Article on 'when not if' new NCAA women's TV deal | The Boneyard

Article on 'when not if' new NCAA women's TV deal

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

Todays' AP article by Joe Reedy summarizes the future dealings for our side of
The Dance. The 'when not if' quote comes from Rebecca Lobo.
The current deal expires after 2024. ESPN now pays 34 million to cover 29
NCAA women's sports. Projections show if women's hoops is dealt with on its own
it may lead to around 100 million...on its own. No mention of what would happen with the
other 28 women's sports.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There are schools where women's sports such as softball or gymnastics draw an audience. I am not sure if college level soccer or any other sport would demonstrate broad appeal sufficient to draw a TV audience. I wonder if the ESPN deal currently requires them to broadcast other sports on the distaff side.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I am guessing that it does...the question would be for most of those sports...how much?
Second guess: darn little.

Reaction Score

Todays' AP article by Joe Reedy summarizes the future dealings for our side of
The Dance. The 'when not if' quote comes from Rebecca Lobo.
The current deal expires after 2024. ESPN now pays 34 million to cover 29
NCAA women's sports. Projections show if women's hoops is dealt with on its own
it may lead to around 100 million...on its own. No mention of what would happen with the
other 28 women's sports.
Not talking about The Dance here, but . . .

I would love to see the accounting for the SEC contract with ESPN/ABC for televising wbb broken out. The money all seems to be paid through a single contract. Hence people say "wbb makes no money" for the SEC. That's just hogwash. ESPN, ESPN2 and the SEC Network show bunches of SEC wbb games; therefore filling oodles of TV hours. Those games have value to ESPN (and ABC occasionally). Therefore, they have value to the contract. That value is just never quantified. The ACC is in the same boat.

Big Ten wbb has a value to the Big Ten Network. It's just never quantified. The PAC Network is simply a mess. (Bye Larry Scott)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not talking about The Dance here, but . . .

I would love to see the accounting for the SEC contract with ESPN/ABC for televising wbb broken out. The money all seems to be paid through a single contract. Hence people say "wbb makes no money" for the SEC. That's just hogwash. ESPN, ESPN2 and the SEC Network show bunches of SEC wbb games; therefore filling oodles of TV hours. Those games have value to ESPN (and ABC occasionally). Therefore, they have value to the contract. That value is just never quantified. The ACC is in the same boat.

Big Ten wbb has a value to the Big Ten Network. It's just never quantified. The PAC Network is simply a mess. (Bye Larry Scott)
Lol, do you really believe that the SEC contract value is being appreciably driven by women’s basketball dollars? Heck, even SEC men’s basketball is only a small part of the value of that contract.

(No disrespect intended to game cock woman’s basketball. It has a great fanbase who turn out for home games.)

Reaction Score
Lol, do you really believe that the SEC contract value is being appreciably driven by women’s basketball dollars? Heck, even SEC men’s basketball is only a nominal part of that contract.
Driven by? No. Football is king.

Beneficial to? Yes.

Does ESPN lose money on wbb just to please the SEC? No. They make money from advertising during wbb games. They also have needed air filler. It has value to ESPN - we just never see accounting on that value . I would love to see how much an advertiser pays for space on a Tennessee vs South Carolina game.

CL82

Reaction Score
Driven by? No. Football is king.

Beneficial to? Yes.

Does ESPN lose money on wbb just to please the SEC? No. They make money from advertising during wbb games. They also have needed air filler. It has value to ESPN - we just never see accounting on that value . I would love to see how much an advertiser pays for space on a Tennessee vs South Carolina game.
Fair. I think the only way to find that out would be to unbundle the rights, which would not be beneficial to ESPN, or the SEC and therefore will likely not happen.

Reaction Score
Fair. I think the only way to find that out would be to unbundle the rights, which would not be beneficial to ESPN, or the SEC and therefore will likely not happen.
Sure, I’m being a bit unrealistic but schools (particularly in the SEC) need to acknowledge that wbb contributes to the value of the rights package and quit acting like wbb loses money for schools. ESPN pays for the whole package - not just football - and they pay because it makes them money.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure, I’m being a bit unrealistic but schools (particularly in the SEC) need to acknowledge that wbb contributes to the value of the rights package and quit acting like wbb loses money for schools. ESPN pays for the whole package - not just football - and they pay because it makes them money.
Yeah, but it pretty much is an expense rather than a revenue item for most programs. South Carolina is definitely one where it would generate revenue. How much are tickets to see the the women’s team at home?

Reaction Score
Yeah, but it pretty much is an expense rather than a revenue item for most programs. South Carolina is definitely one where it would generate revenue. How Redirect Notice are tickets to see the the women’s team at home?

Tickets are cheap. Going up a bit next year but a family can still easily afford to go to a game. Annual ticket sales might pay 1/2 of Dawn’s salary.

Yes. Wbb is not a moneymaker because the conferences don’t get paid directly for the tv rights. But, as I said, it has a tv rights value that the schools do get paid for as an unquantified part of their packages.

CL82

Reaction Score

Tickets are cheap. Going up a bit next year but a family can still easily afford to go to a game. Annual ticket sales might pay 1/2 of Dawn’s salary.

Yes. Wbb is not a moneymaker because the conferences don’t get paid directly for the tv rights. But, as I said, it has a tv rights value that the schools do get paid for as an unquantified part of their packages.
Wow 50 bucks for the season is incredibly inexpensive.

In any event I’m not sure that there is a lot of demand for woman’s basketball generally. For university of Connecticut women’s basketball, definitely, for South Carolina women’s basketball, sure, and maybe a few others, but I see an awful lot of games in empty arena‘s and that leads me to believe that there isn’t tremendous demand on TV either.

Reaction Score
You could be an advertiser and get a current rate card. The data is there. It’s just proprietary and often some accounts are offered lower rates than others in bundle proposals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom