Army VS UConn... in Yankee Stadium. | The Boneyard

Army VS UConn... in Yankee Stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Personally, I think it is an absolutely great idea and should be done every year. Sooner or later one team is going to be very good. Wish more UConn fans from Gold Coast showed up at the stadium. This could be a very fun thing in the future. UConn fans should know that Big 10 was watching and we might have blown it by not packing the stadium. Maybe we could run trains for the game from Ct if we get another chance.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree that we should schedule more games in and around New York and Boston. I disagree that the fan showing wasn't good. I think 27K was very good considering that the game was a battle of two awful 2-6 teams.

For reference point, 7-1 Rutgers drew a shade over 30K to play against a 1-win Army team in 2012. That RU team was playing for its first BCS bowl berth in the history of the program. The fact that we drew as many fans (or damn close to it) in a lost season like this one as '12 RU did is a good thing, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Perhaps "we could run trains for the game from Ct..." was meant sarcastically.

We planned to take the 12:49 from Fairfield express to the stadium. The platform was a virtual catalog of UCONN clothing as we waited for the train. And waited. Around 1:05 the train to Grand Central arrived. We didn't think it was our train, but the voice on the weak speaker system said something about Yankee Stadium, so the masses plowed on. The trainman, a proud UCONN grad, said that the express train was full by Bridgeport so they sent it right through. Capacity reached after FOUR of the 12 stops.

Metro North clearly underestimated the draw for the game. And it shows that there's a big fan base in New Haven and Fairfield counties. Next time they can do a better job with train service.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

We planned to take the 12:49 from Fairfield express to the stadium. The platform was a virtual catalog of UCONN clothing as we waited for the train. And waited. Around 1:05 the train to Grand Central arrived. We didn't think it was our train, but the voice on the weak speaker system said something about Yankee Stadium, so the masses plowed on. The trainman, a proud UCONN grad, said that the express train was full by Bridgeport so they sent it right through. Capacity reached after FOUR of the 12 stops.

Metro North clearly underestimated the draw for the game. And it shows that there's a big fan base in New Haven and Fairfield counties. Next time they can do a better job with train service.

wow - that sucks if you were on waiting at stop 5-12...

And for you soccer Moms - heads up if the National Team is going to play at Yankee Stadium someday and not the Rent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Subways in New York were the same way. We got on at 59th streett and it was a sea of blue and white.

Reaction Score
I agree that we should schedule more games in and around New York and Boston. I disagree that the fan showing wasn't good. I think 27K was very good considering that the game was a battle of two awful 2-6 teams.

For reference point, 7-1 Rutgers drew a shade over 30K to play against a 1-win Army team in 2012. That RU team was playing for its first BCS bowl berth in the history of the program. The fact that we drew as many fans (or damn close to it) in a lost season like this one as '12 RU did is a good thing, in my opinion.

If we do it again [or when we do it again], I would hope we could use one of the real football stadiums. Sight lines were terrible. The excitement of the crowd got lost in the vast distance between the stands accross the field. And by the way for all those complaining about the Rent. The Rent's video board is far better. Hate to be a naysayer, but the endless schilling for the Academy also got tired. I recognize they were the home team, but enough already.
One thing I did like was the lack of tired games for the fans at each time out that we have at the Rent..

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Technically, the train was full by West Haven - 2 stops in. A 6-2 UConn team would pack Yankee stadium.

Reaction Score
Padutch5 said:
If we do it again [or when we do it again], I would hope we could use one of the real football stadiums. Sight lines were terrible. The excitement of the crowd got lost in the vast distance between the stands accross the field. And by the way for all those complaining about the Rent. The Rent's video board is far better. Hate to be a naysayer, but the endless schilling for the Academy also got tired. I recognize they were the home team, but enough already.
One thing I did like was the lack of tired games for the fans at each time out that we have at the Rent..

Yankee Stadium is the most convenient venue for us in NYC. I don't see many complaints about sight lines. It was actually better than I thought it would be and would be happy to go back.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Yankee Stadium is the most convenient venue for us in NYC. I don't see many complaints about sight lines. It was actually better than I thought it would be and would be happy to go back.
Agreed. I was at the 20 yard line in the main level and the view was great. Can't wait for another game there.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I was at the 20 yard line in the main level and the view was great. Can't wait for another game there.

The only way to see the game at the 50 yard line, section 110, was to watch the second rate video board. At least we got the watch the cheerleadersw.

Reaction Score
We were in section 109, 45 yard line-ish. The section was close to the right field foul pole, and set back as far away from the sideline as you could be. Oh, and then there was the roaming camera platform that was in our sight line any time the ball was between the 30s. If we went to another game in Yankee Stadium, I'm not sure where I'd want to sit. Maybe closer to the home plate area, or near the visitors' dugout to see the team enter and exit the field. I would go back, but it's not a contender for my favorite football venue.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think it is an absolutely great idea and should be done every year. Sooner or later one team is going to be very good. Wish more UConn fans from Gold Coast showed up at the stadium. This could be a very fun thing in the future. UConn fans should know that Big 10 was watching and we might have blown it by not packing the stadium. Maybe we could run trains for the game from Ct if we get another chance.
Not packing the stadium is not what blew UConn's chance in CR. If the B10 was watching then they would see how comparable UConn is to Rutgers as far as attendance at a game at Yankee Stadium. Meaningless statistic for one lousy game. UConn packed MSG. Didn't help. UConn beat Louisville in football in 2012, didn't help. Packing a stadium doesn't help. Maybe if it was a game against a power 5 school more UConn fans would show up. No one is going to pay to watch a losing team play another loser. They can watch it on cable which they are paying for anyway. Don't put UConn's demise on the fans, it is not their fault. Small time thinking and lazy administrators crushed UConn. Not the fans.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I DID think the tank races were sweet. lol

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
From section 210- I thought the view was rather great. I can understand how the 100s were probably too low.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
From section 210- I thought the view was rather great. I can understand how the 100s were probably too low.
yeah, i was in row 6 below and all I could see was helmets... we ended up in 210, in the last row and had a great view.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
We had the Batters Eye seats in CenterField, End Zone. Awesome seats. I can see the complaints about the sightlines and closeness to field though.

Reaction Score
Not a Yankee fan but it is a nice venue for football, Steinbrenner sr. did nice job planning stadium with football as he was a football guy at heart . Like the baseball stadiums rather than NFL stadiums for college football as with around 30K attendance looks empty in 80,000 NFL seat stadiums. If we could keep six home games at rent most years, would love to see a game once a year rotate between Yankee Stadium, Fenway and CitiField to build up NYC presence and lock down New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom