At this moment is the ACC the only good option that might not even be one? | The Boneyard

At this moment is the ACC the only good option that might not even be one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It just seems that the only good option at the moment is to join ACC along with the Cuse and Pitt, but it seems the ACC prefers at least two other programs before they would consider UConn.

The next option would be for the BE to replace SU & Pitt, but are there any equivalent FB programs out there? IMO, we would be okay regardless if their replacements are not very good in hoops, as much as I'm much more a hoops fan that pigskin fan. TCU is obviously a FB upgrade over those two programs, at least based on recent success. Seems this would be option #2 and IMO, not necessary quite fitting the "good option" category. What good FB programs are out there to be added? Any suggestions? I heard someone say Army, but really!!!! ND becoming a full member would help, but that's not going to happen. If they join somewhere for all their sports it will likely be the ACC or the B-10 (if they offer it to them) and they even decide to relinquish their FB independence. I can't help but wonder what Nova is thinking, since they have wrestled with going big time FB but have not been able to pull the trigger. I wonder if the BE keeps the ramaining FB schools, if Nova will quickly move to D1 FB. I've not heard much if anything about them considering that lately.

The third might have been for the BE FB schools breaking from the rest of the BE and combining with the Big-12 in some East - Midwest divisional breakdown, but I think the latest word is the PAC-10 and Big-12 are stepping back from much of this expansion talk.

Reaction Score
The ACC is only a good option in football (and that is debatable) but it would have to upgrade its basketball schools for it to be on par with the Big East , even without 'Cuse and Pitt. There are three god-awful basketball programs (Wake, GT, and NCS) that are spiraling downward. You probably can add BCU to the list in basketball as they are probably the fourth best basketball school in the Boston area.
Also, GT, UNC, and Miami will be on football probation in the near future, and one can't speculate where these programs will be in 2014. There's a definite risk involved with going to the ACC (if it's even an option), and I believe that our University must think this through.
Finally, Miami could receive the NCAA "death penalty" in football and possibly basketball.

Reaction Score
While I understand it's still early in the process, UCONN has been already snubbed by the ACC. Now we are on our knees? OK football drives everything and we are just so so, but we are a 3 time National Champion in hoop, and you would think that the least they could leak is that they are happy to get the application. If this process has been in the talking stages for many months, it's a bad sign. They should also say something to fend off UCONN moving toward the B10. The ACC has an opportunity here to become the best basketball conference by adding UCONN and Louisville. Texas, kansas, Oklahoma don't work geographically (I know TCU). Notre Dame is not giving up independent status or money so how do they get into the ACC?

Reaction Score
I agree about a merger with the Big 12 teams as a possible alternative. I posted this "rebuilding" option previously:

I see the conference adding teams, obviously, and dividing into two divisions (football and non-football). They COULD look something like this:

Football Division:
USF
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Rutgers
Connecticut
TCU
Temple or UCF (assuming ND refuses to join the football conference and we can't get Kansas)

Non-Football Division:
St. John's
Georgetown
Villanova
Marquette
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul
Xavier or Butler

The Big 12 is in a bit of a disarray and many of the teams not named Texas are pissed. I could see them leaving to join the Big East conference in a merger. Again, the goal is 14-16 teams. First, I think you need to kick out the non-football teams in this nuclear option. Let them form a new basketball league with some additions from CUSA, the A10, and so on. The new Big East would look like this:

USF
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Rutgers
Connecticut
TCU
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas State

You could then split the conference into two divisions based on geography:

Eastern:

USF
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Rutgers
Connecticut
Iowa State

Central:

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Kansas State
Kansas
Missouri

If ND wants to stay, they can join the Eastern division or we could add a wild card team like Temple, UCF, Memphis, Tulane, Houston, Rice, Tulsa or one of the military academies. One or more of those teams can also be added if not all of the B12 teams wants to merge.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
While I understand it's still early in the process, UCONN has been already snubbed by the ACC. Now we are on our knees? OK football drives everything and we are just so so, but we are a 3 time National Champion in hoop, and you would think that the least they could leak is that they are happy to get the application. If this process has been in the talking stages for many months, it's a bad sign. They should also say something to fend off UCONN moving toward the B10. The ACC has an opportunity here to become the best basketball conference by adding UCONN and Louisville. Texas, kansas, Oklahoma don't work geographically (I know TCU). Notre Dame is not giving up independent status or money so how do they get into the ACC?

Not snubbed. Temporarily on hold. I think the best option is to get into the ACC because any of the other two option Dogmania proposes is likely to last only a short time and UConn would be in the same predicament it is in now. But I agree with others it is somewhat of a downgrade in BB even with UNC, Duke, Pitt and Cuse. And I just don't see it as an upgrade in football over the BE before the desertion of Pitt and Cuse. Furthermore there is no guarantee the ACC won't get poached and FSU/Clemson/VT leave the conference and that would absolutely destroy the ACC football conference. So even though the ACC is the best option for UConn imo, it still stinks.

Huskiemaniac's conference would be my first choice but OK, OSU and Mizzou won't be available. If they were I would sacrifice bb for football.

And you never know. UConn could get lucky like AD lucky and get an invite to the B!G. That would certainly be a kick in the *ss to Cuse and Pitt. Man, I wish those schools held out a little longer.

Reaction Score
I like maniac's new alignment eastern and central. It's better than the ACC. Any real chance of that?

Reaction Score
Huskiemaniac's conference would be my first choice but OK, OSU and Mizzou won't be available.

Why do you say that? Do you think they are going to the Big 10?

If you are correct, the merger would need to do further poaching. How about this:

Eastern:

USF
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Rutgers
Connecticut
Memphis
UCF or Temple or Tulane (optional)

Central:

Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Tulsa
Houston or Tulane (optional)

Reaction Score
If there is a merger with the big 12, it will be under the B-12 umbrella and there will be no "non-football division." The model is unworkable and won't be duplicated. The only reason it might survive short term for theBig East is because it might be needed for stability...but again, it will be a short term alternative.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Mizzou got an invite to the SEC. The only reason they haven't accepted is because of the Baylor lawsuit threat. That threat disappears if the B12 breaks up because Texas can't make compromises. So Mizzou is a done deal. OU put the guantlet down and said to Texas gives us your network or we're leaving. Texas isn't giving up that network. It's a better deal than ND has and they will own the Texas market for recruiting with that network. So Texas is going ND's way as an independent. And OU and OSU aren't sticking around. They will approach the SEC who will take them in them in a heartbeat and then go to the PAC and force the PAC's hand. The PAC is where they want to end up.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If there is a merger with the big 12, it will be under the B-12 umbrella and there will be no "non-football division." The model is unworkable and won't be duplicated. The only reason it might survive short term for theBig East is because it might be needed for stability...but again, it will be a short term alternative.
I agree. Both conference may prefer to make it a transition merger if this is how things play out.

Reaction Score
I hadn't thought of a possible Miami death penalty. Could that result in an open spot?

Reaction Score

You misread what I wrote. There are two scenarios there. One where the Big East, in its current incarnation, pulls in new teams to replace the ones that left and I proposed possible replacements. The second one is a merger with the B12 teams where the non-football schools are not included and must form or join a new conference.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You misread what I wrote. There are two scenarios there. One where the Big East, in its current incarnation, pulls in new teams to replace the ones that left and I proposed possible replacements. The second one is a merger with the B12 teams where the non-football schools are not included and must form or join a new conference.
You've got to change your avatar. Every time I respond to you I have trouble taking you seriously.:)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You guys really don't want to admit we are screwed, do you?

The Big 12 is not expanding. They've got to keep teams, first, and if they do, they'll have revenue sharing. Bottom line: each Big 12 team is going to make enough money that it would make no financial sense to take in more teams, and if they did, it would NOT be UConn. It's a football conference first, and second, and third. Adding UConn brings them nothing.

The ACC is in no rush. They'd jump at Texas, but they're staying in the Big 12 with hat in hand after losing on multiple fronts. They're waiting for ND, and really, why is ND in any rush? There's no rush for them to change anything, at all. They won't take UConn and Rutgers as long as ND is an Independant, holding that dream open- even if ND is more likely to go to the B1G.

The B1G has no reason to expand at the moment. As long as UConn and Rutgers are available, they can make a run at the NY market. But the money now is better than it is for anyone else, by a mile & the ACC is in no rush to take UConn or Rutgers, so there's no reason to take them and cut off the ACC.

At this moment, there is nowhere to go.

Nowhere.

But that can change. It had better. For UConn's sake. Or (long-term) they are going to get absolutely run over by SU and Pitt in revenues, in TV coverage, and in recruiting. They are trapped in a system where Washington State University will make 4x the revenue they do, for no effort at being successful in any sport.

Reaction Score
^ Word.

But if had told me we would WIN the NC last year and this year we would add AD and DD to RB I would have told you to send me a pound of whatever u were smoking.

Point is- we have no clue what is going to happen.

Reaction Score
It just seems that the only good option at the moment is to join ACC along with the Cuse and Pitt, but it seems the ACC prefers at least two other programs before they would consider UConn.

The next option would be for the BE to replace SU & Pitt, but are there any equivalent FB programs out there? IMO, we would be okay regardless if their replacements are not very good in hoops, as much as I'm much more a hoops fan that pigskin fan. TCU is obviously a FB upgrade over those two programs, at least based on recent success. Seems this would be option #2 and IMO, not necessary quite fitting the "good option" category. What good FB programs are out there to be added? Any suggestions? I heard someone say Army, but really!!!! ND becoming a full member would help, but that's not going to happen. If they join somewhere for all their sports it will likely be the ACC or the B-10 (if they offer it to them) and they even decide to relinquish their FB independence. I can't help but wonder what Nova is thinking, since they have wrestled with going big time FB but have not been able to pull the trigger. I wonder if the BE keeps the ramaining FB schools, if Nova will quickly move to D1 FB. I've not heard much if anything about them considering that lately.

The third might have been for the BE FB schools breaking from the rest of the BE and combining with the Big-12 in some East - Midwest divisional breakdown, but I think the latest word is the PAC-10 and Big-12 are stepping back from much of this expansion talk.
Well you hit on the options. On Villanova, they pulled the trigger and decided to go D1 and the BE said not so fast.I have no idea if Nova is reconsidering their decision due to recent events. The one that appeals to me the least is the Big12 option. These schools are just too far away and I feel the same way about TCU.

Reaction Score
There isn't any conference (but the Big12) that will accept Texas' LHC. So I do not think that they are in the mix with either the Pac10 or the ACC.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
The two jewels everyone is looking at are Texas & ND. Neither of which is anxious to give up their revenue.

The PAC12 has passed on Texas, for now, due to the revenue issue. The SEC & B10G have too much pride & no reason to give such large concession to TX & ND.

The ACC would be foolish to give ND their football independence.

ACC has shaken things up for ND - taking Pitt & Cuse. If they pull UConn in, then they put ND on the spot.... but ND would have to decide on working with the hoop-onlies in the BE, ACC or B10G.

If I was Missouri I would hightail it to the SEC with aTm - there is no need to be a pawn in Texahoma's game.

Texas has no other options - figure out how to keep Oklahoma & invite a few teams - Houston (A&M's backyard), BYU, L'ville, WVU.

The B10G is very quiet. When do they act. Or do they have everyone else go to 16 teams and split there share 12 ways, while Michigan & Ohio State take turns going to BCS games.

Who will blink & when.

Reaction Score
^ Word.

But if you had told me we would WIN the NC last year and this year we would add AD and DD to RB I would have told you to send me a pound of whatever u were smoking.

Point is- we have no clue what is going to happen.

Reaction Score

If you are correct, the merger would need to do further poaching. How about this:

Eastern:

USF
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Rutgers
Connecticut
Memphis
UCF or Temple or Tulane (optional)

Central:

Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Tulsa
Houston or Tulane (optional)

What if anything in the about the above breakdown looks good to you? FB wise, none of those programs look like national contenders or even regular top 10 programs. It's a collection of middle to bottom major conference fodder, IMO. WVU every once in a while is very good. The rest of that Eastern group looks weak. As for the Central, TCU is in the midst of a nice run, but how often will it be that way for them. None of the others instill much fear.

At least the ACC has some programs that have had some top 10 and even NC history, though some of them need to clean up their act and get back on track. Granted, if a few of those top tier ACC schools get pillaged, the conference could end up not that much better than what the Big East looks like now. IMO, the ACC gives UConn the best combination of FB and BB competition and would be the most stable, as stable can be these days. As someone pointed out, bolstering the BE or some sort of BE-B12 merger would likely get blown up sooner than later.

Some seem to still mention the Big-10. IMO, that would be a disaster for UConn. First off, we'd get our asses kicked in FB by most of that conference and all of our games would be geographically problematic. Most of the game times would be central time and would s*ck. Recruiting would also s*ck with east coast talent not wanting to play most of their away games in the mid-west. I don't see why the B-10 would even want us. That one simply doesn't make sense and I'll be shocked if it even gets any momentum.

When you look at it, the ACC would provide solid competition for both sports against programs in the same time zone. I don't agree with what Arnie said about some of the ACC hoops programs (There are three god-awful basketball programs (Wake, GT, and NCS) that are spiraling downward. You probably can add BCU to the list in basketball as they are probably the fourth best basketball school in the Boston area.) WF and GT are usually very good programs. We won our 2nd NC against GT back in 2004. Wake has often been one of the ACC's top programs behind Dook & UNC. They're both struggling now, but I expect them to land back on their feet sooner than later. NCSU does struggle often having to compete with 3 top programs in their own state. BCU has not been good recently, but they're often a top 25 team and expect them to get back on track, especially if they were to be playing the likes of SU, Pitt & UConn again on a regular basis.

I wish we weren't talking about this with hoops just around the corner. Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom