Armchair Coaching | The Boneyard

Armchair Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been lurking this board for awhile and finally decided to register and post. I noticed early on in the season that the Huskies were going to have some trouble scoring this year. Looking back of course I think most people would agree we had a pretty good defensive team and a putrid offensive team. Some of that, as other people have posted, is due to the fact that we just didn't have enough players who could score.

If you watched them play all year, and I did, the offensive execution was pretty much the same almost every game. Boatright, Hamilton and guard or forward #3 be it TSam, Purvis, or Calhoun dribble and pass around the top of the key then take a three pointer after wasting most of the shot clock. Rinse and repeat. With a few exceptions like Coppin State or occassional dribble drives. That is if they get the shot off and don't turn it over. They didn't seem to actually have any offensive execution at all. Or actually be running anything. Nobody ever seemed to get into that spot at the top of key that is always open when playing against 2-3 zones. They would just shoot over it. And miss. A lot.

They also didn't seem to make any concerted effort at all to get the ball into the low post or into the paint period other than the few games where Hamilton lobbed to Brimah for dunks. Why not? Brimah is 7 feet tall. Throw him the ball! Nolan can score around the basket. Even Facey showed he could do that when given the opportunity. Wouldn't a better inside offensive game have given the guards more room to shoot because the defense would have to sag some?
I'm armchair coaching when the reality probably is that they just aren't talented enough offensively to score. But I was yelling at the TV during so many games "get the ball inside!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky
Top Bottom