As a New Campaign Dawns... | The Boneyard

As a New Campaign Dawns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No team can lose as much talent to graduation as UConn did without an anticipated drop off in performance. Our favorite team is not, and cannot be, immune to this reality. But, for this particular program, steeped as it is in winning tradition and superlative coaching, all that it boils down to is:

1. instead of entering a new season with a National Championship outcome in virtually no doubt whatsoever…
2. instead of anticipating not only an undefeated season, but one in which all wins will likely come by double digits…
3. instead of knowing, up front, that the vast majority of games will turn out to be early yawners…
4. we now “merely” expect Geno to field a team that will be solidly “in the mix” for yet another Final Four appearance. Not too shabby!

So the question, in my opinion, is whether an “in the mix” prediction for an additional Final Four appearance truly realistic? Personally, I like this team’s chances…a lot. There exist only three teams that might arguably have more preseason talent “on paper,” ND, SC, and Baylor. UConn is inarguably the best-coached of all four, a fact which is not only demonstrably indisputable, but which translates into one especially significant and annual reality: they dependably play the toughest team defense in the country.

People love offense more than defense, so questions regarding which players will step up and fill anticipated scoring deficits compared to previous years will always dominate pre-season discussions. I’m old-fashioned about this…I remain convinced that the number of points to which one’s opponent can be held is just as important as the number of points one scores. Couple that perennial defensive toughness with the relentlessly up-tempo transition game for which Geno-coached teams are justifiably famous and…well, as I said, I’m pretty comfortable with this team’s chances! Will they lose a game here and there (horror of horrors!)? I imagine so. Will they get better and better, tougher and tougher as the season progresses? Count on it!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No team can lose as much talent to graduation as UConn did without an anticipated drop off in performance. Our favorite team is not, and cannot be, immune to this reality. But, for this particular program, steeped as it is in winning tradition and superlative coaching, all that it boils down to is:

1. instead of entering a new season with a National Championship outcome in virtually no doubt whatsoever…
2. instead of anticipating not only an undefeated season, but one in which all wins will likely come by double digits…
3. instead of knowing, up front, that the vast majority of games will turn out to be early yawners…
4. we now “merely” expect Geno to field a team that will be solidly “in the mix” for yet another Final Four appearance. Not too shabby!

So the question, in my opinion, is whether an “in the mix” prediction for an additional Final Four appearance truly realistic? Personally, I like this team’s chances…a lot. There exist only three teams that might arguably have more preseason talent “on paper,” ND, SC, and Baylor. UConn is inarguably the best-coached of all four, a fact which is not only demonstrably indisputable, but which translates into one especially significant and annual reality: they dependably play the toughest team defense in the country.

People love offense more than defense, so questions regarding which players will step up and fill anticipated scoring deficits compared to previous years will always dominate pre-season discussions. I’m old-fashioned about this…I remain convinced that the number of points to which one’s opponent can be held is just as important as the number of points one scores.

Couple that perennial defensive toughness with the relentlessly up-tempo transition game for which Geno-coached teams are justifiably famous and…well, as I said, I’m pretty comfortable with this team’s chances! Will they lose a game here and there (horror of horrors!)? I imagine so. Will they get better and better, tougher and tougher as the season progresses? Count on it!

BP, you touched on a dynamic that is usually over looked by many basketball aficionados, to wit: "The number of points to which one’s opponent can be held to, is just as important as the number of points one scores". People (even UConn fans) tend to overlook or dismiss this very important dynamic. Last year, UConn's opponent's inability to score points contributed greatly to their large margins of victory.

Only 5 times in 38 games last year did their opponents break 60 points.
UConn's defense will be the difference in some meaningful (they're all meaningful, some more than others) games this year. I think their defense will be closer to where it was last year than their offense will be. It's my personal belief that defense always travels well. On nights when the rim is a little tight, or you just can't get that jumper to fall, a good tight stingy non relenting 40 minute defensive effort will save the day. I'd be OK if I'm wrong about my skepticism of the offense not being close to last year's.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While I agree defense is a key to both uconn's success and it's incredible consistency, one aspect of the three graduates that are not available this year was their defensive strength - the shortest one got DPOY, but Stewart and Tuck were huge parts of the defensive strength too. Stewart was the ultimate rim protector and Tuck was the best undersized center I have seen in a long time defensively with the ability to switch from guarding the wing to banging against bruisers in the post seamlessly. All three will be hard to replace on the defensive end just as much as they will be missed for their offensive prowess. I suspect the scoring margins will be squeezed from both ends - fewer points scored and more given up.

(Stewart lead in points rebounds and blocks, Jefferson in assists and steals, add in Morgan and they were 1, 2 , and 3 in assists and points, #1 and 2 in rebounds/gm, #1 and 3 in steals.)

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Please catch me up...are both Azura and Batouly not eligible this season?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Please catch me up...are both Azura and Batouly not eligible this season?
You are right: Neither is eligible this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom