At the End of the Day, They're Still Kids | The Boneyard

At the End of the Day, They're Still Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not trying to be 'that guy' who tries to take the moral high road or anything, and I completely and totally understand getting angry and criticizing the team, but I was walking to the field house today to get my ticket for the hockey game and saw Rodney Purvis walk past me eating a bag of Cheetos. I gave him a smile and he nodded back, looking kind of worn. The guy's just a kid, and even when it's frustrating, everyone's got to remember that about him and the rest of the team. They're trying their best and it's just not working out right now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Take your orange wedge sensibilities and shove em....well you know.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Oh great another "perspective" thread.

I think we're all well aware were on a college basketball message board and not discussing life and death.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Cheetos sets the wrong tone.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nice post. I think that however toxic it may seem here with regards to how the players are discussed and critiqued post-awful blowout loss, almost all of us do come to terms with this and acknowledge it once the hysteria subsides. There's always going to be two or three people whose heads this will go right over, but that can't be helped.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Well, this is the first useful post in days. After much speculating and hand wringing on the yard we have found the culprit for this seasons dive. It aint KO, or Gibbs or Hamilton or Brimah........its........................................... Cheetos.

I am not kidding. That stuff is terrible for you and obviously eating through the minds and hearts of our team is a systematic way.
This stuff can bee set on fire and used as a blow torch (Im not kidding). Do you think it is a good idea that it is part of the diet of Elite division 1 athletes? Its not. It explains everything, and Im calling for a petition to get KO to ban Cheetos from his players diets. I can't believe our season was derailed by a snack food.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Nice post. I think that however toxic it may seem here with regards to how the players are discussed and critiqued post-awful blowout loss, almost all of us do come to terms with this and acknowledge it once the hysteria subsides. There's always going to be two or three people whose heads this will go right over, but that can't be helped.

Totally. I mean, I've been there. Lord knows I've sat in the stands at the Rent cursing Boyle. We all do it. Was just one of thost moments where I'd been watching last night and all pissed, reading the BY and everyone else being pissed, and then I see the dude just walking by. It's too easy to forget that athletes are human and that particular moment was just striking to me

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Totally. I mean, I've been there. Lord knows I've sat in the stands at the Rent cursing Boyle. We all do it. Was just one of thost moments where I'd been watching last night and all pissed, reading the BY and everyone else being pissed, and then I see the dude just walking by. It's too easy to forget that athletes are human and that particular moment was just striking to me

And it's never a bad time to remind people of that, even if the grumpies don't like it.

Reaction Score
There are a few different types of criticism that can be leveled at players:

1) Physical/skill limitations
2) Mental (toughness/intelligence) limitations
3) Personal

I think nobody quibbles with people talking about #1. The difficulty is drawing the line between #2 and #3. #3 is off-limits, unless there are actual off-court issues.

But sometimes, talk of Purvis having a low basketball IQ or Brimah being soft, which fall in the #2 category, can sometimes in reality or in perception spill over to #3.

They are great kids, great ambassadors of our program, and a good locker-room presence -- I have nothing but good things to say about them personally -- but we can still speak bluntly about their on-court limitations (including in terms of intelligence or toughness).

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Cheetos...shades of Napier's unfortunate pre-game dining experience at 7-11 prior to the Temple game in Philadelphia...bad chicken wings.

We still won the game because that was a great team, and Napier played through his gastrointestinal distress to post respectable, even though un-Napier-like numbers.

Reaction Score
Cheetos are just a couple of chemical molocules removed from Styrofoam packing peanuts

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Cheetos are just a couple of chemical molocules removed from Styrofoam packing peanuts
So you are saying that they are a good source of fiber?

Reaction Score
Just saw him and Nolan at the packy. Hopefully drinking away the pain of that loss and moving past it to make a little run these next few weeks. I'm still somehow, someway a bit optimistic.

Reaction Score
Kids - that have chosen a very competitive discipline at a very competitive locale.

Reaction Score
Oh great another "perspective" thread.

I think we're all well aware were on a college basketball message board and not discussing life and death.

That's obviously not the case.

More level-headed threads is only a good thing.

Reaction Score
Well if he keep eating Cheetos he'll have to take the elevator.

But your are right. In the end the are kids. Kids who are playing big time college basketball and right or wrong this is only the beginning of them being critique.

Reaction Score
Cheetos

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 21 pieces (28.0 g)
Amount Per Serving % Daily Values
Calories 150
Calories from Fat 90
Total Fat 10.0g
15%
Saturated Fat 1.5g
7%
Trans Fat 0.0g