ASU ranked 18! | The Boneyard

ASU ranked 18!

Reaction Score
I realize everyone has seen this but as an ASU fan indulge me while I put it in print.

Of course I have a number of questions. Has there ever been a case where a team unranked re-entered the rankings as high as 18th if so who and when.

What does this actually say? This is rhetorical of course and I suspect the answer is somewhere in between all these questions.

1. Did ASU improve that much in one week?

2. Were the teams ahead of ASU that overrated or over ranked or did they all fall apart?

3.is it possible to people doing the rankings are having trouble with focus after they get beyond the top 10?

4.Should the criteria that the voters use to rank these teams be reconsidered? As previously indicated in preseason and the first week of the year ASU was ranked.

5.. The bolded sentence below is true. Or is there any disagreement about it?

"Arizona State had one of the greatest weekends in Division I history, knocking off then-No. 2 Oregon on Friday and No. 3 Oregon State on Sunday. It's the first time a team has beaten two AP top-five teams in back-to-back games during the regular season since 2010, when Stanford topped No. 4 Xavier and No. 1 UConn.

"We have a lot of great teams, including us, in our conference," Arizona State coach Charli Turner Thorne said. "Clearly, we were young and injured early, but we've gotten healthy."

The Sun Devils vaulted into the Top 25 this week at No. 18."

Reaction Score
The rugged defense that ASU plays will keep it in games in which its offense is struggling. I can also picture ASU's relentless physicality on both sides of the ball not playing as well on the road in the PAC-12 and potentially costing the Sun Devils a few games when a closer game is called by the officials.

ASU screens as often as any team in the conference and may find itself getting more than its share of moving screens called as the officials watch more closely how ASU shooters are getting open. I was surprised at how many Oregon and OSU players were getting hung up or even hitting the ground in Tempe trying to get around and above screens against ASU on Friday and Sunday until I watched the ASU screening in slow motion via DVR replays.

I enjoyed the screens on Friday in ASU's win against Oregon. Not so much on Sunday as OSU was chasing ASU players over screens. Credit CTT for how she gets her players to play so hard and aggressively, as well as for embracing the two-platoon system as a means to ASU's success. It clearly is working for ASU and appears to be well-suited to its personnel.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom