Article: Dorka Juhasz | The Boneyard

Article: Dorka Juhasz

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Her Hoops Stats Newsletter looked at this year's transfers to rank their potential influence with their new team. On the top of the heap: Dorka Juhasz.

Dorka Juhasz, F, UConn (previously: Ohio State). A 6-foot-5 player with post skills and a perimeter shot, Juhasz could have a big impact on what is already a loaded UConn team. Here’s why: the Huskies’ talent leans toward the backcourt, and last season its opponents grabbed 9.7 offensive rebounds a game, which ranked 37th overall. Juhasz’s rebounding alone will make UConn harder to beat; her outside shot makes it costlier to help defend against UConn’s other offensive threats. It might seem a little crazy to write this, but I can see her having a larger impact this season than her teammate Azzi Fudd, the nation’s top recruit.

#2: Kamilla Cardoso

The newsletter is in my maill, so I can't give you an online source.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with the conclusion. Regardless of individual talent, Dorka fills a bigger hole this year than Azzi for this particular team.
I respectfully disagree: other than Paige B our outside shooting was a real weakness last year and also contributed heavily to the poor showing by our frontcourt as teams could sag off into the lane. Hopefully that particular weakness has been eliminated with the addition of Azzi, Ducharme, a healthy Evina and Juhasz. In other words, we had two "big holes in our offense" last year. I believe the deficits in the frontcourt would have been much less glaring if teams were forced to play us honestly (again, except for PB) on the perimeter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree: other than Paige B our outside shooting was a real weakness last year and also contributed heavily to the poor showing by our frontcourt as teams could sag off into the lane. Hopefully that particular weakness has been eliminated with the addition of Azzi, Ducharme, a healthy Evina and Juhasz. In other words, we had two "big holes in our offense" last year. I believe the deficits in the frontcourt would have been much less glaring if teams were forced to play us honestly (again, except for PB) on the perimeter.
Precisely! Other than Paige the defense did not respect UCONN outside shooting enough last year. Evina and Christyn were far too streaky. This Geno quote summarizes it best.
“If she (Dorka) can make a couple of those on a regular basis,” Auriemma said, “I think that’s a huge help for what we’re trying to do.”
"Those" for Geno are deep shots and it better if it comes from our bigs. The things that UCONN likes to do is spread out the defense so as to create space below the arc for cutters. That takes advantage of the biggest offensive strength of this UCONN team which is the ability to pass the basketball. LIV is among the best passing bigs in the nation. Evina and Paige could easily be among the nations assist leaders if they played on separate teams. The other two projected starters Christyn and Aaliyah are very good passers but probably more important on a team with gifted passers is that they are both terrific finishers-among the nations best at their respective positions.

Reaction Score
Ok. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but let's not bring other players into the equation to try and prove your point. The question on the table was binary. Chrystin and Evina healthy combined with Ducharme's presence is not part of the question. Our front court faltered last year in big games and Dorka has shown some real good down low action and some outside action. Sorry but I still think a totle this year will show Dorka as the most valuable addition. I still think Azzi is the most elite talented and will play better.

As amazing as Azzi is, she isn't going to bail Liv or Aaliyah out of foul trouble or get points and rebounds when Liv eventually goes into a scaredy cat funk in a big game.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with the conclusion. Regardless of individual talent, Dorka fills a bigger hole this year than Azzi for this particular team.
That’s a bridge too far for me. While I do think Dorka will make a significant contribution this season, I believe Azzi has a chance to be the upgrade that most impacts this team. If she plays up to her press, she will almost singlehandedly make us unstoppable on offense. Last year there was Paige and everyone else in terms of a dominant three point attack. I believe Nika had the second best % after Paige at around 35-36%? If we can have two 42+% shooters (maybe three with Caroline Ducharme) from three, we are going to be a total nightmare for opposing teams! This is the “two-headed” monster that opposing coaches have to deal with when playing UConn. A tough defense paired with (potentially) a historically strong offense! That is a pretty tall order for most teams to deal with. I feel like MJ in Thriller, happily eating his popcorn as he watches what’s happening on screen. I believe this is going to be a season for the ages!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know I sound like a broken record, but Geno really wants to play 4 or 5 out where each player is a threat to score from the perimeter. That opens up the passing and cutting lanes. Plus it allows him to isolate one on one on the block. With Dorka and three guards he has that. To me one of the best signs I saw against Fort Worth was Evina going 3/4 from the arc. Along with Dorka that really puts the pressure on opposing teams to play up on UConn's shooters and it puts opposing teams forwards in a position they are unaccustomed to playing, high in the quarter court.

To me there is no fear in Liv's game. But there is a lot of rote. It's hard to imagine a right hander whose isn't taught a left leg drop step while putting it up with their right hand as their first move at a young age. That seems however not to have been the case with Liv. I'm certain this is something she works on constantly in practice, but once she gets in game she seems to forget all that practice stuff and spins over her right shoulder no matter how the defense is playing her. Against Fort Worth she had at least two occasions where if she'd spun left she had an easy two. To my way of thinking this is force of habit. However, if AE can develop some consistency from the elbow or with Dorka on her wing Liv can pass of the elbow in the triangle or work off the block with 4 out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A fun take/discussion.

IMO if Dorka is a 1st team all-american caliber in which she is terrific both inside and outside and with f/t's --then yes. If Dorka is not this and Azzi is "near Paige" then I'd say no.

UCONN couldn't push pace of play as much vs Baylor/and Arizona. Another extremely elite guard could possibly turn the conversation in a similar way like a few years ago when we heard Rebecca state on National TV that South Carolina cannot beat UCONN because they can't score enough. The grinding hard-nose defensive teams with limited offense won't have a chance. And the terrific perimeter teams won't be able to match up even if Paige is off if Azzi is near Paige.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree: other than Paige B our outside shooting was a real weakness last year
Why was the outside shooting be a real weakness last season? Was it because UCONN's inside game didn't need much defensive attention and therefore the opponent could relentlessly attack UConn's perimeter game? Was because UCONN's guards could make uncontested shots but when pressed defensively could not make contested shots? Better shooters always help but will they be able to make contested shoots when they had mostly uncontested shots all through jr. and sr. high school? Can Azzi and Caroline make contested shots when guarded by bigger, stronger, and/or faster college players? Nerves aside neither played like a wunderkind against a weak team, Fort Hays. Personally we are splitting hairs saying the biggest area for improvement is the post ... nn, no, no ... it is the guards shooting. It is demonstratively both. Caroline, Azzi, and Dorka are all needed to contribute positively. The Arkansas game will be interesting since Geno has said Dorka, Caroline, and Azzi will see a lot of minutes against Arkansas. Actually the next 4 games will tell where reality begins and our opinions end.

Reaction Score
Dorka is a vet while the others are freshman. I always want to see what Freshman do, no matter how highly they are rated, before I annoint them. Dorka has already played in college so we would know what ot expect from her. I said in a previous post a few days ago that I thought that Dorka probably will make the biggest difference to this teams chances to win a Nattie mainly because she addressed an area of weakness. It is less the quality of players you add, rather if they address and area of need.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
As well as Caroline Ducharme! Is it just me or does Caroline Ducharme impress anyone else?
I'm totally impressed, whn she adapts to the pressure of playing Uconn basketball and playing big games in front of big crowds she'll be a big piece on the chessboard. Thts a Fact not an opinion.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I'm curious, a person we seem to kinda be forgetting abt, Saylor, where does she fit in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom