Athens, Greece | The Boneyard

Athens, Greece

Reaction Score
I'm going to be in Athens next month for 5 days before I move on to the Czech Republic for a 3 day Masters of Rock music Festival. If anyone has been there what are the things I should try to squeeze in during those 5 days? Would like to spend at least 1/2 day at a beach. Will also have a car to use.
Thanks

Reaction Score
How much traveling do you want to do? While there?

Besides the obvious (Acropolis, which is very overcrowded, and the Parthenon Museum, which is an incredible building), would you be willing to take a 4 hour car trip/tour to Delphi? Osios Loukas?

Would you take a 1 or 2 hour boat ride to the Island of Aegina? Near Athens?

Or you could chill out at the restaurants and cafes in the old town Plaka near the Acropolis.

If I were you, I would fly to Santorini and stay on the cliff-face in Oia, buy a ticket on a Catamaran for a trip around the island. Airfares to Santorini are relatively cheap and the flight lasts about 40 minutes.

5 days is plenty of time to do that. 2 or 3 days in Santorini.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Speaking of islands. Thinking of a trip next year with my family (wife + 4 year old) — anyone been to Naxos? Any other islands to consider?

Reaction Score
Speaking of islands. Thinking of a trip next year with my family (wife + 4 year old) — anyone been to Naxos? Any other islands to consider?

Skip Naxos. Go to Milos. So great, so underrated.

Paros is better than Naxos too.

I've been to all the Cycladic Islands. I'd rate them: 1. Santorini, 2. Milos.... all the rest.

Reaction Score
I've only been to Crete and Santorini. I enjoyed my time at both but they are very different experiences. Staying along the cliffs on Santorini is not to be missed. Just spectacular. Crete is a lot bigger. Get a car. Stay in the resorts along the north shore but cross the island. Tons to see and explore.

Reaction Score
Spend a day sightseeing (acropolis, Parthenon, old Olympic sites), spend 2 days in Santorini (Stay in imorogivili), spend another day in Mykonos on the beach. In my opinion you can do Athens in a day if you don’t care to see everything.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be in Athens next month for 5 days before I move on to the Czech Republic for a 3 day Masters of Rock music Festival. If anyone has been there what are the things I should try to squeeze in during those 5 days? Would like to spend at least 1/2 day at a beach. Will also have a car to use.
Thanks
How much traveling do you want to do? While there?

Besides the obvious (Acropolis, which is very overcrowded, and the Parthenon Museum, which is an incredible building), would you be willing to take a 4 hour car trip/tour to Delphi? Osios Loukas?

Would you take a 1 or 2 hour boat ride to the Island of Aegina? Near Athens?

Or you could chill out at the restaurants and cafes in the old town Plaka near the Acropolis.

If I were you, I would fly to Santorini and stay on the cliff-face in Oia, buy a ticket on a Catamaran for a trip around the island. Airfares to Santorini are relatively cheap and the flight lasts about 40 minutes.

5 days is plenty of time to do that. 2 or 3 days in Santorini.

Yup, we went to Santorini on our honeymoon. Perhaps the most beautiful and interesting place I’ve ever been.

We did a day and night in Athens too. The Acropolis is obviously cool but other than that there’s not a whole lot going on (and it’s kinda dirty)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Was there two months ago. Aside from the fabulous Acropolis and a few other historic sites, Athens is not an attractive city, easily the least attractive major city I’ve been to. There are a lot of good restaurants in the area near the Acropolis. The places others mentioned are worth it. A few days in Athens is plenty, so if you have the time, get to Mycenae, Olympia and Delphi. Getting to the islands in a 5 day stretch including a few days in Athens would pretty much exclude the mainland sites. Too spread out. Santorini is beautiful. Crete is probably the most interesting historically along with Rhodes.

We loved Greece physically beyond the islands, Greece is generally beautifully rugged looking. It is not an easy walking place. Many of the historic places require extended uphill climbs, often up paths and steps that are uneven and worn smooth over a few thousand years.

Bon voyage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since it hasn't been mentioned by others much, don't miss the Acropolis museum which is at the bottom of the Acropolis.

One thing I think people are missing here is that the Acropolis is located in the central old area which is indeed more ratty, but like other cities, Athens is huge and has neighborhoods. Only Plaka has that charm. The Athenians mainly congregate in places like Glyfada, which is waterside, or Kolonaki.

Reaction Score
Since it hasn't been mentioned by others much, don't miss the Acropolis museum which is at the bottom of the Acropolis.

One thing I think people are missing here is that the Acropolis is located in the central old area which is indeed more ratty, but like other cities, Athens is huge and has neighborhoods. Only Plaka has that charm. The Athenians mainly congregate in places like Glyfada, which is waterside, or Kolonaki.

Yes, most people don't know about the seaside upscale suburban areas of Athens (Athenian Riviera) which includes Glyfada, Voula and Vouliagmeni. This is where wealthy Athenians live, shop and go to the beach. The Four Seasons is located in Vouliagmeni (links below) and if you are spending a few days in Athens and want to pamper yourself, this is the spot.

Other than that, most other recommendations are spot on: The acropolis and its museum are a must see. I also very much enjoy Plaka (the ancient neighborhood that sits at the base of the Acropolis) at night. All the streets are closed to cars and it becomes an outdoor dining and shopping experience. So, I would try to hit the Acropolis later in the day and stay in Plaka through nightfall.

As others have suggested, you can easily take a fast ferry to many amazing islands (2-3 hour ferry ride, take fast ferry) that are near Athens for a 1-2 day trip. I recommend Milos...

Enjoy the trip...I hope its life changing.

Reaction Score
I would definitely include Olympia and Santorini.
To walk or jog on the original Olympic track is unforgettable.
Santorini is beautiful especially Oia

Reaction Score
Have fun Kathy. Greece is a beautiful place. I was there last summer water skiing with my friend after practicing for years at Fisher Meadow pond. My friend lived like a king in Greece because his father in law who gave him $10 mill made a "killing" in the corrupt Wall Street mortgage factory. Securitization fraudster more or less. :(

Go to Mavro Pravato.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
A couple of miles up the road is Glyfada. Gorgeous beach. Relax. When I was there they didn't care for Americans. A small Kiosk guy opened the window, I asked for a stamp, he gave it to me slammed the window shut and sneered. Well that was in the mid 70's. Back then they thought I Love Lucy was the #1 TV show in America. The ruins are fantastic. Someone a few posts up suggested see Athens and get out. I agree 100% on that statement. I wonder if the Airport is still Heliken Airport. One runway. When landing the pilot asked everyone to put there feet out to help stop the plane. I was in the service then. I am sure it has gotten better.

Reaction Score
... that was in the mid 70's. Someone a few posts up suggested see Athens and get out. I agree 100% on that statement. I wonder if the Airport is still Heliken Airport. One runway.
Athens 2004 Olympics: Shockingly, Greece may have built a new Athens airport, metro system, new & rehabbed roads, shiploads of infrastructure, etc and ... helped the country encounter just a few economic challenges. Everything’s the same as in the 70s ... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Athens is cool if you can appreciate really ancient history. Seeing the Parthenon/Acropolis, all that super ancient stuff is awesome. It's really cool to just see how they weave in modern and ancient things together.

Tried some fried cheese, it's pretty cool stuff.

They also always give you a shot of some weird booze after dinner, uzo or something? It's like Sambuca, and it's pretty gross, but hey when in Athens.... ?

I also went to Santorini and it's absolutely beautiful but also very expensive. Unless you stay at a party hostel but then you have to deal with drunk 18 year old Australian people, which is either a huge positive or negative depending on where you are in your life.

Reaction Score
Athens is cool if you can appreciate really ancient history. Seeing the Parthenon/Acropolis, all that super ancient stuff is awesome. It's really cool to just see how they weave in modern and ancient things together.

Tried some fried cheese, it's pretty cool stuff.

They also always give you a shot of some weird booze after dinner, uzo or something? It's like Sambuca, and it's pretty gross, but hey when in Athens.... ?

I also went to Santorini and it's absolutely beautiful but also very expensive. Unless you stay at a party hostel but then you have to deal with drunk 18 year old Australian people, which is either a huge positive or negative depending on where you are in your life.

Just as an FYI, I stayed in a house right on the cliff in Oia (Santorini) for $150 a night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom