Article in Philly.com by Mike Jensen speculating on future of BE | The Boneyard

Article in Philly.com by Mike Jensen speculating on future of BE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"The ink isn't wet yet on Temple's entrance papers to the Big East for football this fall and the rest of the sports in 2013, but let's cut to the chase: Is there a tipping point when Big East hoop schools such as Georgetown, Providence, and St. John's go their own way? Would that point be Louisville leaving? Louisville and Cincinnati?Louisville and Cincinnati plus Connecticut?

All this means that the Big East's future remains murky (and rickety), and tipping points for a breakup seem to lurk around every corner, even on a (shotgun) wedding day."

http://www.philly.com/philly/column...ig_East_realignment_will_face_challenges.html

Good to see that insiders still contemplate the loss of UConn. Jensen thinks in speaking with BE long-timers that Nova doesn't upgrade, but splits with Gtown, St. Johns, etc.

Of course, at the end of the day UConn still isn't in control of its destiny. But better to be thought of in a "what-if" scenario by supposed insiders as leaving, then reading the phrase "BE insiders are adamant that UConn will be in the BE for the forseeable future, and moreover, it is leading the charge to have each member grant its media rights for ten years."

This proof by absence along with Swofford's hedging at keeping at 14 is a cause for hope. http://ww2.ajcmobile.com/autojuice/...gia-tech/a-conversation-with-acc-1373711.html

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What a ridiculous quote:

Q: Do you expect conference alignments nationally to remain in fluxor to settle down for a period of time?

Swofford: I hope it will settle down for a while. I think the whole collegiate enterprise needs that. It's been kind of a traumatic time in recent years, and the effects have been nationwide. I've been in this business over 35 years, and I've never seen the sense of instability that was there a year to two years ago. There were things that happened –- and some things that almost happened but didn't -- that were somewhat unthinkable.

You have got to be kidding me. I know he has to talk like a politician but it's as if he was some innocent bystander in all of this. Unreal!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I think the general consensus is that we will, eventually, move. I just don't think it will be as fast as we all want. We might be on the Syracuse timetable for a move ie BE raided in 03 and Cuse figured they were in but had to wait another 9 years. We may have to wait another 5-7 years, that's my hunch anyway. Hope I'm wrong.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
As far as Comcast is concerend with ND: ND can book as many premier teams to home and home as they want. That's rare.

If they can book USC, Michigan (or State), Boston College, Ohio State, UCLA, Purdue (or Indiana), and Texas every year and Army and 4 BE teams a year they've got a full plate of premier games, classic rivals, or cross-promotion with the BE.

A one point ND was playing more marquee teams than the entire BE combined.

Simply saying they have options many teams don't. ND brings value to the table particularly in this new inbred era of 9-conferene games and buddy relationships with the BiG and PAC-12.

Independence is all relative. Sometimes it pays to hold your friends closer and schmooze them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It annoys me to read sports writers attempting to interpret realignment, because they do not understand the economic side of things at all. Article is pure filler on a day when the writer probably had nothing to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom