Arkeel Newsome and Ervin Philips | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome and Ervin Philips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Headlined the annual Ansonia/West Haven scrimmage, dubbed the pre-season Super Bowl. Both teams look primed for big things in 2013 with the return of two of the top players in CT. Although the game was a defensive battle in the first half, neither Newsome or Philips disappointed. Ansonia jumped out to an early lead on a Newsome run. The score follow a big blind side sack/fumble recovery on an attempted Westies pass. Philips answer shortly after with a 30-yard burst though the middle of the Ansonia defense. Both defenses settled in and the two powerhouses headed to the half knotted at one score apiece. Newsome took over in the second half. Showing elusiveness, burst, and a physical running style, enroute to 3 second half scores, including a 70-yd burst down the Ansonia sideline. Ansonia took a 4 scores to 1 lead before the Westies found the end zone late, as the varsity score ended 4-2 in favor or the Chargers.

Both Newsome and Philips are big-time talents. It should be an exciting year for CTHS football. Look for both teams to be in the hunt for state titles come December. Stay tuned.....

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Great report, Kris1.

In your honest opinion, should we book either team for one of our future open dates or would it be a trap game?

Reaction Score
Phillips should announce very soon - my sense is Cuse but we'll see.

Reaction Score
I'm in Ct for two two weeks does Andonia scrimmage Shelton!
Did I miss it.

Reaction Score
Phillips should announce very soon - my sense is Cuse but we'll see.
I definitely think he's a 'Cuse lean at this point. I believe he's scheduled to visit Utah in the near future.

On a side note, I read an article on one-time BC recruit, David Coggins (WR). For those that aren't familiar, Coggins had a huge sophomore season at Sacred Heart (Wtby.) then lit up the combine circuit the following summer. BC offered. Coggins broke his leg in a scrimmage prior to his junior year and missed the entire season. Uncertain if BC would pull his offer, Coggins felt he needed a big senior season. He looked to transfer to Naugatuck, who had a talented team returning. What followed was a recruiting violation, CIAC sanctions, Naugatuck's HC was fired, and Coggins was caught in the middle and subsequently suspended for part of his senior season after returning to Sacred Heart. The scandal, a poor season, a lack of production, and poor academics led to BC pulling Coggins scholarship. Today Coggins, who still has aspirations of D1 football (and the NFL), will play Sprint Football (participants must weight less than 172 lbs) at Post University. It's a second chance at getting noticed without losing D1 eligibility. Coggins hopes a productive year will give him the highlight tape and the academics necessary to get himself a D1 offer in 2014.

Reaction Score
Don't know about Andonia (;)) but Ansonia does on the 5th @ 1800hrs (home)
Thanks
The kindle keyboard sucks you have to put your finger on the a to get the s . No excuse for not editing.
I assume you mean Jarvis. Is Shelton decent?

Reaction Score
Don't know about Andonia (;)) but Ansonia does on the 5th @ 1800hrs (home)
I think there is ZERO chance Newsome dresses for the Shelton scrimmage. Tonight was his tune up and test drive. He'll be rested and healthy for week 1.

Reaction Score
Thanks
The kindle keyboard sucks you have to put your finger on the a to get the s . No excuse for not editing.
I assume you mean Jarvis. Is Shelton decent?

Kidding on the typo...

Kris1 is the Valley footballl guru - he should have the intel on Shelton this year.

Reaction Score
I definitely think he's a 'Cuse lean at this point. I believe he's scheduled to visit Utah in the near future.

On a side note, I read an article on one-time BC recruit, David Coggins (WR). For those that aren't familiar, Coggins had a huge sophomore season at Sacred Heart (Wtby.) then lit up the combine circuit the following summer. BC offered. Coggins broke his leg in a scrimmage prior to his junior year and missed the entire season. Uncertain if BC would pull his offer, Coggins felt he needed a big senior season. He looked to transfer to Naugatuck, who had a talented team returning. What followed was a recruiting violation, CIAC sanctions, Naugatuck's HC was fired, and Coggins was caught in the middle and subsequently suspended for part of his senior season after returning to Sacred Heart. The scandal, a poor season, a lack of production, and poor academics led to BC pulling Coggins scholarship. Today Coggins, who still has aspirations of D1 football (and the NFL), will play Sprint Football (participants must weight less than 172 lbs) at Post University. It's a second chance at getting noticed without losing D1 eligibility. Coggins hopes a productive year will give him the highlight tape and the academics necessary to get himself a D1 offer in 2014.
That case is a conundrum to me. How can it be a recruiting violation if a kid transfers from a private institution (Sacred Heart) to a public (Naugatuck) unless he's not a Naugy resident? If he is, it would seem to be cut & dry that he should be able to transfer without penalty.

Reaction Score
That case is a conundrum to me. How can it be a recruiting violation if a kid transfers from a private institution (Sacred Heart) to a public (Naugatuck) unless he's not a Naugy resident? If he is, it would seem to be cut & dry that he should be able to transfer without penalty.
His mother was given $1000 by the Naugatuck Booster Club, to pay off tuition he stilled owed Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart would not release his transcripts until the tuition was paid.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Love this run by Philips against Greenwich. Game was suspended with WH leading 13-7 with 8:22 remaining in the 3Q.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
His mother was given $1000 by the Naugatuck Booster Club, to pay off tuition he stilled owed Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart would not release his transcripts until the tuition was paid.

So you're saying he's an SEC lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul