Athletic Depts offering NIL logo's for players... What should Paige's look like? | The Boneyard

Athletic Depts offering NIL logo's for players... What should Paige's look like?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Should she go with a clean modern look:
1624977089163.png

Or maybe a little more suggestive of motion:

1624977165363.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Many of those USC logos are pretty flat. Of course, if I tried it would be awful.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Something involving Peanut Butter would seem to be in order. Maybe with a Husky standing nearby.

Reaction Score
Something involving Peanut Butter would seem to be in order. Maybe with a Husky standing nearby.
Unfortunately she will not be allowed to use anything related to the school, uniform, or mascot, and may even include her #5 and school colors depending on what the university considers its property.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In a related story, University of Wisconsin QB, Graham Mertz just trademarked his own logo this week.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Unfortunately she will not be allowed to use anything related to the school, uniform, or mascot, and may even include her #5 and school colors depending on what the university considers its property.
It seems to me that UConn and other universities would have an incentive to negotiate with their star players about this. If UConn gives Paige permission to use UConn-related images (perhaps for a nominal fee), UConn would get a return on that investments through favorable publicity which should positively affect recruiting -- and not only for WCBB as a single sport. Don't UConn and Paige have a shared interest in publicizing her accomplishments (and their relationship to the university) as widely as possible?

On the other hand, forcing her to omit any allusion to the team that she plays for would result in advertisement that is not team-oriented, which is not the image that either Paige or UConn wants to convey.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that UConn and other universities would have an incentive to negotiate with their star players about this. If UConn gives Paige permission to use UConn-related images (perhaps for a nominal fee), UConn would get a return on that investments through favorable publicity which should positively affect recruiting -- and not only for WCBB as a single sport. Don't UConn and Paige have a shared interest in publicizing her accomplishments (and their relationship to the university) as widely as possible?

On the other hand, forcing her to omit any allusion to the team that she plays for would result in advertisement that is not team-oriented, which is not the image that either Paige or UConn wants to convey.
Yeah you'd think, but from the university's perspective, they have to navigate a myriad of financial partnerships and contracts with other sponsors, the NCAA, and the Big East. Say Paige gets the OK from the school to appear in her uniform. Well that uniform has logos for the NCAA and Big East on it, so they will surely want their cut as well, and what happens when Paige is endorsing products in conflict with a deal the university/NCAA/Big East has in place for its members? Paige is gonna need a lawyer, agent, and accountant. I still don't think the market is that big, and I base this on the deals the best of the best pros in the world in this sport get. It may end up that after Paige is done paying everyone with their hands out that the amount she will net won't be worth the headaches.

Reaction Score
Yeah you'd think, but from the university's perspective, they have to navigate a myriad of financial partnerships and contracts with other sponsors, the NCAA, and the Big East. Say Paige gets the OK from the school to appear in her uniform. Well that uniform has logos for the NCAA and Big East on it, so they will surely want their cut as well, and what happens when Paige is endorsing products in conflict with a deal the university/NCAA/Big East has in place for its members? Paige is gonna need a lawyer, agent, and accountant. I still don't think the market is that big, and I base this on the deals the best of the best pros in the world in this sport get. It may end up that after Paige is done paying everyone with their hands out that the amount she will net won't be worth the headaches.

So what's to stop Nike for signing both Geno and Bueckers to contracts and cutting UConn in for a few million? Win win win.

Reaction Score
So what's to stop Nike for signing both Geno and Bueckers to contracts and cutting UConn in for a few million? Win win win.
Getting sued by Under Armour for breach of their existing contract's non-compete clause. This scenario isn't accurate from UConn's perspective since I think they are a Nike school, and who knows the terms and conditions of the contract, but it serves as an example for how it could go down badly once this complicated web of existing obligations starts to clash with players off doing their own deals that create a nexus between the players' deals and their respective schools.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Getting sued by Under Armour for breach of their existing contract's non-compete clause. This scenario isn't accurate from UConn's perspective since I think they are a Nike school, and who knows the terms and conditions of the contract, but it serves as an example for how it could go down badly once this complicated web of existing obligations starts to clash with players off doing their own deals that create a nexus between the players' deals and their respective schools.
That’s why every major school has hired advisors in their compliance departments to advise athletes on contracts, taxes, etc. Top athletes like Paige will likely have their own agent/attorney.

Reaction Score
That’s why every major school has hired advisors in their compliance departments to advise athletes on contracts, taxes, etc. Top athletes like Paige will likely have their own agent/attorney.
Of course, but this whole thing is far from a win win win, and we're not even talking about big money here. UConn will spend hundreds of thousands annually on extra staff that ensures the school remains compliant with their existing obligations just for the possibility that they get a $25k cut of one of Paige's deals.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of course, but this whole thing is far from a win win win, and we're not even talking about big money here. UConn will spend hundreds of thousands annually on extra staff that ensures the school remains compliant with their existing obligations just for the possibility that they get a $25k cut of one of Paige's deals.
I doubt UConn will get a cut of any player’s NIL deal. At present, UConn has hired 1 consultant, likely on a part time basis, to advise players. If that cost is an issue, maybe Geno can donate a portion of his reported $2.7 million annual income to pay for any additional costs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
PLACE TWO BASKETBALL IN THE CIRCLES
Nice, want to split the commission with me?

I actually though about making the P a basketball and the B a rim with halftoned colors but that is more than I can do.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
UConn, or any other school will not get anything from this. Players are prohibited from using the school logo, name, or any likeness that identifies them. We have seen this for years with professional athletes, famous basketball players in uniform with just a number on the front, or football players with a blank football helmet. The only recognition the school will get is if the athlete is super famous and has already been identified with that school. This is all about the players, not the schools.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn, or any other school will not get anything from this. Players are prohibited from using the school logo, name, or any likeness that identifies them. We have seen this for years with professional athletes, famous basketball players in uniform with just a number on the front, or football players with a blank football helmet. The only recognition the school will get is if the athlete is super famous and has already been identified with that school. This is all about the players, not the schools.
In addition, UConn’s policy prohibits school staff and boosters from “facilitating” any NIL deals for athletes. As I understand it, UConn has hired a part time consultant who works for the Compliance Department, who’s sole purpose is to advise athletes, to insure that any NIL contracts they sign comply with NCAA and/or school regulations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom