Around the Rim podcast: Around the brackets | The Boneyard

Around the Rim podcast: Around the brackets

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Should be an interesting listen:

LaChina Robinson welcomes in a hosts of analysts and experts to help break down the brackets for first and second rounds of the women's NCAA basketball tournament. Guests include analysts Monica McNutt, Christy Winters-Scott, Steffi Sorensen, Christy Thomaskutty, Megan Perry and Helen Williams and Storm coach Dan Hughes

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I was not familiar with Monica McNutt before this season but I really liked her analysis during the ACCT.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was not familiar with Monica McNutt before this season but I really liked her analysis during the ACCT.

When did she do analysis? At halftime or post game?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think there was a funny part at the beginning when LaChina decided to give each regional a "theme". For example, Greensboro was 'The post' because of all the spectacular post players, Chicago was ' bring your buckets' because of some of the best offensive teams etc. Albany, she themed as " so you think you can coach " bringing up Walz, Geno, Stringer, Brenda, Rueck and Holly. :D:D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She was doing analysis during halftime and between games during ACCT.

Ive seen her before doing games for the American Sport Network when that was a thing. Hadnt really heard from her since they went out of business.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This podcast was terrible

What made it terrible? I haven't listened yet. I'm interested in your thoughts. I've given her podcasts mixed reviews in the past.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Monica McNutt played for Georgetown during the Tina/Maya years. She typically had quite a lot to say before and after games. She thought Georgetown should be an E8 team every year. She once referred to Stef Dolson as "lumbering" during Stef's freshman year. I guess she was, but I don't think Stef's UConn teams ever lost to Georgetown and Stef eventually lumbered her way to an All-American and the WNBA.

Reaction Score
What made it terrible? I haven't listened yet. I'm interested in your thoughts. I've given her podcasts mixed reviews in the past.
LaChina spent half the podcast showering her guest "experts" with compliments, and little time on analyzing the brackets.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
LaChina spent half the podcast showering her guest "experts" with compliments, and little time on analyzing the brackets.

and since most of her guests are advocating conferences, every team is given a very positive spin. Still, there is some interesting info if you can filter.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
More so than normal? That's kind of her M.O. to rave on and on about how amazing this or that person is and indulge in "girl talk." With Kim Mulkey there was a whole discussion about how she chooses her outfits. With Niele Ivey about shoes, etc. etc. Ya know, all those things that cause us all to take women's basketball more seriously :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I liked the piece with Dan Hughes. (Maybe because he was not best dressed ;)). In particular, he was asked which players made the biggest jump and/or surprised him regarding how they could move up the draft board.

1) He thought Sophie Cunningham was a bit of a surprise with how she handled pressure bringing up the ball often against tough SEC pressure. I did not notice that myself but I guess it must have been true

2) Alanna Smith. He was very impressed with her both in the Word Cup and in taking over for Stanford. Just a very big jump.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
2) Alanna Smith. He was very impressed with her both in the Word Cup and in taking over for Stanford. Just a very big jump.

Smith seemed to get off to a slow start each season but finish strong. I thought she was their best post player at the end of her Soph year, and that was with a Sr. Erica McCall still around. I expected a breakout year for her as a Jr., but she (as well as the whole team) got off to a terrible start. She was playing really well late in the year. This year she played the way she was capable of right from the get go.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
\

I was in Tenerife at the World Cup and was really impressed with Smith. I was a little surprised how well she played given the competition. I remember thinking she was going to have a special senior year at Stanford.

Reaction Score
Alana Smith is still my POY. Hopefully she shows everyone in NCAA Tournament

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Should be an interesting listen:

LaChina Robinson welcomes in a hosts of analysts and experts to help break down the brackets for first and second rounds of the women's NCAA basketball tournament. Guests include analysts Monica McNutt, Christy Winters-Scott, Steffi Sorensen, Christy Thomaskutty, Megan Perry and Helen Williams and Storm coach Dan Hughes
Please define “experts”? I mean were any of us asked to participate? I don’t think so, so really there can’t be any experts on this :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom