Article on the 10 Best Players in the UConn / TN Rivalry...[Merged Thread] | The Boneyard

Article on the 10 Best Players in the UConn / TN Rivalry...[Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
6 are from UConn and 4 from TN. And of course, #1...

1579714124489.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ESPN.com

"Many of the most accomplished players in women's basketball history wore Tennessee orange or UConn blue. But not all of them got the chance to compete in the rivalry between the schools from 1995 to 2007. Those who did say there was nothing quite like it in their college or pro careers. With the series resuming for at least two more games starting Thursday in Hartford, Connecticut (7 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN App), we look back at the standouts from the 22 games between the Huskies and Lady Vols."

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geezus, ESPN is really trying to make hay out of this game.

Reaction Score
UConn Tennessee of course isn't a rivalry any longer

it is a series

and it isn't Pat Geno any longer.... but yes ESPN will try to maximize

Reaction Score
ESPN.com

"Many of the most accomplished players in women's basketball history wore Tennessee orange or UConn blue. But not all of them got the chance to compete in the rivalry between the schools from 1995 to 2007. Those who did say there was nothing quite like it in their college or pro careers. With the series resuming for at least two more games starting Thursday in Hartford, Connecticut (7 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN App), we look back at the standouts from the 22 games between the Huskies and Lady Vols."

This is the second time in two days you have posted something I had already posted.... STAY IN YOUR LANE! LOL

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
6 are from UConn and 4 from TN. And of course, #1...

View attachment 50151

Ahh the GOAT.

At the end of her UConn career in 2004 she left campus and went straight to a Team USA camp I believe (didn't "graduate" for several years I think but did eventually receive her degree). I really can't remember the details now.

She was so charismatic I wanted to create a tribute to her 4 years at UConn so I put this together. I wasn't doing video yet in 2004 so I used as slideshow tool I think it was based on flashplayer. Not long ago I found what I think is my last and only copy of it and I figured out a way to convert it to a standard video.

So here, for the first time in a very long time is Diana Taurasi "Simply The Best".

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Of course they are. They've been waiting a long time for this. Tennessee isn't close to what it used to be, but they're gonna try to build as much anticipation for the game as they possibly can. Can't really fault them for that.

Reaction Score
Enjoy!
Two of the top three - Sue & Chamique - are from Christ the King High School in Queens. My daughter - Chelsea - played with both of them and like Sue & Chamique, my daughter was Daily News 1st team All-City. CK won the NY State girls' Federation hoops' title every year they were there, during the 90s. While Sue and Chamique went to UConn & TN respectively, my daughter went Ivy League [Penn] with no intention of turning pro.
In 1996 - just before Sue and just after Chamique - my daughter's Christ the King HS team went 24-0 and finished #1 in the nation.

Reaction Score

Too bad Pat killed the golden goose … it was undoubtedly great for women's basketball Brought in the regular sportsfan who before then hadn't seen a WCBB game before....

Stopping the series was bad for the game and bad for both programs.... but time since has shown who has taken the incoming for this decision.....

An unusually unbiased article in Knoxville paper this weeks talks to this...

Tennessee boards this week look like they are holding their breath....

Hope the game is good..... and I hope ESPN does not attempt to drip it with nostalgia.... it is not pat and geno any longer

and it most certainly is not a rivalry.... because nothing is at stake any longer.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kind of sad how far removed from the rivalry we are now at 12 years. Those games were some of the best ever in WCBB. When Tennessee declined, Notre Dame took over as the preeminent rival for UCONN during the 2011 tournament and that would continue through the rest of the decade. Headed into this new decade, I'm curious as to who will step up as a strong rival for the Huskies assuming they stay a top 4-5 team looking ahead with all of their big name recruits on board. I dont think either ND or Tennessee is up to the task. Maybe Baylor? Time will tell.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Kind of sad how far removed from the rivalry we are now at 12 years. Those games were some of the best ever in WCBB. When Tennessee declined, Notre Dame took over as the preeminent rival for UCONN during the 2011 tournament and that would continue through the rest of the decade. Headed into this new decade, I'm curious as to who will step up as a strong rival for the Huskies assuming they stay a top 4-5 team looking ahead with all of their big name recruits on board. I dont think either ND or Tennessee is up to the task. Maybe Baylor? Time will tell.
I personally don't think there will be a single dominant team that wins 3 or 4 consecutive NCs as UConn has done. I do think, based on performance and recruiting trends, it will be dominance by (a small) committee -- I won't be surprised if the next 10 NCs are captured by 5 or fewer teams.

Reaction Score
South Carolina. Those Freshmen are studs

Reaction Score

bballnut90 I am with you with ur sentiments.... what made UConn Tenn great was that there was over the top emotion on part of the teams and fans.... PLUS bystanders who hadn't seen a womens ballgame became fans.... sorry it ever went away, though I cannot say I am excited about its return.... I expect ESPN and other conduits to be dripping with nostalgia about the resumption of the series..... when there is nothing at stake anymore like there was

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I nominate Aubrey to this list. :D

Semi serious. I do think without Aubrey, we could have very well lost this game and losing this game to the worst ranked TN team we ever faced at home would be unthinkable. We had no positive energy at all as shot after shot clanked off the rim

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom