Attack the press! | The Boneyard

Attack the press!

Reaction Score
That lame press should have produced a UConn dunkfest. Instead they never solved a basketball 101 question. They played into PC's hands. PC never had to change.

This is simple. When pressed, blow by the first man and get the ball to the MIDDLE of the floor over the half court line. That man drives to lane and when it draws the defender, you pass for the lay up or the dunk.

Instead we threw the ball from side to side, bleed the clock and started our offense with 20 seconds on the clock. It not only makes you have to quicken your offense. It has stolen your aggression. That performance was awful. It was depressing to watch. And I can not figure out why our coach never adjusted. Bad. Bad. Bad.

Reaction Score
Because Hurley is not a good in-game coach. He’s either too stubborn to make adjustments or he just flat out doesn’t know. I like the guy and I hope he’s the long term answer, but he needs to step it up. If we don’t make the tournament this season then next year is a make or break for Hurley. If he goes 0-4 on NCAA he has to be gone

Reaction Score
That lame press should have produced a UConn dunkfest. Instead they never solved a basketball 101 question. They played into PC's hands. PC never had to change.

This is simple. When pressed, blow by the first man and get the ball to the MIDDLE of the floor over the half court line. That man drives to lane and when it draws the defender, you pass for the lay up or the dunk.

Instead we threw the ball from side to side, bleed the clock and started our offense with 20 seconds on the clock. It not only makes you have to quicken your offense. It has stolen your aggression. That performance was awful. It was depressing to watch. And I can not figure out why our coach never adjusted. Bad. Bad. Bad.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
How much no UConn beat writer asks us why we didn't attack the press? They will ask about Bouknight.

Reaction Score

Yep the one time we attached at the end, Andre got a dunk
A little too late
Very frustrating. My teenage son even mentioned how back on our heels we were on offense

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We then wait another 10 seconds or more before shooting the basketball.

We had multiple possessions when the shot clock was under 5 seconds, and it wasn't due to their defense.
Same over and over again. Drive inside and go back out. Exchanges outside the 3 point line. until we are in trouble. Any coach would easily figure how to defend that.

Reaction Score

Gaff is a deer when he sees the press.

Reaction Score
Never a great sign when people are posting over and over again that our coach needs to "step up" his in game coaching.

That's not something you just learn to "Step up". You either have the instincts to react during a game or you don't.
It is becoming a concerning trend. The last 3 games, we have played right into the other team's strengths. We've been dictated to. That is not the sign of a good coach.

Reaction Score

'This is simple. When pressed, blow by the first man and get the ball to the MIDDLE of the floor over the half court line. That man drives to lane and when it draws the defender, you pass for the lay up or the dunk.'

We all learned this in high school...Hurley's father is in the Hall of Fame for his work as a high school coach. Is his Dad not giving him some pointers? Are his assistant coaches not providing some suggestions?

Coach Dan has proven he knows how to recruit. But he's like the guy who has enough money to buy a Ferrari but no one has taught him how to drive it.

Reaction Score
'This is simple. When pressed, blow by the first man and get the ball to the MIDDLE of the floor over the half court line. That man drives to lane and when it draws the defender, you pass for the lay up or the dunk.'

We all learned this in high school...Hurley's father is in the Hall of Fame for his work as a high school coach. Is his Dad not giving him some pointers? Are his assistant coaches not providing some suggestions?

Coach Dan has proven he knows how to recruit. But he's like the guy who has enough money to buy a Ferrari but no one has taught him how to drive it.
The Ferrari has left the building..............

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I agree, I mean how many drives to the basket did we see in the last game? It wasn't more than a handful. We have players capable of doing it... stuff some dang balls in. If perimeter isn't working shift to the inside. I'd rather see them trying different stuff and it failing than just sticking to something that isn't working, at least it would give them a chance. I'll give the team that this year has been super hard to get drive and team work going with the choppy schedule and what's going on in the greater world.

They have got to have more than one strategy and be willing to change it up. Passing around the perimeter until it gets batted away or you have to take a shot with <5s isn't a winner from what I can see. Do we have any transition game at all?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom