA Today at the supermarket this morning. I just finished reading it.

I don't think WCBB has lost as much as the men. The NCAA hasn't put up this years numbers yet but I think the last time I looked WCBB attendance was either flat or up a bit over the same period.

However, UConn's attendance numbers continue to drop. They have lost nearly 17% over the same four year period referenced in the article. This year alone UConn women's home attendance dropped just over 6%. That was higher than I expected. Poor attendance at the BigEast tournament didn't help.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You beat me to it. I saw the headline on the front page of USA Today at the supermarket this morning. I just finished reading it.

I don't think WCBB has lost as much as the men. The NCAA hasn't put up this years numbers yet but I think the last time I looked WCBB attendance was either flat or up a bit over the same period.

However, UConn's attendance numbers continue to drop. They have lost nearly 17% over the same four year period referenced in the article. This year alone UConn women's home attendance dropped just over 6%. That was higher than I expected. Poor attendance at the BigEast tournament didn't help.
poor to whom... is "lower than expected" the same thing?

how did the other conferences do...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
poor to whom... is "lower than expected" the same thing?

how did the other conferences do...

How "poor" was this Big East attendance? I know that the ACC's tourney attendance was up over last year... though down compared to the middle of the decade. As far as the finals go..... but I would guess the ACC was in third place after the SEC and Big East. Then again.. the Big East had UCONN playing Hartford, and the SEC had Tennessee playing in Nashville. For the ACC to draw over 9,000 fans in Greensboro (NC) for a game between Maryland and Georgia Tech.... thats pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom