Assistant Coach impersonates JV player SMH | The Boneyard

Assistant Coach impersonates JV player SMH

Reaction Score
What I find interesting is the player being impersonated missed the game because she was playing in a club basketball tournament. In comments online people are saying the HS team only had 5 players available with the player missing.

I thought in most states you were not allowed to play for your club team during the High School season for that sport. Anyone know the rules for Virginia?

Reaction Score
Yes and no from my perspective. The coach pretended to be their daughter so they could play. Also, it ends the high school season for the team and leaves a bad impression about team sports for their daughter. How is it that they aren't entitled to an apology?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What I find interesting is the player being impersonated missed the game because she was playing in a club basketball tournament. In comments online people are saying the HS team only had 5 players available with the player missing.

I thought in most states you were not allowed to play for your club team during the High School season for that sport. Anyone know the rules for Virginia?

The teenage player for Churchland High School's junior varsity team was out of town playing in a club basketball tournament when Arlisha Boykins, 22, pretended to be her at a game on January 21, according to the parents of the 13-year-old girl, per WAVY-10.

Yea, that was my first thought after reading the above from the article. I know in MA it's a few games suspension for doing something like that.

Personally I think the girl owes her team an apology for not being not being there for them.

Oops, found something, from the Virginia High School League Eligibility Rules

28-6-1 Independent Team Rule – Student responsibility for sports participation. During the sports season for the relevant sports, a student may, while a member of a school squad or team engaged in interscholastic sports become a member of or participate with an organized team in the same sport which is independent of the school’s control so long as such participation does not conflict with the scheduled activities of the school squad or team.

Reaction Score
Yes and no from my perspective. The coach pretended to be their daughter so they could play. Also, it ends the high school season for the team and leaves a bad impression about team sports for their daughter. How is it that they aren't entitled to an apology?
The season only had about 8 days and 3 games left, and as I said in a post above, the player chose to play a club game over a High School game. Maybe she owes her team for leaving them with just 5 players for a game?

There is more to this story. In some states the player would have been ineligible to play for her HS team after playing in a club game once her HS team started practicing. The penalty likely would be her team having to forfeit every game she played in after she played a game for her club team.

Also, her dad is quoted as saying his daughter no longer wants to play at that high school. Virginia's transfer rule is you need to sit out 365 days. Is dad angling for an exception to the transfer rule?

@meyers7 what you quoted says it is ok as long as it does not conflict with the HS team's scheduled activities, and it obviously did.

Reaction Score

So, there are two box scores with this girls name playing both games at same time? :rolleyes:

What's also surprising to me, no one on other team knew who the coaches and assistant coaches of the team they were playing to bring this up to the refs?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The coach of the JV team should have gotten the boot too, or was this assistant coach the coach of the JV team? If the varsity coach knew and didn't stop it boot her/him as well. I think all the JV players and parents needed an apology. The father of the JV no show which precipitated this fiasco did over due his sense of aggrievement.

Reaction Score
The season only had about 8 days and 3 games left, and as I said in a post above, the player chose to play a club game over a High School game. Maybe she owes her team for leaving them with just 5 players for a game?

There is more to this story. In some states the player would have been ineligible to play for her HS team after playing in a club game once her HS team started practicing. The penalty likely would be her team having to forfeit every game she played in after she played a game for her club team.

Also, her dad is quoted as saying his daughter no longer wants to play at that high school. Virginia's transfer rule is you need to sit out 365 days. Is dad angling for an exception to the transfer rule?

@meyers7 what you quoted says it is ok as long as it does not conflict with the HS team's scheduled activities, and it obviously did.
Still believe an apology is required from the coaches. Maybe not to the player directly, however it was poor example of leadership regardless of the situation. You're correct she's not entirely blameless, however the issue of AAU events conflicting with high school teams is a debate for a different thread.
The coach of the JV team should have gotten the boot too, or was this assistant coach the coach of the JV team? If the varsity coach knew and didn't stop it boot her/him as well. I think all the JV players and parents needed an apology. The father of the JV no show which precipitated this fiasco did over due his sense of aggrievement.
I believe both coaches were fired. Not just the assistant.

Reaction Score
Because we all know winning at the JV level is the extremely important in the development of these players. Good grief.

Reaction Score
Just wondering the thought process of the coaching staff, the scorebook keeper, and the players. Like, somebody was going to figure things out.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
woulda be a lot better if coaches agreed to play a scrimmage if one team didn't have enough players. that would give to kids the opportunity to play against another team, getting exercise, experience and hopefully some fun that afternoon (or evening). the team would get a loss in the scorebook, but everybody might get the idea that playing a sport should be for the joy of it, not simply to boost egos. and their parents or other fans would get to see a game and a demonstration of fair play.

what a silly thought. ... the powers that be -- allegedly adults -- would never allow such a reasonable thing to happen. precedent must rule.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
200 (2).gif

They were talking about this on National Sports Radio

Reaction Score
How in the world could this happen with players, parents, staff people, the janitor, etc. knowing it was an impersonation and no clear thinking person putting a stop to it?

Reaction Score
shining illustration of everything that is wrong with youth sports these days. Adults are at the root of it. Parents chasing the dream. Has-beens/never-wases who maybe played D1 or minor pro feed into it because they figured out that they can make a living running club teams or camps or evaluation services.

If the coaches involved (maybe the JV coach did it on her own) were mature adults instead of morons, they should have done what an earlier poster suggested and just played a scrimmage.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I just can't. Playing was bad enough, but then "flexing" on 12-year-olds? Bye, Felicia.
Well maybe she was trying to correctly imitate the player??? :cool:

Oh and JV is 14/15/16 year olds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom