Arrogant John Swofford ... picked the wrong teams | The Boneyard

Arrogant John Swofford ... picked the wrong teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Repeatedly. And SMUG all along the way.

Yes. In 2003, Miami seemed to be a safe choice. But Syracuse & BC? Given 20/20 hindsight ... and a little glimpse of what is coming in the next 10 years (and knowing that you are stuck with Wake & Duke), forget the academic hoity-toity. Virginia Tech was obviously a BIG value ... and they stumbled into taking them reluctantly. And ... I think West Virginia has more than proven to be the solid spot. And maybe Pitt. BC/SU is also discussed as solid markets. What a joke. In 10 years, both those brands will be diminished Football-wise. BC will belong to the Union College notable category with their prime specialty in Hockey; SU in Lacrosse.

If you really wanted to be in the top 5 ... Johnny with the boyish hair, you should have pushed for a return of the Gamecocks. Maybe even shown the foresight to see that USF has a far better football future than BC. But ... you loved smirking that phrase of playing a future ACC tourney at MSG. Your salad days are behind you. Not to be dismissive, scornful, disdainful, disgusted ... but I think I'd expect a little humility. A solid 16 team league ... would also include the Public Power of New
England - the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Don't know where you came from Pudge to write that, but I sure as hell am in the seat next to you as to where we're going.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Repeatedly. And SMUG all along the way.

Yes. In 2003, Miami seemed to be a safe choice. But Syracuse & BC? Given 20/20 hindsight ... and a little glimpse of what is coming in the next 10 years (and knowing that you are stuck with Wake & Duke), forget the academic hoity-toity. Virginia Tech was obviously a BIG value ... and they stumbled into taking them reluctantly. And ... I think West Virginia has more than proven to be the solid spot. And maybe Pitt. BC/SU is also discussed as solid markets. What a joke. In 10 years, both those brands will be diminished Football-wise. BC will belong to the Union College notable category with their prime specialty in Hockey; SU in Lacrosse.

If you really wanted to be in the top 5 ... Johnny with the boyish hair, you should have pushed for a return of the Gamecocks. Maybe even shown the foresight to see that USF has a far better football future than BC. But ... you loved smirking that phrase of playing a future ACC tourney at MSG. Your salad days are behind you. Not to be dismissive, scornful, disdainful, disgusted ... but I think I'd expect a little humility. A solid 16 team league ... would also include the Public Power of New
England - the University of Connecticut.

A lot of this is true but UConn and USF would still come running. Expecting the ACC to land South Carolina is like the posts that say the Big East could have grabbed Maryland or Penn State - pure fantasy.

You do realize that West Virginia is in the Big 12 right, since you stuck them between two ACC teams its hard to tell.

Reaction Score
Still not at a point where the ACC is doomed. Far from it.
regardless of the reasons (not invited, if they hold on to FSU/Clemson/GT/and Miami the ACC as a major football conference is very much alive and kicking.
The Big12 has ponied up to be the SEC's bi-yatch, and that along with the rumors lately about FSU and Clemson have given the perception that the Big12 is the 4th power conference. But if schools don't leave a conference for another, there's a reason. And that gives the ACC enough credibility (and weakens the Big12 just enough) to play another season at the big-boy table as an equal while the BE is shown to the kids table.
Let's not forget, it wasn't that long ago ND and Texas were rumored to be looking at the ACC and the death of the Big12 was imminent.
If you think Swofford is going to give you a tip of the cap, as he walks off into the sunset while he still has a couple more at-bats you're knucking futs...

Reaction Score
I will make no more comments referencing "silk purses and sow's ears".

This is our conference for the time being at least. I will welcome these new fans from Tenn., Texas, Idaho and where ever the hell else they will be coming from. I will continue to buy my season tickets and live a breath every win and loss. And all I will ask is that UCONN committ to putting the best football team on the field it possibly can so that we are a consistent winner and in the best position possible for the next round of conference realignment. Up to us fans to help with this also, btw.

Reaction Score

This is our conference for the time being at least. I will welcome these new fans from Tenn., Texas, Idaho and where ever the hell else they will be coming from. I will continue to buy my season tickets and live a breath every win and loss. And all I will ask is that UCONN committ to putting the best football team on the field it possibly can so that we are a consistent winner and in the best position possible for the next round of conference realignment. Up to us fans to help with this also, btw.
The thought of giving up my season tickets has NEVER crossed my mind.

Reaction Score

i'm looking forward to the new conference mates. i might try to fit a trip in down to Memphis to watch a game b/c it's one of the best cities you can spend a weekend. i'm also looking forward to welcoming guests from Tennessee, Texas, and i guess Idaho instead of the Cuse and Pitt fans. i'll miss the rivalries with those teams but they weren't anything irreplaceable. lets at least enjoy the novelties of new opponents for a few years. it's not like this is permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom