Arm strength... | The Boneyard

Arm strength...

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Chandler doesn't have it.

$100 says Casey or Lagow starts next season.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
PM me. $100 to you if Whitmer starts, $100 to me if it's Casey or Richard?

Anyone else is a push.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm with Whaler on this one. The choice right now is between someone with 10 NCAA starts versus two players yet to take a snap at the D-1 level??? I think both Cochran and Lagow are going to be good ones, but I'm also guessing that Whaler just made a hundred bucks...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wait, it just dawned on me: Lurker, are you saying that they will at some point in the season get a start? Or that they will be the regular starter? Because those are two different things. If Whitmer gets hurt and can't play in a game next year, then yes, one of those two will start a game...Whaler, get some clarity on your Benjamin...

Reaction Score
Arm strength is not necessary to be a successful college (or pro for that matter) qb. Limiting turnovers (which Whitmer needs a lot of work on), and a high completion percentage are higher priorities.

Reaction Score
Whitmer had a terrible game today. No way getting around it, but arm strength isn't his problem. Its decision making, throwing the ball up for grabs at inopportune times. I'm hoping with a years experience he can be real good. Today he was just real bad.

Reaction Score
Whitmer had a terrible game today. No way getting around it, but arm strength isn't his problem. Its decision making, throwing the ball up for grabs at inopportune times. I'm hoping with a years experience he can be real good. Today he was just real bad.

The knock against Chandler was that he was prone to INT's. Unfortunately that proved to be the case during this season. He really needs to solve that problem. If the play isn't there he needs to throw it away. And he needs to do a better job reading the D.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He wasn't very good today. He still had a half dozen drops go against him in the first half at least. He's also spent the entire season getting blasted by unblocked defenders. It was a miracle he went 10.5 games without getting hurt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I figured we were talking about game 1.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Wait, it just dawned on me: Lurker, are you saying that they will at some point in the season get a start? Or that they will be the regular starter? Because those are two different things. If Whitmer gets hurt and can't play in a game next year, then yes, one of those two will start a game...Whaler, get some clarity on your Benjamin...

My position is that Casey or Richard starts the first game in 2013. Whaler says it'll be Chandler.

If it's anyone else the bet is mute.

Reaction Score
He wasn't very good today. He still had a half dozen drops go against him in the first half at least. He's also spent the entire season getting blasted by unblocked defenders. It was a miracle he went 10.5 games without getting hurt.
agreed I have no idea how he survived Syracuse. He didn't look like he got rung That bad so I would be surprised if he didn't play next week.

Bridgewater on the other hand is going to be ha ing nightmares tonight. That boy took a beating. How he got up after the Moore willmaan sack is unbelievable.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I thought the same thing, Noey. Watch the film again, especially our first few possessions. That's not an upper level D1 arm and you can't convince me otherwise.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I figured we were talking about game 1.

We are. $100 to the winner. Good luck.

No matter which one of us wins I hope the winning QB separates himself by a huge margin.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We are. $100 to the winner. Good luck.

No matter which one of us wins I hope the winning QB separates himself by a huge margin.

You've got a kid that has been hurt his entire redshirt year and a kid who hasn't signed his LOI yet. I'm pretty sure you'll need the luck ;).

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing, Noey. Watch the film again, especially our first few possessions. That's not an upper level D1 arm and you can't convince me otherwise.
He doesn't have the strongest arm and today for whatever reason it looked worse. When he is on, however he has shown he can hit a receiver in stride, and go through his progressions. When you consider our history of QB play since our upgrade, you appreciate simple things like that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Whitmer was good in the 1st half and then was just abysmal in the 2nd half.

At some points during the games I feel very confident that he'll be at least an average/competent QB for us the next two seasons, then at other points it just feels like the past 8 or so seasons.

Do we think he starts out well because we put him in good situations, then the defense adjusts and we get totally out of whack?

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think he's the type of QB that looks good when we fall behind early and are forced to throw. In that scenario the pressure is off, and the constant throwing allows him to get into a groove. Today, trying to nurse a 10 point lead he was horrible. The only thing I could say to defend him was that every pattern was a short one. I don't know. Hopefully, at the very least, Casey Cochran really pushes him next year. Steel sharpens Steel.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I never said I was confident. I think Whitmer has been a huge upgrade but just don't believe he has the arm to have locked up the job for two more years. I pray that one of my unknowns comes as advertised or that an unnamed sleeper emerges.

I'd also happily lose the bet if it means that Chandler makes me eat my words. Don't you yearn for the kid who just comes in and takes the job for 4 years? I want our Manziel! Minus the Appalachian forehead and meth lab like mugshots.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

+1000

Reaction Score
If you're not a big strong guy with a strong arm you really need to have some good mobility or a real set of instincts and judgement to be successful at this level. Is Chandler really 6'1" because he doesn't look it? He has good awareness in the pocket and flashes of accuracy, but hasn't shown the consistency or the instincts to this point to take him to the next level of the upper half of the league. Of course you have to consider both the o-line and OC as mitigating factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom