ASU at Washington

Who wins in Seattle?

• ASU

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Washington

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
6 hours till tip. Not sure if Shades was going to post a poll to this important game.

Reaction Score

The Huskies know they have a challenge ahead, but they also see it as an opportunity.
“This is a very big weekend for us,” Melgoza said.

Notes

• Husky great Kelsey Plum, the NCAA career scoring leader, will be the color commentator on the Pac-12 Networks broadcast of Friday night’s game against Arizona State. “It’s fantastic to be able to have her call the game as a Husky and a legend of our game,” Wynn said of Plum, who plays for Las Vegas in the WNBA. “It will be great for our fans to see her again at Alaska Airlines Arena and doing something that she hasn’t done before. This could be a career for her long after her playing days are over.”
  • UW has not played ASU at home in three years as last year’s game in Seattle was canceled because of snow. Plum led the Huskies to a 70-57 win over ASU in 2017, scoring a game-high 19 points.

The cancellation last year was not without controversy. Due to an approaching snowstorm UW unilaterially cancelled the game without consulting ASU. ASU argued that this should have been a forfeit.

There was a strong possibility that the Devils would have won this game and the failure to play (and likely win) impacted the Devils seeding in both the Pac12 Tournament and the Big Dance.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UW might keep it close, but I have a hard time seeing them win. ASU can make good offenses look bad, and UW is offensively challenged. Unless the Devils are ice cold shooting and have a ton of TOs, I just don't see the home team prevailing.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The cancellation last year was not without controversy. Due to an approaching snowstorm UW unilaterially cancelled the game without consulting ASU. ASU argued that this should have been a forfeit.

There was a strong possibility that the Devils would have won this game and the failure to play (and likely win) impacted the Devils seeding in both the Pac12 Tournament and the Big Dance.
I didn't realize there was controversy around last year's cancellation. But it's hard to argue this impacted ASU's postseason seedings. They finished 10-7 in conference, one and a half games behind the next-highest team, UCLA, at 12-6. And as for the NCAA tournament, winning a game against a sub-100 team does nothing for the resume.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
15-7 ASU after Q1. Can the Huskies get to 40?

Reaction Score
Great defense + Ja'Tavia= ASU (15-7 lead at end of 1st quarter)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I listened for a couple minutes. Plum sounds like a natural, no first game jitters for her.

Reaction Score
Defense + Ja'Tavia Tapley = ASU ahead at the half by 12

Leading rebounder at the half for both teams with 5 boards - 5 ft 7 ASU guard Kiki Russell

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ASU scored the first 5 of Q3, but UW now on a 8-0 run. Game isn't quite over yet.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
43-31 ASU. Melgoza and Henson have combined for 21 of the Dawgs' points.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UW was +1 in Q3. 48-37. Looks like they will break 40. At least they aren't get embarrassed, but they aren't really a come from behind team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Washington with a veritable offensive explosion in 3Q, more than doubling their point total.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Hmmm, I wonder what Charli was giving Jody Wynn an earful about at the handshake. Couldn't tell if it was confrontational or friendly...

Reaction Score
Great defensive effort by the Devils

Tapley filled up stat sheet.

In a taped interview Tapley indicated she finished her Communications Degree at USC in 3 years.

Kiki Russell lead ASU rebounders with 7.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hmmm, I wonder what Charli was giving Jody Wynn an earful about at the handshake. Couldn't tell if it was confrontational or friendly...

Hmm, I'll have to look for that. Charli better not have the audacity to criticize anyone else for physical play. Her teams have been pushing the limits for years. If it was off the record Coach Rueck would have plenty to say about that.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Hmm, I'll have to look for that. Charli better not have the audacity to criticize anyone else for physical play. Her teams have been pushing the limits for years. If it was off the record Coach Rueck would have plenty to say about that.
Maybe about the fact that UW was pressing when they were down 15 points with 30 seconds left?

Or maybe about last year's "unilateral cancellation"?

Reaction Score
Post game interview with CTT:

Flu running through the team. Coach concerned with WSU transition game on Sunday. She had praise for Huskies and Jody Wynn.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Post game interview with CTT:

Flu running through the team. Coach concerned with WSU transition game on Sunday. She had praise for Huskies and Jody Wynn.
Was this on the radio or on TV?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Or maybe about last year's "unilateral cancellation"?

Is that really a big deal? Like you pointed out 1 more win would not have effected their finish in the conference standings.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Is that really a big deal? Like you pointed out 1 more win would not have effected their finish in the conference standings.
Ha just wondering out loud :cool:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well it's intriguing, but it's probably one of those things we won't ever find out the juicy details about.

Reaction Score
Was this on the radio or on TV?
Radio...tunein. I listen to the radio broadcast with Jeff Munn while watching.

Each Friday at half-time they play a short interview with one of the players recorded earlier in the week.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I recorded a replay from the wee hours of the morning and eventually got around to watching it. The biggest key to the game was ASU had Tapley and UW didn't. She just controlled the game throughout. USC really wasted her talents for 3 years. Ruden did some damage too. ASU's Sr. guards were quiet until the 4th quarter, then they hit some big shots to build their lead back up after it got down to 8.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom