Arizona WBB and Softball updates | The Boneyard

Arizona WBB and Softball updates

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just updating that (apparently) new additions to Arizona's roster were finalized; they include grad transfer Trinity Baptiste (Va Tech), transfer Bendu Yeaney (Indiana), Marta Garcia (Spain), Derin Erdogan (Turkey) and Lauren Ware (top 100 recruit).

Also was an article on softball, indicating that Arizona is expecting a cost of about $600,000 due to expanded spring eligibility. As applied to Softball, Jessie Harper plans to return, as does Alyssa Palomino-Cardozza; Palomino has extremely bad knees and views this as her last chance to play the sport she loves. Martinez has a tough decision as she is scheduled to begin graduate study at NAU in the fall, but apparently hasn't decided; Mulipola missed this season as she is on the USA Olympic Team, so with the postponed Olympics, who knows (she was scheduled to return post Olympics). Nothing on the other 2 eligible returnies, except that Candrea is "hopeful".

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Just updating that (apparently) new additions to Arizona's roster were finalized; they include grad transfer Trinity Baptiste (Va Tech), transfer Bendu Yeaney (Indiana), Marta Garcia (Spain), Derin Erdogan (Turkey) and Lauren Ware (top 100 recruit).

Also was an article on softball, indicating that Arizona is expecting a cost of about $600,000 due to expanded spring eligibility. As applied to Softball, Jessie Harper plans to return, as does Alyssa Palomino-Cardozza; Palomino has extremely bad knees and views this as her last chance to play the sport she loves. Martinez has a tough decision as she is scheduled to begin graduate study at NAU in the fall, but apparently hasn't decided; Mulipola missed this season as she is on the USA Olympic Team, so with the postponed Olympics, who knows (she was scheduled to return post Olympics). Nothing on the other 2 eligible returnies, except that Candrea is "hopeful".
Softball doesnt have to give full scholarships, although they can.

When I saw the name Erdogan, from Turkey, I was wondering. But he does not have a daughter by that name.

Reaction Score
Softball is going to be crazy moving forward the next few years with the NCAA adding the extra year of eligibility. I don't know how coaches will be able to keep everyone happy with these super rosters. Although in many cases, some schools may not be able to afford this all. Wisconsin announced seniors were not allowed to return. The transfer portal will be heating up as young players who are highly recruited may not want to wait 2-3 years to play regularly/start.

As an LSU fan, I was dissapointed the season ended, I really really liked our team this year. The foundation of the entire team were freshmen and sophomores which is exciting.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Wisconsin say that seniors could return, but not receive scholarship $? I could be wrong about that...

Reaction Score
Didn’t Wisconsin say that seniors could return, but not receive scholarship $? I could be wrong about that...

This is what I saw released by Wisconsin AD.

"The athletic department has made the decision to not pursue waivers that would extend the eligibility of our senior student-athletes. Student-athletes in their fourth year of eligibility have concluded their careers with us. This group of student-athletes has our full support up to, including and beyond graduation. They are Badgers for life and we are greatly appreciative of the way they have represented our department and the university."

I think they can transfer though. The AD talked about not wanting to go through the headaches's of a financial issue down the road and dealing with the roster size problems and how the dominoes impact future recruiting classes and teams. Understandable but other programs obviously will take advantage of the eligibility. Especially schools that go all in for their sports.

Reaction Score
Thanks - that certainly sounds like “there’s the door.” I thought it was a financial decision, but maybe not. Appreciate the quote!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This is what I saw released by Wisconsin AD.

"The athletic department has made the decision to not pursue waivers that would extend the eligibility of our senior student-athletes. Student-athletes in their fourth year of eligibility have concluded their careers with us. This group of student-athletes has our full support up to, including and beyond graduation. They are Badgers for life and we are greatly appreciative of the way they have represented our department and the university."

I think they can transfer though. The AD talked about not wanting to go through the headaches's of a financial issue down the road and dealing with the roster size problems and how the dominoes impact future recruiting classes and teams. Understandable but other programs obviously will take advantage of the eligibility. Especially schools that go all in for their sports.
I'm not sure of the transfer possibilities. The Wisconsin issue was noted in the AZ paper; the AZ AD, Dave Heeke, committed from the beginning to welcoming folks back. I don't 100% disagree with the idea that it can really mess things up going forward.

The appeal in softball at AZ to come back is that they are very, very good and can dream of another chance at a NC.

Reaction Score
Thanks - that certainly sounds like “there’s the door.” I thought it was a financial decision, but maybe not. Appreciate the quote!

Maybe I am misunderstanding it but that is what I found.

I can see both sides of the argument. A lot of the spring sports only played like 1/3 of their seasons (baseball and softball). I can see how unfair it can be to take away a full year because of all of this. For many, there is no pro ball after this, that would be the end of their entire sporting careers so I know many would want to have the opportunity to finish out their careers.

On the other hand, this creates a fiasco when it comes to roster sizes, scholarship management and incoming freshmen/recruits. It would be unfair to them as well with all this happening.

Seems everyone is in a no win situation. I hope it all works out.

As an LSU fan I am dissapointed that spring was cut short. A lot of great things were happening. Our beach volleyball team was ranked #1, Softball was in the top 5, men and women track and field was set up for a possible championship in the top 3. Our gymnastics team was #6 but we were too banged up to compete very far in the postseason but still.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe I am misunderstanding it but that is what I found.

I can see both sides of the argument. A lot of the spring sports only played like 1/3 of their seasons (baseball and softball). I can see how unfair it can be to take away a full year because of all of this. For many, there is no pro ball after this, that would be the end of their entire sporting careers so I know many would want to have the opportunity to finish out their careers.

On the other hand, this creates a fiasco when it comes to roster sizes, scholarship management and incoming freshmen/recruits. It would be unfair to them as well with all this happening.

Seems everyone is in a no win situation. I hope it all works out.

As an LSU fan I am dissapointed that spring was cut short. A lot of great things were happening. Our beach volleyball team was ranked #1, Softball was in the top 5, men and women track and field was set up for a possible championship in the top 3. Our gymnastics team was #6 but we were too banged up to compete very far in the postseason but still.

I know how you feel, here at Cornell we had the #1 ranked men's and women's hockey teams and both had a better than average shot at national titles. I felt horrible for the seniors who put in 4 years of work and had to walk away from it all. The good news is that they leave with an Ivy League education

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom