Arkeel Newsome will be ready | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome will be ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Arkeel Newsome on the right, 1RM @ 405
Sharrieff Grice (RB/DB, Kingswood-Oxford, 2015) on the left, 2RM @ 410

Saw Arkeel a few weeks ago working out. The kid was working hard. He looks to have added some bulk to his frame. People can question his height but the kid is ridiculously explosive and powerful with great balance. He was working on explosion and balance when I saw him. I was training some baseball players at the time, they were in awe of Arkeel's workout. They wanted to know who he was. I told them he's the future of UConn Football. I can't wait to see him in a Husky uniform.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I assume he get on campus for summer sessions, yes? Then he can work with Balis.

Reaction Score
I assume he get on campus for summer sessions, yes? Then he can work with Balis.
I would have to think all the 2014 commits have a position-specific strength and conditioning program, for in-coming freshman football players, from Coach Balis with player specific goals and nutritional guidelines. Most programs get them out to recruits after their LOI is in. I would also have to believe in-coming players will be measured and tested once they arrive on campus in the summer. Newsome is a tireless worker and his S&C coach is an Ansonia and UConn alum, so I think they'll make sure he's physically and mentally prepared for camp.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would have to think all the 2014 commits have a position-specific strength and conditioning program, for in-coming freshman football players, from Coach Balis with player specific goals and nutritional guidelines. Most programs get them out to recruits after their LOI is in. I would also have to believe in-coming players will be measured and tested once they arrive on campus in the summer. Newsome is a tireless worker and his S&C coach is an Ansonia and UConn alum, so I think they'll make sure he's physically and mentally prepared for camp.

Thanks! I am hoping he will be ready to play this year.

Reaction Score
If he blows away the competion play him. Otherwise a red shirt year not a bad idea . would be nice to see a ct bred offense in Boyle Newsome in a few years.

Reaction Score
I spoke briefly to Arkeel the other day. He has added bulk (8-10 Lbs) and looks much bigger then he did at the end of the Fall. He looks forward to beginning his UConn career in July and he will be physically ready to play right away. He knows he has a lot of work ahead of him and is up to the challenge.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I spoke briefly to Arkeel the other day. He has added bulk (8-10 Lbs) and looks much bigger then he did at the end of the Fall. He looks forward to beginning his UConn career in July and he will be physically ready to play right away. He knows he has a lot of work ahead of him and is up to the challenge.
Really excited about seeing him in action. Appreciate the update.

Reaction Score

Arkeel Newsome on the right, 1RM @ 405
Sharrieff Grice (RB/DB, Kingswood-Oxford, 2015) on the left, 2RM @ 410

Saw Arkeel a few weeks ago working out. The kid was working hard. He looks to have added some bulk to his frame. People can question his height but the kid is ridiculously explosive and powerful with great balance. He was working on explosion and balance when I saw him. I was training some baseball players at the time, they were in awe of Arkeel's workout. They wanted to know who he was. I told them he's the future of UConn Football. I can't wait to see him in a Husky uniform.

Reaction Score
I just took the previous past and added too it. It begins with Casey and may end with Boyle.

Casey shows "it" in live game action... IMO, he's not gonna lose his spot... barring injury...

Reaction Score
Casey shows "it" in live game action... IMO, he's not gonna lose his spot... barring injury...

Casey will graduate before Boyle, meaning the CT born offense will be led by Casey until he graduates and presumably Boyle after.

Reaction Score
Casey will graduate before Boyle, meaning the CT born offense will be led by Casey until he graduates and presumably Boyle after.
I mean they are both sophomores right now...

Boyle very well could redshirt, but that would only give him and Newsome one year without Casey.

Reaction Score
If he blows away the competion play him. Otherwise a red shirt year not a bad idea . would be nice to see a ct bred offense in Boyle Newsome in a few years.

I never mind redshirting a player, but I don't mind a RB playing as a true freshman. Great RBs tend to leave early anyway, so if he can help on the field get him out there. On paper, Newsome is our highest touted recruit ever at the position, and probably a top 3 highest touted player we've brought in regardless of position, so I'm hoping to see him on the field next year.

Reaction Score
THe quickest, and easiest way on the field, and one of the most needed ways to help the program right away is as a kick returner. I hope the kid can come on the field over the summer, and into fall camp and blow away the competition there. He seems to have really good field vision and speed. He can prepare all he wants to be a regular tailback, but coming in as a fall freshmen, into a new system, and adjusting to the speed of the division 1 game, and understanding and reading, and then actually nailing the blocking assignments (his own and the guys in front of him) - just not realistic to expect that out of the gate. If he can do all of that by the end of the season, he'll be ahead of the curve.

But the kick return game, and having a threat to take it to the house back there every time he touches the ball - huge part of getting us back to the regular wins. We've been missing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom