Article on Maya Moore and her new Championship trophy | The Boneyard

Article on Maya Moore and her new Championship trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.wnba.com/lynx/news/moore_shanxi_title_2013_02_05.html

"For Moore, the WCBA championship is just another achievement in a long line of success for the 23-year old superstar. After winning the WNBA championship with the Lynx in 2011, Moore joined Ros Casares Valencia, winning both the Liga Femenina title in Spain and the EuroLeague Women championship. Last summer, Moore was also a part of the U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team, who won their fifth-consecutive Olympic gold medal.

When you consider her collegiate success, winning a pair of NCAA Championships in 2009 and 2010, and her other success internationally, winning the FIBA U19 World Championship in 2007 and FIBA World Championship in 2010, it’s easy to see why the Chinese nicknamed her the “Undefeated Queen” during her time in China this winter." - Alex King

Just WOW!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Great stuff - thanks for the link!

The "W" and the Minnesota papers do a nice job of covering Maya's exploits. It's the best of both worlds that she gets to make a ton o' cash and still have a long break before the season starts, unlike the Euro league players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great stuff - thanks for the link!

The "W" and the Minnesota papers do a nice job of covering Maya's exploits. It's the best of both worlds that she gets to make a ton o' cash and still have a long break before the season starts, unlike the Euro league players.
Not sure how the money compares between Europe and China - suspect it is less since there is just the league and not the league and the Euro-League - but the shorter season has to be a huge boon to the players. She gets almost three months off now (unless some European team brings her in for a late push!)

Reaction Score
First a high school superstar, then a collegiate superstar, followed by a national superstar. Now Maya is an international superstar. Only a matter time before she's regarded by many as the greatest women's basketball player ever, assuming she stays healthy and her success continues. I know those are "fighting words" to many of you out there but she's only 23 and her accomplishments at such a young age are rediculous. If she had Taurasi's swagger, many more would be on board. Maybe that's only a matter of time, too.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Not sure how the money compares between Europe and China - suspect it is less since there is just the league and not the league and the Euro-League - but the shorter season has to be a huge boon to the players. She gets almost three months off now (unless some European team brings her in for a late push!)

In Europe, the very top few (DT, CP3 etc.) get around $1M/season as of a year or two ago, IIRC. Not sure if that held up this year. But they are surely getting high 6 figures at least. Cambage was said to be making $400K for her stint in China this winter, and I have to believe Maya would have signed for a higher figure, especially with her Team Jordan status as an extra bit of sizzle in the dealmaking process, to say nothing of her much higher worldwide profile going in. Methinks Maya was probably high 6 figures this year (who knows). Next year with the incredible splash she made over there, she should be upping the ante a fair bit, I would think..........

Whatever she's getting, I'm all for it !

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I much prefer "invincible queen." That's what she is in my book...forevery. The book about her should have that title.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The IQ is increasing her basketball IQ and now has more hardware than Home Depot. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
High school then College then National and International superstar and then Super Nova.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Here's a quote from yesterday's Minneapolis Tribune's sports page, regarding Maya:

"Moore is making four, five times from Shanxi -- in the mid six figures, according to several sources -- what the Lynx pay her. And she has delivered."

- So it appears that she is about where we might have thought. Not at the Uber-level by any means, but still making a nice chunk of change and likely above Cambage's widely reported $400K figure for her China season. I'm quite sure that if she is back next year, Maya will be "Movin' on up!" as they say, from this year's dollar total.....:D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya is the only woman basketball player under Nike's Jordan brand. I'm guessing that means at least $1M per year. If Geno needs a loan, Maya could help out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom