Article - The Mrs. Karaban Caravan, direct to Storrs. | The Boneyard

Article - The Mrs. Karaban Caravan, direct to Storrs.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Or, how Alex ended up in Storrs.

Mom wasn't convinced UConn was right for Alex. UConn "flexed" and had them see every academic building, met the VP (now president). He said it was the worst visit of his life, but proved to his mom that it was a good fit.

"Olga Karaban is originally from Ukraine, where family remembers remain in constant peril, surrounded by war. Alex's father, Alexi Karaban, is orginally from Belarus. Their son considered Northwestern, Notre Dame and several Ivy League schools that Olga was particularly fond of."

"Karaban is currently carrying a 3.5 GPA in UConn’s individualized major program, which combines three areas of study. Karaban is studying computer science, sports management and statistics."

Reaction Score
Love AK. That said...
Nerd Alert GIF

Reaction Score

Mom wasn't convinced UConn was right for Alex. UConn "flexed" and had them see every academic building, met the VP (now president). He said it was the worst visit of his life, but proved to his mom that it was a good fit.

"Olga Karaban is originally from Ukraine, where family remembers remain in constant peril, surrounded by war. Alex's father, Alexi Karaban, is orginally from Belarus. Their son considered Northwestern, Notre Dame and several Ivy League schools that Olga was particularly fond of."

"Karaban is currently carrying a 3.5 GPA in UConn’s individualized major program, which combines three areas of study. Karaban is studying computer science, sports management and statistics."

Did not know his parents were immigrants. He's one of my favorite players on this team and I'm so glad to have him for more years here.

Reaction Score

Love the total team effort. Might end up being one of our greatest recruits.

Reaction Score

V1NByByIuQuAg (1).gif

Reaction Score
As most of you know Alex lives about a mile from my house and my son played with him for a year. When he played his freshman year for our public high school I sat next to someone at one of the games who knows his parents and they told me that education was very important to them. So when I saw he got offers from places like Stanford, Northwestern and ND I thought he would have jumped at those offers. I wasn't sure he was good enough to play at UConn only because it's hard to project someone who you saw play since 4th grade, so I wasn't really worried about him not going to UConn. I was somewhat surprised when he did commit to UConn. So glad he did though! I have not seen his parents around (I did run into Alex in late August) but would love to talk to them about how the recruiting went. Maybe I'll go ring their doorbell and ask. :)

Reaction Score
AK's importance to this year's team cannot be overstated. He is the only starter without a true backup in the rotation, so him staying consistent and out of foul trouble is hugely important and he has shouldered that responsibility remarkably well. Add to that the ice water in his veins hitting those dagger 3's in huge situations (end of half, late in the shot clock, etc.) and his basketball IQ. He will be captain of this team soon enough and probably has a career in coaching at high levels ahead of him.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Tom Heinsoin. From Cent. Mass, Holy Cross, Celtics. Big Forward ,Great Shooter,Smart.

Reaction Score

My parents were from Ukraine also so I understand his moms push for education. My mom thought UCONN was just great but she wanted me to become a college professor- ha ha! My dad liked the fact that UCONN had a ROTC program. I disappointed them both because I left school after my freshman year and joined the Air Force. Only made it to sergeant far lower than general. But I was back in college 5 months after Vietnam. I did get to see games in the old field house.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom