As David Boren moves on, a new frontier of college sports moves closer. | The Boneyard

As David Boren moves on, a new frontier of college sports moves closer.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I think this is pretty big news. The regulars over at the Oklahoma board were convinced that he was the one who wanted to keep OU and OSU together and with Boren retiring, it opens up to them leaving without OSU. There is a very respected poster over there that basically said he was told by people in the know that as soon as they are able, the Sooners are leaving the Big12 with or without OSU. Oklahoma seems that the tipping point for breaking the GoR is 2020 or 2021.

If that happens, all hell will truly break loose. Oklahoma seems to be crossing point on where teams will land. The Big12 teams will be scrambling for new homes and the leftovers will quickly need to fill the holes. I still hold a glimmer of hope that the Big10 goes to 20 (4 five team pods) and UConn is one of the six.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
My problem with the inevitable shakeup that is coming with the Big 12 is I don't know that it will ultimately wind up great for UConn. Although I do think if OU/TX leave the new XII will be 12 members. But what would that look like? I'm thinking it would be something along the lines of:

Iowa State
Kansas (?)
Kansas State
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Cincinnati
BYU
Houston

that leaves 1 spot for remaining teams. Would UConn fill that? SMU?

Lets say its a team like SMU that gets that last spot. That leaves UConn in a new AAC that would probably limit itself to 10 teams and look something like...

UConn
Temple
ECU
USF
UCF
Memphis
Tulane
Navy/Wichita State
UMass
Old Dominion

Not exactly ideal by any means.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The hope is that UConn would get into the ACC or Big Ten in the new round of expansion.

How we can get into the Big Ten:
-with Kansas
-with Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas

Getting into the Big Ten would be tough. If the PAC lands TX+TXAM+OU+OKST, then we could be the pair for Kansas, though that would mean the Big Ten taking two weak football programs. If the Big Ten lands its trifecta of TX+OU+KU, I think they woukd target Colorado for the 18th spot. If Colorado decides they'd rather stay in the PAC though, we are the only obvious candidate left for the last spot.

How we can get into the ACC:
-with Notre Dame
-with Notre Dame and two other teams (such as Temple and/or West Virginia and/or Cincinnati)

Without Texas and/or Oklahoma, the Big 12 would no longer be a power conference (and would probably cease to exist altogether as most of its teams get picked up by other leagues), thus leaving four power conferences. The playoff would (probably) then become the winner of each of the four, meaning Notre Dame would be forced to join a conference if they want to be eligible for the national championship. Due to their contract with the ACC, there is only one conference they're allowed to join. With 15 full members, the ACC would need another member and UConn would be a serious candidate (and probably the favorite) for the 16th spot. In the unlikely event they decide to expand to 18 to match the Big Ten, our chances of getting in are excellent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The hope is that UConn would get into the ACC or Big Ten in the new round of expansion.

How we can get into the Big Ten:
-with Kansas
-with Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas

Getting into the Big Ten would be tough. If the PAC lands TX+TXAM+OU+OKST, then we could be the pair for Kansas, though that would mean the Big Ten taking two weak football programs. If the Big Ten lands its trifecta of TX+OU+KU, I think they woukd target Colorado for the 18th spot. If Colorado decides they'd rather stay in the PAC though, we are the only obvious candidate left for the last spot.

How we can get into the ACC:
-with Notre Dame
-with Notre Dame and two other teams (such as Temple and/or West Virginia and/or Cincinnati)

Without Texas and/or Oklahoma, the Big 12 would no longer be a power conference (and would probably cease to exist altogether as most of its teams get picked up by other leagues), thus leaving four power conferences. The playoff would (probably) then become the winner of each of the four, meaning Notre Dame would be forced to join a conference if they want to be eligible for the national championship. Due to their contract with the ACC, there is only one conference they're allowed to join. With 15 full members, the ACC would need another member and UConn would be a serious candidate (and probably the favorite) for the 16th spot. In the unlikely event they decide to expand to 18 to match the Big Ten, our chances of getting in are excellent.
Why would TA&M leave the SEC for the Pac? Be leaving lots of money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom