Article: Duke fighting declining student attendance | The Boneyard

Article: Duke fighting declining student attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
not surprising given the decreased attendance all over the country (the article talks about the men's games having a student section of 1,200 only filling with 5oo students now). but i thought this was interesting...

"Another part of the problem has been an underwhelming home schedule over the past several years due to a down ACC and marquee nonconference matchups moving to Madison Square Garden. Duke has played just three ranked nonconference teams in Cameron Indoor Stadium over the last four years, and only three ACC teams are currently placed in the Associated Press Top 25."

my recollection is that Duke won't do home and home games on another team's home court. maybe if they stopped being so stubborn they'd be able to do home/home series with more quality opponents.

UCONN women can't get everyone but aside from scairdy-cats tennessee, they've done home/homes with just about every other top team (Duke, UNC, Baylor, Stanford, and now Maryland) not to mention BE teams like ND, L'ville, RU, Georgetown, and Depaul who are often in the top 20 and sometimes top 10...

HGN

Reaction Score
not surprising given the decreased attendance all over the country (the article talks about the men's games having a student section of 1,200 only filling with 5oo students now). but i thought this was interesting...

"Another part of the problem has been an underwhelming home schedule over the past several years due to a down ACC and marquee nonconference matchups moving to Madison Square Garden. Duke has played just three ranked nonconference teams in Cameron Indoor Stadium over the last four years, and only three ACC teams are currently placed in the Associated Press Top 25."

my recollection is that Duke won't do home and home games on another team's home court. maybe if they stopped being so stubborn they'd be able to do home/home series with more quality opponents.

UCONN women can't get everyone but aside from scairdy-cats tennessee, they've done home/homes with just about every other top team (Duke, UNC, Baylor, Stanford, and now Maryland) not to mention BE teams like ND, L'ville, RU, Georgetown, and Depaul who are often in the top 20 and sometimes top 10...
In the past, Duke has been able to dictate the terms of a matchup. "Either come to Cameron Indoor , or no game. " But now its different. Duke is no longer large and in charge. Other teams have risen. Now its the other guys saying , "Either home-and-home , or no game".

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Duke should do their constituency a favor and stick marquee home and homes. With all due respect to Coach K and his program, and plenty of respect is due, when I think New York hoops, Duke basketball is the last thing that comes to mind.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't think that the schedule for Duke's men and UConn's women can - or should be - compared in this instance.

Just as UConn gets a lot of invites to play OOC games on Mondays later in the season it appears from the article that the men get a lot of invites to play at MSG in whatever fashion. Men's basketball and the revenue there-from is a different story than the women's game.

I think much more concerning - in general - is the indication that the ACC is slipping on the men's side. Even though I don't really follow men's basketball much, I know many of the ACC teams are quite storied. That is a shame.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The ACC has been soft in MBB for a while once you get past Duke and UNC. Adding Pitt and Cuse should help. Of course, adding a certain other program as well would give the revamped ACC the MCBB champions from 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2004, 2009, 2010, and 2011. That would be pretty stout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom