Asia Durr Open Court skills | The Boneyard

Asia Durr Open Court skills

Reaction Score
Need a lot of work and she is going to get eaten up in the WNBA. Just watched the Sweet 16 Lville Or State game. Asia was awful in the open court. Threw passes away under minimal duress and high dribbled it on a break and just looked out of control. She does not have it. With all the work and how good she is shooting and other areas she just doesn't have instincts for handling the ball in the open court. She panics.

Reaction Score
Need a lot of work and she is going to get eaten up in the WNBA. Just watched the Sweet 16 Lville Or State game. Asia was awful in the open court. Threw passes away under minimal duress and high dribbled it on a break and just looked out of control. She does not have it. With all the work and how good she is shooting and other areas she just doesn't have instincts for handling the ball in the open court. She panics.
Oh BS. One game doesn't mean anything. I will argue that she is a more capable player than Ariel Atkins. They are both lefties, but Asia is a slightly better player.
Asia can create shots one-on-one, which will available in the W. She is a way better offensive prospect than Nurse or Williams.
Every player gets panicked and rushed, look at Stewie today.

Reaction Score
Oh BS. One game doesn't mean anything. I will argue that she is a more capable player than Ariel Atkins. They are both lefties, but Asia is a slightly better player.
Asia can create shots one-on-one, which will available in the W. She is a way better offensive prospect than Nurse or Williams.
Every player gets panicked and rushed, look at Stewie today.
Im not a UConn fan. I’ve watched 80% her games for 3 years. Of course Asia can create shots one on one and is a MUCH better offensive prospect than Nurse and Williams. That is not the issue. Asia’s weakness - handling the ball in the open court and slow with ball. Asia is a better college player than Atkins was but won’t be as good as Atkins in the pros. Atkins is an athlete who plays basketball and trending up. Asia is a terrific basketball player but her game has peaked and won’t translate into the W at the same level like ALL the experts predict. I see Asia’s pro impact like its gone for Walker-Kimbrough and KML - great college players but low impact in W.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Im not a UConn fan. I’ve watched 80% her games for 3 years. Of course Asia can create shots one on one and is a MUCH better offensive prospect than Nurse and Williams. That is not the issue. Asia’s weakness - handling the ball in the open court with a good defender. Backcourt, midcourt or on breaks. She’ll get that every night in the WNBA. Asia is a better college player than Atkins was but won’t be as good as Atkins in the pros. Atkins is an athlete who plays basketball and trending up. Asia is a terrific basketball player but her game won’t translate into the W at the same level like ALL the experts predict. More like how it’s gone for Walker-Kimbrough and KML

That’s what I think too...she has good size and is a great scorer but hasn’t shown other skills necessary to be a starter in the W. Seems much more subdued unless the ball is in her hands or she’s coming off a play set for her. Needs to show she can get others involved, direct the offense when needed and do more besides just score.

Atkins in the pros has been special—she’s a different player than Durr. Much higher energy and does so many little things. You’ll watch and Atkins seemingly comes out of nowhere to make a great play. Similar to Catchings in that regard. I’d love to see Atkins take on a bigger role next year as a scorer, I think she can definitely average 15-20 ppg with her ability. Aston really should have make Ariel the top option the past couple of years at Texas....Washington got a steal at 7.

Reaction Score
That’s what I think too...she has good size and is a great scorer but hasn’t shown other skills necessary to be a starter in the W. Seems much more subdued unless the ball is in her hands or she’s coming off a play set for her. Needs to show she can get others involved, direct the offense when needed and do more besides just score.

Atkins in the pros has been special—she’s a different player than Durr. Much higher energy and does so many little things. You’ll watch and Atkins seemingly comes out of nowhere to make a great play. Similar to Catchings in that regard. I’d love to see Atkins take on a bigger role next year as a scorer, I think she can definitely average 15-20 ppg with her ability. Aston really should have make Ariel the top option the past couple of years at Texas....Washington got a steal at 7.
Makes me question Aston as a coach. She is recruiting gangbusters but the lack of development in Holmes killed that team from reaching their full potential last season. Then when you see Atkins bloom like she has in the pros what happened in college? Washington deserves tons of credit for grabbing Atkins. They saw how she fit their system and needed an ATHLETE who could help on both ends and had plenty of upside. Experts branded her a high 2nd rounder.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then when you see Atkins bloom like she has in the pros what happened in college?

Imani McGee-Stafford hasn’t exactly blossomed in the WNBA, so it could be an individual drive sort of thing. Atkins like Nurse also benefited by teammate injury giving her the opportunity to step up. Step up they did.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Makes me question Aston as a coach. She is recruiting gangbusters but the lack of development in Holmes killed that team from reaching their full potential last season. Then when you see Atkins bloom like she has in the pros what happened in college? Washington deserves tons of credit for grabbing Atkins. They saw how she fit their system and needed an ATHLETE who could help on both ends and had plenty of upside. Experts branded her a high 2nd rounder.

Agree in regards to Aston’s coaching. Holmes development last year is on Holmes though...she was suspended for half of the year and came back 2nd semester out of shape and never got up to speed.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Let’s not forget, too, that Atkins made All-WNBA defensive second team as a rookie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom