OT - Asus touchpad gestures stopped working | The Boneyard

OT - Asus touchpad gestures stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since there are plenty of people chiming in about the new laptop thread I thought I'd pick your brains some more.

I have an Asus Zenbook UX32 laptop running windows 7, and it still runs like a champ after ~4 years, but the touchpad recently started giving me issues. It scrolls, clicks, and all that just fine, but the swipe/scroll gestures stopped working recently.

Windows tricked me into upgrading to windows 10 recently, and I immediately switched back because that made my touchpad stop working completely. Everything was fine for a few days then the gestures stopped working. Been doing all kinds of searching and everyone seems to think there's an issues with the SmartGesture application, and i need to uninstall and reinstall the newest driver for that and ATK. Only problem is any time I try and uninstall or repair the application I get this message:

upload_2016-7-17_9-38-50.png

Only problem is there is not removable disk...at least that i know of. I tried looking for the source, and came up empty ("SetupTPDriver", which is an installation package - .msi). Just for kicks I downloaded the newer SmartGesture version (even though i can't install with an older version present), and it has that SetupTPDriver file. Doesn't make sense to me that file wouldn't exist on my drive already since I obviously have a version of SmartGesture installed...Any thoughts or other solutions?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Firstly, try an uninstaller program like Revo Uninstaller (free version). Download here, install it, and then find the Gesture application. Run the program to see if it blows through it.

Or try updating to the latest drivers directly for that touchpad.
  1. Download the latest ones from the manufacturers website
  2. uninstall all the current associated drivers
  3. restart your computer
  4. reinstall the new drivers from the files you downloaded
  5. Plenty of step by step instructions available on the internet
  6. I'd suggest having a USB mouse available and installed prior to doing all this, in case the functionality of the touchpad does not work during the process
If the gestures still don't work, you might want to check all the associated touchpad services to make sure they are running.
  1. Click Start menu
  2. Click Run
  3. In the 'Open' field, type services.msc and then click OK.
  4. The Services Console pops up, listing all services that are installed on the computer.
  5. Find those services in the list to see if they are enabled.
    • Do a google search to see exactly what services are related to the touchpad.
  6. If they are not, enable them
    • Either double click or right click and hit properties to see the dialogue for each service -- i don't recall exactly

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
EDIT: hold on with the above, I just finished reading your message and jumped the gun. LOL sorry. Let me look again.

OK:
  • Uninstall the newer version and restart your computer. Your just clogging things up atm.
  • 1st thing to try is uninstalling the old version from the Windows installer directly in the control panel.
  • If that doesn't work, search on the internet for the exact same version of the program you have. Install that one over the top of the other. Restart your computer.
  • Try uninstalling again from there, as the MSI file should be in the proper place.
  • Then reinstall the latest version and restart

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member